The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
    with the slew of cameras 2018 and 2017, how does the 950xl stand?
    Which current phone camera would you say it is equivalent to?

I always felt the 950xl camera was ahead of the curve, and justified me keeping my 950xl. WHich generation of flagships started to overcome its camera prowess?
    03-13-2018 08:02 AM
    The Pixel 2 series has.
    ven07 likes this.
    03-13-2018 10:01 AM
    How about the samsung s8 generation of phones?
    03-13-2018 04:36 PM
    Was just reading the 950/XL-S9 camera head-to-head, and its a tie. (Ok, its a WP site.... but he does a decent comparison). Bottom line is whatever 2018 flagship is out there, camera-wise there has only been small incremental advances since the 950/XL came out YEARS ago... we're at a plateau

http://allaboutwindowsphone.com/feat...Lumia_950_.php

... !
    fin11 and libra89 like this.
    03-13-2018 11:40 PM
    All innovation in the mobile space stopped when Microsoft nuked Lumia.
    03-14-2018 12:04 AM
    Was just reading the 950/XL-S9 camera head-to-head, and its a tie. (Ok, its a WP site.... but he does a decent comparison). Bottom line is whatever 2018 flagship is out there, camera-wise there has only been small incremental advances since the 950/XL came out YEARS ago... we're at a plateau

Camera head to head: Lumia 950 XL vs Samsung Galaxy S9

... !
    i would take those reviews with a grain of salt, the s9+ takes better pictures than the pixel2 in most cases and the iphone x in most cases. Right now the s9+ has the best camera. I really dont think too much about the camera in my 950 anymore
    03-14-2018 07:15 PM

... !
    You need to take into consideration where this is coming from. Steve Litchfield's results always have the Lumia phones barely edging out whatever they're up against.

Although I haven't used a 950/XL as a primary device, I have used plenty of Lumias. The higher end ones will hold their own against almost any phone in ideal conditions.

However, in real life, that is seldom how it is when we're taking pictures. People and objects are moving, lighting isn't perfect, and we don't have time to wait for camera startup. Errors during rapidly repeating shots and post processing are not acceptable. Times like these are where Lumias tend to let people down, in my experience anyway.
    libra89 and theefman like this.
    03-14-2018 07:56 PM
    You need to take into consideration where this is coming from. Steve Litchfield's results always have the Lumia phones barely edging out whatever they're up against.

Although I haven't used a 950/XL as a primary device, I have used plenty of Lumias. The higher end ones will hold their own against almost any phone in ideal conditions.

However, in real life, that is seldom how it is when we're taking pictures. People and objects are moving, lighting isn't perfect, and we don't have time to wait for camera startup. Errors during rapidly repeating shots and post processing are not acceptable. Times like these are where Lumias tend to let people down, in my experience anyway.
    I get what you say about the camera... I absolutely avoid using HDR on cos it messes up the phone. I've taken quick shots in succession with no problem in terms of speed. But just switch to HDR, and the phone will slow down. It sucks.
    Focusing in low light is fiddly & slower when compared to what my 920 was able to do.

There one thing about such articles from Steve, or almost all head-to-head, its always done on auto mode. I really want to see head-to-heads without restrictions, i.e. manual vs manual and/or auto, just get the best true to life shot.
    tgp likes this.
    03-14-2018 08:28 PM

... !
    Believe it or not...That is impressive

Edit:
    Give or take a few points the 950 XL still holds its ground with flagships nowadays. That is why it is impressive That is the important thing to take on this. I would say there are a couple phones caparable to the 950 XL. OnePlus 5T does a really good job imo, and the V30 is an excellent camera phone for pros who need the Pro settings. Pixel 2 or Pixel 2 XL are great too. The 950 XL was never ranked by DxOMark for whatever reason, but that is ok as some see that is overrated anyway. And honestly like mentioned above it all depends on real world application. So we can't expect the results to apply for everyone. For me the 950 XL always did the job no matter what. Most of the time it blew me away how easily it got good shots. In low light it always did well, and in lighted areas it excels exponentially. Anyway, I recently came to be an owner of the S9+ and even though I did not buy it for the camera alone, it will definately be interesting from my view point to see how I like it compared to the 950 XL. So far using the front facing camera a bit, I like it. The UI of the camera app for me was not as easy to use or simple comared to the Lumia, but in these times makers are needing to run with the crowd so we see many features and extra stuff baked into that app. I am curious to see what Nokia/HMD does in the long term with Camera hardware because it would seem like they have the right man power and technology at their disposal to make it great...
    Last edited by nate0; 03-15-2018 at 12:50 AM.
    raycpl and fin11 like this.
    03-15-2018 12:29 AM
    Curious about Nokia too waiting to see on camera reviews.

Is there a camera out there in the $500 range that does better than the 950/950xl?

Coz they are about$500 now. I have been looking at the LG G6, EssentialPhome, OnePlusT amd the s8. I wonder how their pictures compare to the lumias, since they are around the same price range.
    03-18-2018 07:26 AM
    Curious about Nokia too waiting to see on camera reviews.

Is there a camera out there in the $500 range that does better than the 950/950xl?

Coz they are about$500 now. I have been looking at the LG G6, EssentialPhome, OnePlusT amd the s8. I wonder how their pictures compare to the lumias, since they are around the same price range.
    As someone who owns the Essential phone and a 950XL, the 950XL kills it hands down.
    03-18-2018 09:33 AM
    I've now decided to hang on to my 950 ( even ordered a new battery for it ) until Sony Xperia release there new dual camera technology, apparently the low level light performance will be a game changer for mobile phone cameras.
    03-18-2018 09:56 AM

http://allaboutwindowsphone.com/feat...Lumia_950_.php

... !
    Without even clicking the link I'll assume it's the ever biased Steve Litchfield doing the review?
    theefman, nate0 and libra89 like this.
    03-18-2018 09:57 AM
    s9+ and 950xl shots from my back yard for you all to compare. I shot them in auto mode since I have no idea what I am doing with cameras of this caliber :). I can see where the 950 xl has a more natural shot. The s9+ does well at using the light and tries to use it to make the picture more punchy and loses some of the natural look. The 950 xl loses some detail though when zooming...but the hw is 3 years old an imo these are pretty good when put up against a brand new flagship...

Edit: added pixel 2 XL takes.
    S9+

950xl

S9+

950xl

S9+

950xl

Pixel 2 XL
    Last edited by nate0; 03-23-2018 at 04:25 PM.
    03-18-2018 10:07 PM