Interested in getting a L950 XL, but needs some input.

TeknoBlast

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
I've been out of the Windows Phone world a little over a year now. However, I want to get the Lumia 950 XL to get back in and just play around with since I've always enjoyed the Windows Phone OS.

There's someone local to my area that's selling one with an asking price of $280. Based on the pictures, looks pretty decent and very well taken care of. Obviously I'm going to counter the asking price, but wanted to know if the 950 XL is worth getting now.

I keep reading that it feels very plasticity, but performs very well. The feel is not a big deal, but do want it to perform nicely.

What's you guys input on the phone based on performance and how it holds right now since it's been out for a good while.

Thanks all.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
The 950XL still receives monthly updates and the camera is still great. Windows 10 Mobile has improved a bit since you left. There are no new features coming though. If you can locate a Mozo back, I would say that should improve the feel a lot.

I'm going to tag @raycpl who got one a few months ago, but I'm sure that there are others who got one as well, and are good with it.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
TeknoBlast

if someone offered that price to me I'll grab it without batting an eyelid. I paid in full (equivalent to) USD375 SIM-free 950XL-DS early this year..

My priority on any phone :-

1) A great camera - the 950XL might be old but can match any new phone out there. You can check out the WC thread for pictures/vids taken. I recently posted this https://forums.windowscentral.com/showthread.php?t=395344&p=3689914&viewfull=1#post3689914

If you are, like me, coming from a 1520. You'll be surprised at the amount of details the camera of 950XL can capture. Check this out https://forums.windowscentral.com/showthread.php?t=456709&p=3686105&viewfull=1#post3686105

2) A large, clear screen. For the number of hours we spent on the phone, the screen is very good.

3) Have no problem with the feel of the phone. No creaks. I use my phone totally naked, I dont keep it in any casing at all.

4) I think Continuum is pretty nifty, even with all the bugs, users expectancy and unfulfilled potential it can/could be.
At home, I use it on my TV.
At work, I use "project to" laptop & a secondary monitor. With a cheap USB-OTG adaptor & USB-A hub, I get to use it with old wired mouse/keyboard that's laying in the office .
I have a Nokia DT900 wireless charger I got years ago for my 920 - still works on the 950XL.

5) MSFT have not stop with the updates.

The negatives -
-The battery will heat up. Drain quick when on Edge, continuum. Hopefully this gets fixed soon.
-Apps situation. I'm not app centric, just the basic stuff people use (WhatsApp, FB, Skype!!! etc)

Hope you do get the 950XL, however which the direction Win10M is heading.

Cosmin Petrenciuc

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I own a Lumia 950 XL for one year and a half. I bought a Mozo wood back cover when Mozo was building such covers and it looks and feels great.
The microprocessor is quite power hungry. Edge will kind of drain your battery.
The camera is still great although is an old model. The display is gorgeous.
On the not so good side you should know it will not get any new features with Fall Creators Update, just some new fixes. And I'm afraid Microsoft won't support this OS much longer.

TeknoBlast

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
I went ahead and got it. I countered with $230 and accepted the offer. It has a minor scratch on the screen but not noticeable when the screen is on, just when it's off.

Took some test pictures and yes, I agree, it does take some great pics. Havent taken any videos yet.

Man, do I miss those live tiles.

I did notice the battery heating up when using Edge. Like you guys said, hopefully they'll patch that up.

This morning I used the iHeart app and it drained about 25% of the battery. Not sure if it's the normal drain or because it's been in use for so long. I'm always close to an outlet, so I'm good.

The feel, yeah, it doesnt feel like a premium device like others have said.

The app situation is the same as I left it, sparse....depends on what one is expecting. At least there's a Starbucks app now. Wish TextPlus was functioning though.

I'm okay with the battery drain and feel since this is not my daily device. Just something a Windows Phone I've been wanting to play around with since I have a data-only SIM card.

@raycpl I did come from a 1520 and I really loved the big screen and camera on that phone. That was the best WP I owned. However, I am an apps guy, so it got to a point where I needed a phone with apps, which then I went with the Note 5. I gave my wife the 1520 and for a long while she used that until issues started. I then sold off the 1520. Now my wife has my Note 5 and I now use the Huawei Mate 9, which is a fantastic phone.

Now I need to score a black back cover. I never been a fan of white colored devices.

There's a local seller that's offering the dock and hoping to snag that as well.

Last edited:

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
The 950XL still receives monthly updates and the camera is still great. Windows 10 Mobile has improved a bit since you left. There are no new features coming though. If you can locate a Mozo back, I would say that should improve the feel a lot.
I'm going to tag @raycpl who got one a few months ago, but I'm sure that there are others who got one as well, and are good with it
Oh but there are though! In an insider build released this week Microsoft introduced one new feature (yes, I can't believe it either). :evil:

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
I own a Lumia 950 XL for one year and a half. I bought a Mozo wood back cover when Mozo was building such covers and it looks and feels great.
The microprocessor is quite power hungry. Edge will kind of drain your battery.
The camera is still great although is an old model. The display is gorgeous.
On the not so good side you should know it will not get any new features with Fall Creators Update, just some new fixes. And I'm afraid Microsoft won't support this OS much longer.

My take is MSFT will support the OS, the question is will there be new phones that uses the OS.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
It has a minor scratch on the screen but not noticeable when the screen is on, just when it's off.

You could try the toothpaste trick, never tried myself but read on forums with ppl claiming it works, may be you can consider, at you own risk of course.

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
My take is MSFT will support the OS, the question is will there be new phones that uses the OS.

AFAK, the existing devices will be phased out. Reading between the lines of MS tweets, I'm thinking that the newer development branch will only support the next-gen devices. Kind of like how I can't load NT 3.51 on my Surface Pro. (Yes, I did try.)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
duncekatie39