Rogers (Canada) just released Wifi Calling to Android Devices. Pull settings for Windows Mobile?

StephenWagner7

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
So I found out that Rogers announced May 31st that they are launching Wifi Calling on Android devices.

I'm just curious, if we were able to get the IMS settings for VoLTE and Wifi Calling off of one of these Android phones, is there any way we could program in the settings (maybe using a registry editor) in to a Lumia 950XL (for example)?

I'm dying while waiting for Wifi calling on Rogers with my 950XL lol

StephenWagner7

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
Interesting idea albeit it is risky as modifying the registry can render the device useless.

Ya, but worst case scenario you just use the recovery tool and reflash the device... (AFAIK)

I've messed with the registry trying to forcibly turn on VoLTE and Wifi Calling, but can't even get the toggle switches to show up. This wouldn't work anyways because the IMS information needs to be configured.

I've been digging around the registry looking for APN configurations, but haven't been able to find any yet (I haven't looked too too hard). But if we could get all the IMS settings required, and if we found out where this information is stored in the registry, technically we should be able to get it work.

I'm starting to think more and more that it's not blocking customers by IMEI, but they just don't provision the settings, sending them out to devices via carrier configuration updates instead.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, you might be able to figure out how to set these (okay, so you definitely can, but it might be part of the OEM firmware that's protected, harder still).

I've long contemplated this. However, if your provider (in my case AT&T) doesn't support the routing on their side, for your phone, I don't think your call can go anywhere, you're just "able" to make a call, if there were a server to connect to.
This is the other piece of the puzzle, your provider has to set up routing for this, for anything to work, unfortuately.

My workaround, for now, is to use a Google Voice account, and forward to it when I'm at a location where I know I won't have cellular service. If you run the mobile GV interface in a browser, the battery hit is small, but calls get routed to the regular calling interface just fine, and you can text from the GV in interface. While it's not ideal, I figure it's a stop-gap (or at least that's what I'm telling myself ;-]).

StephenWagner7

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, you might be able to figure out how to set these (okay, so you definitely can, but it might be part of the OEM firmware that's protected, harder still).

I've long contemplated this. However, if your provider (in my case AT&T) doesn't support the routing on their side, for your phone, I don't think your call can go anywhere, you're just "able" to make a call, if there were a server to connect to.
This is the other piece of the puzzle, your provider has to set up routing for this, for anything to work, unfortuately.

My workaround, for now, is to use a Google Voice account, and forward to it when I'm at a location where I know I won't have cellular service. If you run the mobile GV interface in a browser, the battery hit is small, but calls get routed to the regular calling interface just fine, and you can text from the GV in interface. While it's not ideal, I figure it's a stop-gap (or at least that's what I'm telling myself ;-]).

Totally understandable.

Way back when they first launched Wifi Calling, I was trying to get it to work (with no success of course). After some phone calls to my provider, they have Wifi Calling "forcibly" enabled on my SIM. I've confirmed this, however I still don't have the settings required for it to work. I think all the routing is setup, the provider simply doesn't provision devices over the air, they only do it through "Carrier Bundles" with iPhones, and Carrier approved firmware with android devices.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Totally understandable.

Way back when they first launched Wifi Calling, I was trying to get it to work (with no success of course). After some phone calls to my provider, they have Wifi Calling "forcibly" enabled on my SIM. I've confirmed this, however I still don't have the settings required for it to work. I think all the routing is setup, the provider simply doesn't provision devices over the air, they only do it through "Carrier Bundles" with iPhones, and Carrier approved firmware with android devices.

Wow, you're lucky, I wish MY provider would do that!
If you can get AT&T to turn provision my account/phone, I'll code up something to try and scribble to the API that changes these ;-]
Not sure if it'll work, or like I said, it's possible that this part of the firmware/code is fairly locked down, but it could.
Mind you, I long ago de-installed my mobile development environment, so I'd have to get everything spun back up and dialed for W10, never did any dev on it...

StephenWagner7

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
Wow, you're lucky, I wish MY provider would do that!
If you can get AT&T to turn provision my account/phone, I'll code up something to try and scribble to the API that changes these ;-]
Not sure if it'll work, or like I said, it's possible that this part of the firmware/code is fairly locked down, but it could.
Mind you, I long ago de-installed my mobile development environment, so I'd have to get everything spun back up and dialed for W10, never did any dev on it...

It took a bunch of phone calls, I mentioned I was trying to get an iPhone working with Wifi-Calling but was having issues (technically this is true since I was experimenting with an iPhone), but their system wasn't detecting the IMEI of an iPhone fast enough for the provisioning to take effect.

Finally they escalated it to a higher tier, and poof, they force enabled it on the SIM. So that took care of that.

But at the same time, even with it enabled, my phone doesn't receive the configuration for IMS services because they don't provision it to devices over the network. I think they use carrier updates with partners (Carrier bundles on iPhone, and carrier software updates with Android).

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
It took a bunch of phone calls, I mentioned I was trying to get an iPhone working with Wifi-Calling but was having issues (technically this is true since I was experimenting with an iPhone), but their system wasn't detecting the IMEI of an iPhone fast enough for the provisioning to take effect.

Finally they escalated it to a higher tier, and poof, they force enabled it on the SIM. So that took care of that.

But at the same time, even with it enabled, my phone doesn't receive the configuration for IMS services because they don't provision it to devices over the network. I think they use carrier updates with partners (Carrier bundles on iPhone, and carrier software updates with Android).

I tried this, sort of, in an attempt to get mine provisioned as a 950, which supports AT&T's version of VoLTE. Since the two are closely tied, I figured that would be a start. I went to escalations, no luck, they wouldn't budge, super-irritating.
I'm not sure I can convince them I have an iPhone (I don't), and get them to provision, unless they can see it. I think the only way I could convince them is if they just believe me that it wasn't provisioning.
If someone else posts and says they got AT&T to do this " iOS/iPhone trick", I'll give it a go...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon