Does the Nokia 950 or 950XL have a notification LED ?

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
I was a big supporter for led notifications and even posted that earlier on a thread here a month or so ago, I've just gotten so used to it with my old Note 4 and earlier Galaxy phones and thought not having led notification would be a issue BUT after picking up a 640XL 3 weeks ago and using Glance Screen I don't miss the LED at all.. Honestly I'm quite surprised :)

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
It makes sense. People value things differently. If they didn't, all phones (or any product) would be the same with just marketing and price being different. I knew someone back in the day who wouldn't buy a new Volkswagen because they didn't have a flower vase. I doubt Volkswagen adjusted projected earnings when they heard.

I know but not to get the latest flagship because of something so small when glance is going to be the way forward, as they have an LED look to them, all phones will adopt the glance feature.
Volkswagen is a dirty word now due to the emissions scandal lol.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I was a big supporter for led notifications and even posted that earlier on a thread here a month or so ago, I've just gotten so used to it with my old Note 4 and earlier Galaxy phones and thought not having led notification would be a issue BUT after picking up a 640XL 3 weeks ago and using Glance Screen I don't miss the LED at all.. Honestly I'm quite surprised :)

Congrats on your purchase. The 640 XL rocks though! Id never go back to a smaller screen. 😊

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
Congrats on your purchase. The 640 XL rocks though! Id never go back to a smaller screen. ��

Thanks D, I'm truly blown away by its battery life, it's almost twice as good as my old Note 4..
Now I'm a tad worried the 950xl is not going to be nearly as good and may be closer to the battery life of my old Note4 :)

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Thanks D, I'm truly blown away by its battery life, it's almost twice as good as my old Note 4..
Now I'm a tad worried the 950xl is not going to be nearly as good and may be closer to the battery life of my old Note4 :)

Its frightening how good the battery is, two days is insane lol. 3000mAh will get the job done. It reminds me of the Nokia 3310 of old. That thing could go a week.
Btw the battery capacity on the 950 XL is 3340 mAh so its even better then ours! Great things come in XL lol

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site

I wouldn't worry too much, Win Mobile is very easy on resources and battery. If my old clunker of a 1320 can run Win 10 preview and still last a day and a half whilst being hammered as a taxi drivers device, I'm confident the 950 will be OK.

Like you, I was a big note fan. I cooked roms and ported s6 mixed with Note 4 to note 3's quite happily. Shame Samsung spoilt it with that damned Knox fuse.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I've been trying to tease details of the real-world battery life out of my Microsoft contact who's testing both 950 variants (one of them a dual SIM LTE), but he's not letting on - he's having to flash his phones pretty much every day testing the bleeding edge builds which kind of wrecks any battery life testing. Sadly, he's great at teasing me (started back in March) and equally good at respecting his NDA.

HotFix

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Depending on how you configure it, yes. Assuming you keep your phone in an orientation that allows you to see the screen from 10 feet away. Personally, I wouldn't mind a dedicated notification light as described, but I wouldn't pay extra and/or make a purchase decision based on it. But to each their own.

I'm going to get a 950, I'm just going to miss my LED notifications. :)

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Wbutchart1

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
The blu phones have notification led. I have the blu win Jr lte and it has a notification light that currently is only used as red for charging and blue for complete. I'm hoping on windows 10 this will change and it will be used for notifications too.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The blu phones have notification led. I have the blu win Jr lte and it has a notification light that currently is only used as red for charging and blue for complete. I'm hoping on windows 10 this will change and it will be used for notifications too.

I believe in case of BLU it would have to be baked into the OS. They really don't do much, if anything, for firmware.

Slow Loris

Sep 11, 2015
Visit site
Having used phones with an LED, I have embraced the concept... big time.

Green=WhatsApp/Social media
Purple = Important eMail
Cyan = informational eMail
Yellow = less important eMail
Blue = Calendar Notification
White = Txt
Red =Low battery/Missed call

Given the above, you're probably not surprised, that social, txt and email messages have there own audible notification with accompanying spoken identification. i.e. "bing bong, you have email from Slow Loris"

My Lumia 520 seems to die a lot as there is no flashing red low battery LED to prompt recharging.

For me, Microsoft has negated one level of notification and I bet they weren't eating Christmas cake with extra marzipan and icing, which meant going off washing your hands coming back checking the phone... no, no txt, then having more Christmas cake.. while the obnoxious Android guy with his LED notification phone, just sat there stuffing his face with Christmas cake and didn't even have to check his phone and was already on his next piece of Christmas cake when you got back from washing your hands.

I just think if you're not getting txt/social media/emails every hour, all the time, then having to "glance" at a phone to check you don't have a message could become tiresome or just missing that moment cause you popped outside to feed the cat and didn't hear the audible tone.

All that said, we had to link txt message alerts to a standard landline phone(PanasonicKX-TG7873) or my mother would only respond the next day to a txt messages and she has a phone with a "flashing LED" ... old people, what are they like.

So, in summary, I'd like Microsoft Phone people, cause I know they always have clean hands.
Android LED phone people, I wouldn't be so sure about.

Update - Oh and here's an interesting one, we have WhatsApp groups with audible notification off for one year and LED on.
These are throw away conversations, that most of the group at any given time are not interested in and don't want audible notification bothering them. so over an hour, one follows the conversation by watching for an LED notification if participating.
Or if you're on a Windows phone...Glance..glance..glance...glance...clean hands... glance.. glance... read sarky comment about you being on a Windows phone and not glancing for 30 minutes. .. Then making a glib comment about LEDs ... and then leave that WhatsApp group. Problem sorted.
Or maybe enable audible notification on a throw away WhatsApp conversation group... then three hours later realise it will drive you insane and leave the group again... and just roll your eyes when LED notification is mentioned.

Last edited:

jaygss

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Having used phones with an LED, I have embraced the concept... big time.

Green=WhatsApp/Social media
Purple = Important eMail
Cyan = informational eMail
Yellow = less important eMail
Blue = Calendar Notification
White = Txt
Red =Low battery/Missed call

Given the above, you're probably not surprised, that social, txt and email messages have there own audible notification with accompanying spoken identification. i.e. "bing bong, you have email from Slow Loris"

My Lumia 520 seems to die a lot as there is no flashing red low battery LED to prompt recharging.

For me, Microsoft has negated one level of notification and I bet they weren't eating Christmas cake with extra marzipan and icing, which meant going off washing your hands coming back checking the phone... no, no txt, then having more Christmas cake.. while the obnoxious Android guy with his LED notification phone, just sat there stuffing his face with Christmas cake and didn't even have to check his phone and was already on his next piece of Christmas cake when you got back from washing your hands.

I just think if you're not getting txt/social media/emails every hour, all the time, then having to "glance" at a phone to check you don't have a message could become tiresome or just missing that moment cause you popped outside to feed the cat and didn't hear the audible tone.

All that said, we had to link txt message alerts to a standard landline phone(PanasonicKX-TG7873) or my mother would only respond the next day to a txt messages and she has a phone with a "flashing LED" ... old people, what are they like.

So, in summary, I'd like Microsoft Phone people, cause I know they always have clean hands.
Android LED phone people, I wouldn't be so sure about.

Update - Oh and here's an interesting one, we have WhatsApp groups with audible notification off for one year and LED on.
These are throw away conversations, that most of the group at any given time are not interested in and don't want audible notification bothering them. so over an hour, one follows the conversation by watch for an LED notification if participating.
Or if you're on a Windows phone...Glance..glance..glance...glance...clean hands... glance.. glance... read sarky comment about you being on a Windows phone and not glancing for 30 minutes. .. Then comment that LEDs are stupid and no one should be using them ... and then leave that WhatsApp group. Problem sorted. Or maybe enable audible notification on a throw away WhatsApp conversation group... then three hours later realise it will drive you insane and leave the group again... and just hate LEDs notifications for existing.

Cool concept, my last phone with a notification LED just had one that shone red when the battery was empty and was flashing when I missed a call or anything else came up.

But personally, I use a Band 2 as a notification center. It vibrates when something arrives, I turn my wrist and know immediately what it is and if it is important. I know using a smartwatch is not everyones thing, but I have to say, since I have it, I hardly ever look at the glance screen of my Lumia anymore, not to mention that I can keep my phone in my pocket or on my desk without missing anything.

I can also see WhatsApp messages there (for your example with groups)!

Slow Loris

Sep 11, 2015
Visit site
The Band or Smart Watch is a growing area for those that need to keep in touch and surprised no one has mention it earlier.
Coding multi LEDs on a phone can become obsessive and as you mentioned, there may be smarter ways to skin a cat.

Bri D

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
Well, thanks for the info. This makes the choice easier (but slightly more expensive) for me. Blackberry Priv seems to be my next phone. Sorry Microsoft, see you again in 2 years :)

You know the situation is dire when consumers are picking Blackberry over your product. :p

I had a notification led on a Samsung blackjack II...was really useful. The glance screen displaying lock screen notifications does help tho

HotFix

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
You know the situation is dire when consumers are picking Blackberry over your product. :p

I had a notification led on a Samsung blackjack II...was really useful. The glance screen displaying lock screen notifications does help tho

The Priv is a pretty awesome phone, assuming you don't mind Android. If it weren't for Android I would probably have one (and w/o question would if it was BB10 OS).

For me the 950 is the next best thing even without the LED notification capability.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

majortom1981

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
are we sure the 950/xl doesn't have it? Nbody has done a compelte teardown of the phones.The 1 phone that does have it isn't official as having it.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty sure that the 950 XL doesn't have one. Only way it could is if they made the red light for the iris scanner into one, but I'm afraid that would cause more confusion than help.

binnyandrews

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
how I use my notification LED.
Green = personal email.
Blue = work email.
Purple = text.
Red = BBM.
Yellow = voice mail.
Light Blue = Twitter.

My read access memory is too short to remember 6 colors of LED notification in different sequence though i love single LED notification. I tempt to loss the sequence and colors used to set for one.

However, Lumia 950 has an infrared LED that used for Windows Hello. In future updates of Win10M, that LED MAY BE used by MS as a notification for low battery/missed calls.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon