Lumia 950 Bugs + Defects

Ar3s701

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
Bought my Lumia 950 yesterday and did a restore from my 920. It had my saved wifi settings. When I arrived at work I noticed wifi had no internet connection. Checked the settings and saw it had an IP address from my home network. Tried connecting to different access points and turning off and on the wifi, but it wouldn't let me renew the IP address. Doing a restart resolved it though.

mkenyon2

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Voicemail picks up before I have chance eo answer? Can not find a way to delay it,

Are you on AT&T? If so, I had that problem with my 920 and my wife's 830 for a few days. Called AT&T, and they said they would try a few things and call back. They never called back, but the problem went away. So, it may not be the phone, but the carrier.

NosmoRex

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I've got a few issues that are starting to get irritating.
  • Random reboots - averaging once a day. Can't find a common denominator. Does it while charging or not. It's never done it while I was actively using it.
  • Loses cellular connection. I've had two instances where I lose my AT&T network when I walk into my house. I've never had that with any other phone. Reboot gets the connection back.
  • Sketchy Bluetooth connection. I sync with my Microsoft Band and Microsoft Sync in my car. The Band connection is less frequently a problem, but I haven't been able to sync with Sync in several days. Worked fine when I first started using it. I'll try removing the partnership and recreate it. Streaming music over Bluetooth is crap.
  • Battery life is uninspiring. I have to charge it every day, even with light use.
  • I've been unable to connect to a wireless display. I tried connecting to my Xbox One, and was able to connect once, but it hung immediately. Subsequent attempts would cause the wireless adapter on the phone to not see any available access points and would have to reboot to resolve.

IsraelDuran

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
Three issues with me so far I have the unlocked 950

- Battery just playing music over Bluetooth in my car on my daily commute I lose 20% in an hour 15% an hour with light use and 5-10% on standby
- I'm on at&t and get LTE hardly anywhere in comparison to my 920
- And the worst thing has been the CAMERA which everyone seems to rave about but gives me very poor images due to it always touching up my pictures without me prompting it to. I will attach pictures and I did start my own thread about it and no one spoke on it.
wp_ss_20151130_0002.jpg
WP_20151130_09_08_23_Pro.jpg

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
And the worst thing has been the CAMERA which everyone seems to rave about but gives me very poor images due to it always touching up my pictures without me prompting it to. I will attach pictures and I did start my own thread about it and no one spoke on it.

There's a setting in the camera app to disable automatic retouching. I believe it's the option called "Capture Living Images". Once I noticed it happening it was the first thing I disabled. I think what it does is output variations of the same image, and then in the photo app you can switch between the choices to find the version you prefer. In my very brief testing I found that the standard version is the best anyway.

So far I've been extremely happy with the photos taken by this phone.

ipcress687

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
Hi All,

Long, very long time Windows phone use (early XDA onwards and currently running a 610, 635, 640, 930 and my new 950) technically a fan boy (i wont touch anything with an apple logo) had my 950 dual sim a couple of days now after getting it shipped into the UK from Germany (no DS in the UK). Still at the playing with it stage and i see lots of plus points like the general build quality and the hardware, but i have to say that 10 is a major let down, i see this as an early release, far too many bugs to be released to the fan boy community, let alone those we are trying to win from other formats. In three months time, maybe, but now, cant help feeling we are shooting ourselves in the foot.

One example, and such a basic one its sad, the alarm clock. Easy to set, easy to use, whats that? you want to play anything except a default
ringtone? no problem, let me show you any of your music or sound files that will work, thats it sir, select what you please................you actually want it to work? what are you demented? i have tried multiple different alarm clocks and none of them will play any music file more than once before they all revert to whatever their particular default is, its driving me to despair and my wife to murder me first thing.........so after the default alarm goes off i then start getting all the emails from the night, one at a time, and i get an email notification sound for every single one of them. This morning i had over 40.

Just now, i was on a skype conference call on my phone, all nice and clear. After 3 minutes the glance screen comes up...........and cuts the call.

And all this was on a fresh build, no back ups being restored, factory fresh.

Put bluntly as it stands i am tempted to go back to my 930 until the software is ready and the hardware gets the treatment it deserves.

Cortana, oh how i love her, a dazzling example of what can be done. Except my 950 doesnt allow me to select use my voice only, so she randomly starts up when the tv or radio makes some random noises, great comedy value but not what i expect.

This is not customer friendly. Not in a world populated by idiots who think a mouse should have 1 button or that Google is a verb and not a company.

I think engadget gave it a mid 60's review, at the time i thought this was harsh, 4 days in i have to very sadly agree with it.

rickms80

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Anyone that calls me complains of call quality. They complain that they can hear their own voice and everything going on in the background. It sounds fine to me on my end but audio being sent from my phone is horrible. Toggling the call on and off hold or calling them back usually fixes the issue. Right now i'm stuck toggling everyone that calls me on and off hold.

johnnyrussoa3

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
My phone will reboot every min when connected to the supplied USB type C charger. No issues when using wireless charging plate though. Does anyone else have this issue? The reboots basically render the phone useless.
Edit: I actually have a 950 XL. Posted to wrong thread

Last edited:

Bri D

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
has anyone figured out what the issue with the wifi is? Mine keeps losing it intermittently and then when i toggle wifi off and back on agaion it says no networks found???

Yesss, ive been waiting for someone else to have this problem. This has happened to me from day 1 (11/18) on 5ghz ssids. A reset will bring back wifi, but I ultimately had to stop using 5ghz networks. Are you using an ATT Lumia 950 like I am? What type of router do you use?

I'm probably going to get an iPhone after having a windows phone since Nov 2011. Microsoft...you have failed me!!!

Bri D

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
Mine has been doing this, and WiFi is painfully slow. The only other Lumia that used to do this to me with WiFi and Bluetooth is my 830 (all 4 of them). Not sure why it does it, or how to fix it.

Do you have an unlocked 950 or ATT? What router are you using? I have this problem with an att 950 and Asus AC router. THANKS

Samuel Soares

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
I'm quite irritate with some things about this new phone.

The battery life dont last more than 16 17 hours, whitout an extensive usage. For exemple i finished to charge today at 7am. And right now at 1pm it is already at less than 50%. That's not normal. One of the things that can cause this is that the lock screen is always showing the time and date, etc...always. I tried to find some parameters to change that whitout any success. Maybe someboday can probably help me with that?
Sometimes he reboots whitout any reason. It happen 3 or 4 times in less than a week.
The alarm doesnt ring if it is in silence mode. First time that ive seen that. I arrived 1 hour late the first day that i Had the phone because of that.
When I have the phone charging and I want to shut him down he doesnt shut down but reboot, so he can't charge and be shut off.
Then several apps have bugs because the S.O. is not completly operative.

If you want to sell a phone at this price it must be much better than that,

Even my lumia 635 had less problems and cost me 80 euros.

Hope some things will change...

mkenyon2

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Do you have an unlocked 950 or ATT? What router are you using? I have this problem with an att 950 and Asus AC router. THANKS

I have an AT&T 950, so single SIM. I'm using a Netgear AC1600 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3321351). Last night when I got home (I just got mine while at work) it jumped right on the 5Ghz WiFi signal and started doing updates. It ran through most of the updates before I had to leave. This AM I noticed the phone was on the non-5Ghz signal, and still doing fine. Finished up the Offline Maps download, which was about 4Gb.

So far I haven't had to do anything to get WiFi, it just works, but I'll keep an eye on it.

IsraelDuran

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
There's a setting in the camera app to disable automatic retouching. I believe it's the option called "Capture Living Images". Once I noticed it happening it was the first thing I disabled. I think what it does is output variations of the same image, and then in the photo app you can switch between the choices to find the version you prefer. In my very brief testing I found that the standard version is the best anyway.

So far I've been extremely happy with the photos taken by this phone.

I disabled that immediately it made no change aside from it not taking living images. That only controls whether or not you'll also get that short video like thing in your preview.

Jens Ansorg

Nov 26, 2015
Visit site
New to Lumia and WP in general. I seem to have a pretty bad issue with wi-fi at work :-(

The wifi is pretty crowded and sometimes the phone cannot connect immediately. Now, with the Lumia it happened twice today that the wifi gets in a state where it constantly through a couple of different states like "not available" > "available" > "connecting" > "not available" etc. without ever getting a connection. In this state, the wifi page in the settings cannot even be opened! And its running at 100% CPU apparently when in this state: the device warms up quite a bit and the battery goes down. Big surprise when I grabbed the phone after it was in this state for over an hour!

I had connection issues with a Nexus before in that spot but not to the point that the hardware goes crazy like this. If that continues: dealbreaker :-(

RealFrood

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
So far, the most obvious thing for me is the terrible quality of the rear case. My Windows logo stickers fell off when I got the case off to put in the nano SIM. I had to superglue the stickers back on. Embarrassing for such an expensive phone.

neothoms

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
Hello All,

Like a lot of person, I have Wifi issues with or without bluetooth enabled. Wifi is dropping very frequently and sometimes the Cellular Data is dropped too.

I also have a lot of issues when the phone is locked and if I want to open mail or text message from the notification or take a photo, the app launch and the waiting dots appears but nothing happens. I have to go back to home and then launch the app.

Somethings really annoying is the groove music.
- I have my music locally and the same files on my OneDrive but 1 / 3 of songs are still played from the cloud. But if I dont have any network, the music just hangs for ever. No parameters can disabled that fonctionnality.
- The album covers are not displayed for 80 % of my mp3

JJanner

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
[update: SOLVED!] Reverting to default text size (in Display and Ease of Access settings) fixed this. So another OS bug . . .
[black screen when navigating to an apps login or feature selection/directory listing screen] I have this also. Keeps me from being able to login using the Windows Central app (when I tap Signin I go to black screen with a "Done!" appearing in the upper left corner. Going back I get a leaving browser popup). This is also a problem with Radio Lounge UK and a few other apps in addition to the ones you've mentioned. Was not a problem with my 1520. As this bug is not being reported widely, it is either a hardware problem (but I cannot imagine how) or I have a setting that is causing this. I'm pretty much stock settings except I've zoomed the system text size a little bit. I'll try playing with that and let you know.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon