12-24-2015 09:39 AM
154 12345 ...
tools
    I've had good battery life from the beginning and it's gotten better as I continue to explore the device, set it up and use it. Coming from a VZW Blackberry Z10, the L950 deficiencies have
    11-23-2015 11:13 AM
    Battery life is improving for me. I forgot to charge it last night, it was roughly 35%, and it had barely budged 8 hours later.

Drain during actual use has improved but still isn't great. Almost any activity causes what I'd consider excessive drain. In fact, gaming almost seems to draw on the battery less than simply tinkering with the OS. But it does vary from app to app. In any case, I'd say it's worse than it was with the 920.
    11-23-2015 11:54 AM
    Well, I'm off to the AT&T store to do an exchange. Here's hoping the new one works better as I really like this phone!
    Fang Yuan1 and libra89 like this.
    11-23-2015 01:33 PM
    Well, I'm off to the AT&T store to do an exchange. Here's hoping the new one works better as I really like this phone!
    Give it a couple of days before being too upset. Breaking in a phone battery has to happen. 3 or 4 days will be better than just a weekend.
    n7slc likes this.
    11-23-2015 01:43 PM
    Just wanted to chime in, also experiencing poor battery life and batter drain on my 950. Coming from a 1520, which thought had great life, I was excited by this device, especially since it has almost the size batter while having a smaller screen. At this time, I'd be at about 80% on my 1520, sitting at 63% now. I hope things improve, otherwise I'd probably switch phones. My wife's iphone has been way better on the batter.
    11-23-2015 02:01 PM
    I just wanted to chime in as well that my battery performance on my 950 is fairly poor. I've had in since Friday morning and it does seem better today, but still not good. Going to give it a couple more days or so before I try and exchange it for another and I'll keep a close eye on this thread.

I will also say that I've never experienced a break in period with a cell phone battery before. Hopefully that is all this is and my battery will get better, but if that is the case it's new to me.
    11-23-2015 04:45 PM
    Just wanted to chime in, also experiencing poor battery life and batter drain on my 950. Coming from a 1520, which thought had great life, I was excited by this device, especially since it has almost the size batter while having a smaller screen. At this time, I'd be at about 80% on my 1520, sitting at 63% now. I hope things improve, otherwise I'd probably switch phones. My wife's iphone has been way better on the batter.
    It's not the physical size of the display that matters, at least not with such a small difference.

The much bigger impact here is resolution and display technology. The 950 has a considerably higher resolution which means the hardware has to work harder to drive it, more so in games. Additionally, while AMOLED can minimize battery consumption with a mostly dark display, most of the time there's a lot of on screen content which can result in considerably higher consumption than a traditional LCD display. That said, I suspect that at least some of the issue is with the OS.

I also don't think these problems are unique to this phone. I've been reading a bunch of reviews of various Android phones, in case I decide to return my 950, and complaints are similar to what I'm seeing here. The relentless boost in hardware specs is resulting in worse battery life compared to the last generation. Nearly all current phones I've read about struggle to last a day with relatively heavy use.
    11-23-2015 05:10 PM
    I got my replacement this morning and the battery was quite low so I let it charge all afternoon so it would be ready to play with. Well, after 15-minutes of configuring the start screen and downloading a few apps, the battery is at 96%. The previous phone would have been down more than 20% by now. Already looks positive but I'll reserve judgement until the end of next week. I'll definitely report back...good or bad.

Dan
    11-23-2015 06:55 PM
    I got my replacement this morning and the battery was quite low so I let it charge all afternoon so it would be ready to play with. Well, after 15-minutes of configuring the start screen and downloading a few apps, the battery is at 96%. The previous phone would have been down more than 20% by now. Already looks positive but I'll reserve judgement until the end of next week. I'll definitely report back...good or bad.

Dan
    I'm curious to hear how it goes. That may be my next move as well.
    11-23-2015 07:08 PM
    Here's my update after a full day's worth of use on my replacement device from the store. Needle barely moves when on standby.

Completely 100% satisfied with the device. Take my advice. Go get a new phone. Why waste your time trying to break in the battery?
    11-23-2015 11:20 PM
    The 950 has a considerably higher resolution which means the hardware has to work harder to drive it, more so in games.
    What games do you play that have a native resolution of 1440x2560? There are none. All the games are in 1080 or lower, so no, the hardware doesn't have to work harder to drive the screen while gaming.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    11-24-2015 01:29 AM
    Here's my update after a full day's worth of use on my replacement device from the store. Needle barely moves when on standby.

Completely 100% satisfied with the device. Take my advice. Go get a new phone. Why waste your time trying to break in the battery?
    Why would you replace the whole phone? The battery is removable...

11-24-2015 01:30 AM
    All these problems make me reconsider not buying it. I've never had such problems with any device I've had before, whether it was a WP, android or iphone. MS seems to ignore a good quality control.
    11-24-2015 03:20 AM
    Why would you replace the whole phone? The battery is removable...

If there is a fault with the hardware within the phone (maybe CPU is running higher than normal) then changing the battery, in theory, wouldn't make a difference.
    11-24-2015 05:33 AM
    If there is a fault with the hardware within the phone (maybe CPU is running higher than normal) then changing the battery, in theory, wouldn't make a difference.
    You would know if something is wrong with the hardware, trust me. The cpu can't run 'higher than normal', if it did, it would more than likely stop working altogether. If there is excessive battery drain and the phone is working, then it's software and not hardware.

Also I had pretty poor battery life when I first used my phone, and now after a couple days is settling in perfectly. To test this, I left it off the charger last night. It was at 67% when I went to bed and when I woke up it was at 64%. I left wifi and location on, along with battery saver. The battery drain all the people are talking about is 100% software. You aren't trying to 'break in' the battery, you're trying to 'break in' the software.
    11-24-2015 09:47 AM
    Looking at battery consumption this is the breakdown:
    System - 33.6%
    Display - 56.2% !!!

App consumption:
    Store - 27.0% (That's a concern as I haven't spent a while lot of time on the store)
    Telegram - 17.1% (Over the past 24 hours I haven't spent a lot of time with the app, but I've used it more than the store).
    I can't make it a full day either after buying four days ago. System using 25%, display using 66%. Background apps using 10%. Always warm during use. Brightness adjustment is on.
    11-24-2015 09:49 AM
    I can't make it a full day either after buying four days ago. System using 25%, display using 66%. Background apps using 10%. Always warm during use. Brightness adjustment is on.
    Have you adjusted which apps are allowed to run in the background? This will make a huge difference in battery life.
    libra89 likes this.
    11-24-2015 09:51 AM
    Have you adjusted which apps are allowed to run in the background? This will make a huge difference in battery life.
    New to WP - Can you explain how to do this?
    11-24-2015 01:26 PM
    My battery seems to be good one day, lousy the next. I've noticed now the Messaging app is using about 51% active / 49% background process and is the number one contributor to battery use in "Battery Saver".

I'd really like to know if I should bother swapping the phone with AT&T or if you all think this will be fixed with app/OS updates? I only have a limited window of time to swap so I'm almost thinking it can't hurt to try.

It's strange that all the reviews I've read have stated overall that battery life is good and lasts all day with normal usage. I'm not seeing that. By the time I get home at night I'm at 30% and in most cases haven't even touched the phone more than a few times. That's not right.

It's been almost a week now so the "burn in the battery" isn't making a difference so that's ruled out (in my mind).
    11-24-2015 02:19 PM
    My battery seems to be good one day, lousy the next. I've noticed now the Messaging app is using about 51% active / 49% background process and is the number one contributor to battery use in "Battery Saver".

I'd really like to know if I should bother swapping the phone with AT&T or if you all think this will be fixed with app/OS updates? I only have a limited window of time to swap so I'm almost thinking it can't hurt to try.

It's strange that all the reviews I've read have stated overall that battery life is good and lasts all day with normal usage. I'm not seeing that. By the time I get home at night I'm at 30% and in most cases haven't even touched the phone more than a few times. That's not right.

It's been almost a week now so the "burn in the battery" isn't making a difference so that's ruled out (in my mind).
    I vote that you swap it out. Mine has been much better than the last one so far....
    11-24-2015 03:24 PM
    New to WP - Can you explain how to do this?
    Sure, I'm new as well. Go to settings and search background apps and click on the 'background apps' setting. Select which apps you want running in the background and you're done!
    mstrblueskys likes this.
    11-24-2015 04:26 PM
    Lumia 930 user here.
    With the latest build i had the same results you are having with brand new Lumia 950, phone always "little warm" even in standby, huge battery drain in idle, UBER battery drain during use.

I solved with an ugly workaround, but i now complete every day with at least 30% battery and medium usage.

I just activate battery save on 80% and manually set all the app i needed to use to work in background even in battery save mode.

I'm happy with the actual battery life but i think this is totally unacceptable. We should NEVER do this kind of workaround or feel worried about our phone die before the end of the day. Its a phone! In case of emergency we NEED to have it working, its not a toy nor "fancy gadget", it could (and should) help us in a lot of situations.

well, ok sorry for my little rant but i fought too much for battery life with all my phones (except for lumia 720, that bad boy could complete 2 entire days with medium usage, still miss it) and i'm feeling tired about it
    11-25-2015 03:10 AM
    I made sure i closed all my programs and now my battery is getting better. I think it might be due to apps not throttling down when not in use.
    11-25-2015 07:34 AM

Do you have glance or hello turned on? Have you adjusted which apps can run in the background? What are your email sync settings? Do you leave a bunch of apps open and running?
    11-25-2015 09:34 AM
    I'm happy with the actual battery life but i think this is totally unacceptable. We should NEVER do this kind of workaround or feel worried about our phone die before the end of the day. Its a phone! In case of emergency we NEED to have it working, its not a toy nor "fancy gadget", it could (and should) help us in a lot of situations.

well, ok sorry for my little rant but i fought too much for battery life with all my phones (except for lumia 720, that bad boy could complete 2 entire days with medium usage, still miss it) and i'm feeling tired about it
    I'm amused that you say this. You must not have any friends with iPhones or even some Androids, who are usually running to a charger every day, because their phone is dying.
    11-25-2015 09:59 AM
154 12345 ...