What is Microsoft's true intention with the 950?

doghouseriley

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
It is not meant for the US market and will be a phone for the rest of the world, mostly Europe and India. That's why no US release date announcement and AT&T now backing off.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

doghouseriley

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
Really, then why no release date announcement? Att has never had a coming soon label on a phone for more than two weeks before announcing the official release date. Never. Face it, this phone is international only. Too bad.

Skyway

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
Really, then why no release date announcement? Att has never had a coming soon label on a phone for more than two weeks before announcing the official release date. Never. Face it, this phone is international only. Too bad.

I don't think so at all. If they were backing off, then they would remove the phone from their lineup. Which hasn't happened yet, so anything more is pure speculation. If we would just give it a couple of weeks, I bet we will have our shiny new devices in our greedy little paws.

Skyway

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
First of all, the Mclaren was never listed on any carrier site with a 'coming soon' banner. Second of all, WE HAVE A RUMOURED RELEASE DATE! The 20th of November. Until that day has passed, everything anyone says is pure speculation. I honestly have no reason to believe these phones won't be released. The leaks of these devices has been pretty much spot on, no surprises there, and now we have a somewhat 'confirmed' release date.

I don't understand how anyone can think they won't release these phones.

Last edited by a moderator:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
First of all, the Mclaren was never listed on any carrier site with a 'coming soon' banner. Second of all, WE HAVE A RUMOURED RELEASE DATE! The 20th of November. Until that day has passed, everything anyone says is pure speculation. I honestly have no reason to believe these phones won't be released. The leaks of these devices has been pretty much spot on, no surprises there, and now we have a somewhat 'confirmed' release date.

I don't understand how anyone can think they won't release these phones.
Well said.

We'll see how this thread and forum will be when it is released soonish. Also, why would Microsoft take the time to announce a phone (as in an official announcement) and then cancel? How does that make sense at all?

DjeTe

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
These phones are not the reference phones they talked about. 950 have been in the making and planned, I think, long before this new phone business strategy came in place. The reason they are late is because W10M wasn't ready. Simple as that. There are several rumours about new "surface" phone coming and these phones will have new designs and they can be released much quicker now that W10m soon is out. 950 is out to have flagship out ready for w10m. It's just the start. Well this is all my take anyway.

doghouseriley

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
How would we know what kind of phones these are, or their place in the larger ms universe with this level of communication with customers.

Skyway

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
How would we know what kind of phones these are, or their place in the larger ms universe with this level of communication with customers.

Now what do you have to say for yourself? Not releasing the phones huh....

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
So much speculation here. These phones are meant to compete with Samsung, HTC and others. Windows 10 brings in a lot of new features and improvements with new hardware that matches their competitors. I don't think microsoft expects to sell 10s of millions but saying these are nothing more than hobbyist items and saying they are not meant to compete is not only false but shortsighted in my opinion.

These aren't the 1020 which was a. Enthusiast item. These are amazing flagships.

No Micah. These phones really aren't and never were meant to compete with the likes of Apple and Android OEMs. They are not intended to convert Android and/or iOS users into WP users at all. In fact, MS' entire WM portfolio is being setup in a way so as to avoid stepping on "competitors" toes, should Samsung, HTC or anyone else ever decide to enter the WM market themselves. You've completely misunderstood the strategy here. It's not about competing. If anything, it's about cooperating. Unfortunately, as of yet, few companies feel that cooperating with MS to supply consumers with WM hardware is a worthwhile endeavor, so MS will go it alone (for now).

If these phones were meant to compete with Samsung and HTC, then it's safe to assume they have already failed (looking at the reviews suggest these devices have zero chance of succeeding in that way). What these devices can do is keep us (the existing WM fan base) happy. That is something they can succeed at, and I think they are doing quite well in that department. That's all MS ever intended these devices to achieve.

Sure, the 950/XL can and will pick up the occasional courageous OS explorer here and there, and even convert a few, but not enough to move the needle. With your unrealistic competitive expectations, which are also just speculation, you're just setting these devices up to fail, even in the eyes of WM users.

Take them for what they are. Don't mistake them for legitimate Android/iOS competitors. That doesn't mean those people who have already decided WP/WM is their favorite platform can't enjoy them.

Last edited:

bayanii

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
Getting mines next week. I cant wait to move back to windows phone. I am really bored of my iPhone. After using the iPhone 6, I realized that I am windows all the way. Even with all the available apps, it still doesn't satisfy my os needs.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon