Reset Protection... where available?

ronaldme

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Is it available only on some regions? can I install a rom with that feature?

My phone is a Lumia 950 XL with the latest firmware.

Last edited:

ronaldme

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I found the "Reset Protection" option under "Update and Security", "Find my Phone",scroll to bottom of the page.
Good luck

There are two options, save my location and save my location often (I'm not sure the exact words on english). Nothing about reset protection.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Reset Protection is also tied to Encryption... Settings > System > Device Encryption.

It may not be in your Firmware if your country is not requiring anti-theft measures... My guess.

But also, I seem to remember that I was required to Encrypt my 640 before I could use it... Vague memory.

daimv

May 21, 2015
Visit site
I think it is a feature available in USA firmwares, and not anywhere else in the world. So if you have a phone from somewhere else, no luck.
I guess you could install a firmware from USA to get it.
Maybe some day the rest of the world will be able to use the feature... :/ I don't get Microsoft's thinking in this.

I hadn't read anything about it being tied to encryption though :0

Update:
I have non-USA firmware. I tested the encryption thing, turned it on, rebooted the phone, got a "You need to restart to apply new settings" or something like that message, so restarted again, then went to Find My Phone and still no reset protection. So yep, you need a firmware that has it.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I tested the encryption thing, turned it on, rebooted the phone, got a "You need to restart to apply new settings" or something like that message, so restarted again, then went to Find My Phone and still no reset protection.

Like I said... Vague memory. I did several things at once setting up so I guess my recollection is faulty. Thanks for testing it out though.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Oops, posted to the wrong thread yesterday, I had done a bit of searching and found some more info, here's my reply that I cross-posted (since corrected):
/********************* original post ****************************/
Interesting discussion.
I found an older thread, and it sounded like it was only in the US version because of a statute or similar.

I guess this is one reason to not have bought one of the International dual-SIM models, from various vendors that were selling it here (at only a slight discount over the MSStore version).

I agree, it seems like a feature that should just be common. I'd bet there are legal issues though, possibly similar to the ones that ensure it's in the US firmware versions. Some countries may have very stringent requirements.
Does anyone know if other platforms have it, outside of the US?
Found this as well, which implies that at least Ca. requires it, and possibly other states: Understanding and Bypassing Reset Protection ? Advanced Password Cracking ? Insight

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Nice find.
I still wonder why they wouldn't have done it for non-US models though, that part's still a little elusive.
I get why they did it for the US, they pretty much had to, but the implementation doesn't seem onerous enough to leave it off the others, for technical reasons...

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
No idea why they didn't implement globally. But it seems anyone selling an imported Lumia in certain US states is probably doing so in violation of that state's laws.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
No idea why they didn't implement globally. But it seems anyone selling an imported Lumia in certain US states is probably doing so in violation of that state's laws.

Yep, my thinking exactly. I wonder if B&H and some of those sellers are privy to that knowledge? I bet there's a label somewhere, saying it's not okay to sell in the US, and so on...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
otispit