12-24-2015 09:39 AM
154 ... 23456 ...
tools
    Ok..... 36 hours later I'm starting to see some correlation. At home, on WiFi, phone runs cool, has impressive Battery life. Out and about in LTE, it's decent but phone gets warm, however, at work, where I live off of an ATT repeater network on 4G, phone gets very warm, if not borderline hot, and Battery plummets. Bad modem perhaps? Worth going to a store and swapping, or wait it out? This is the att variant for whatever that's worth. I've reinstalled insider, and am on latest build.

And also, I'm sure this is covered in another topic, but, my touch screen responsiveness seems to have some dull spots, particularly if I'm not holding the phone or otherwise touching it. Grounding issue perhaps? Shipping box was awfully beat up. I figure its either a it works or doesn't kind of thing.
    11-25-2015 12:01 PM
    I think I may be onto something...

When I got this phone in the mail AT&T shipped a sim card with it. I tossed it aside and just used the sim out of my 1520. My brothers did the same with their new 950s, but not my wife. She used the sim that came with the phone. Meanwhile, her battery life has been great and me and my brothers has been lousy. Coincidence?

Anyway, this morning I swapped out the SIMs with the one AT&T shipped with the phone and activated it. Since doing that this morning with 92% battery life, I'm now down to only 89% at 2:00PM using the phone as I normally would. Previously I'd be at 50% by this point.

I'm going to give it a few days, but I think I'm onto something...
    11-25-2015 02:11 PM
    At the att store right now, told me they just always include a sim card, asked about a similar possibility, I'll ask again.
    11-25-2015 02:34 PM
    I think I may be onto something...

When I got this phone in the mail AT&T shipped a sim card with it. I tossed it aside and just used the sim out of my 1520. My brothers did the same with their new 950s, but not my wife. She used the sim that came with the phone. Meanwhile, her battery life has been great and me and my brothers has been lousy. Coincidence?

Anyway, this morning I swapped out the SIMs with the one AT&T shipped with the phone and activated it. Since doing that this morning with 92% battery life, I'm now down to only 89% at 2:00PM using the phone as I normally would. Previously I'd be at 50% by this point.

I'm going to give it a few days, but I think I'm onto something...
    Hmm, if that's the case, I wonder how it'll be with my T-Mo sim with an unlocked 950.
    11-25-2015 03:01 PM
    New phone is restoring backup right now, but not running hot. A little warm, but not hot. Old one there were times where I couldn't touch the screen. Swapped phone and sim card. Also got the last white one in store. I asked how they were moving, he said slowly, buy they were moving.

I wonder if the ones shipped from the warehouse were the first batch or something, wonder if there's any correlation to these Battery and heat issues and purchase location.
    11-25-2015 04:00 PM
    Nope.... Still downloading apps and restoring, but starting to become a raging inferno again, on WiFi. Hot!

Although, screen responsive issue ate gone in this one.
    11-25-2015 06:48 PM
    So since I swapped my sim with the ATT provided one, I've only lost 20% battery in 6 1/2 hours. I've been using it off and on throughout that time... So far seems to be making a difference ...
    11-25-2015 07:16 PM
    Only down 10% in 2 hours unplugged. Still running a little warm, light to moderate use. Prior phone/sim lost 10% in minutes, much improved. I think the sim card is likely the key to this.
    11-25-2015 08:22 PM
    Has anyone been seeing excessive battery drain and overheating specifically while using Edge? After having my phone for 4 days, the battery life and heat seem to have stabilized except when I'm using Edge, over WiFi or LTE.

Burning 3% battery in less than 5 minutes doesn't seem right... And it seems to be extremely slow in terms of recognizing touching hyperlinks as well as pages loading. Just far slower and less responsive than when I was on my old G3...
    11-25-2015 10:45 PM
    Has anyone been seeing excessive battery drain and overheating specifically while using Edge? After having my phone for 4 days, the battery life and heat seem to have stabilized except when I'm using Edge, over WiFi or LTE.

Burning 3% battery in less than 5 minutes doesn't seem right... And it seems to be extremely slow in terms of recognizing touching hyperlinks as well as pages loading. Just far slower and less responsive than when I was on my old G3...
    Since getting mine exchanged, it has been much better. I do notice that several apps cause excessive heat and battery drain. I suspect they're not optimized for Windows Mobile 10. The Edge browser is a mixed bag for me. It definitely has difficulty responding to touches on hyperlinks and I have noticed some heating and battery drain when using it. Page loading for me is surprisingly quick. I think MS will get these issues corrected in future updates and I'm willing to wait it out. Heck, I waited 3-years for a decent flagship...
    Last edited by n7slc; 11-26-2015 at 12:36 AM.
    11-25-2015 10:52 PM
    Can confirm edge cause heat buildup, and it doesn't stop until I go in and close all tabs. My 830 with WM10 did not suffer this. Probably needs to be resolved. ;)
    11-26-2015 05:51 PM
    This problem can't be that unique...
    Anyway, think I found a solution to edge heating up the phone, may be too early to tell. But turn off page prefetch, thus far seems to have made it run cooler. I'm thinking prefetch is getting carried away in background.
    11-27-2015 01:11 PM
    This problem can't be that unique...
    Anyway, think I found a solution to edge heating up the phone, may be too early to tell. But turn off page prefetch, thus far seems to have made it run cooler. I'm thinking prefetch is getting carried away in background.
    Where is that setting located?
    11-27-2015 01:26 PM
    Open edge, 3 Dot menu, settings, go to advanced settings, scroll down, it's a toggle there.

It's the page prediction setting.
    n7slc and aximtreo like this.
    11-27-2015 01:34 PM
    Since killing page prediction, I've got 83% left after four hours unplugged. That's the best life I've had yet!
    Skyway and n7slc like this.
    11-27-2015 08:33 PM
    I used the Windows hello iris feature and I have seen the battery drain going up faster.
    I must say I was following my wife shopping and I checked my phone while waiting pretty consistently every 15 minutes or so.
    Went from 85% to 35% in 5 hours.
    without excessive use the battery is really good, lost 15% only, unplugged overnight 12 hours.
    11-28-2015 01:54 AM
    After a week I've disabled most background activities, turned off Hello, turned off Glance, page prediction and anything else. I now feel like I'm sacrificing, yet still it burns through the battery. From 100% to 78% in an hour of pretty much just reading news and email, always slightly warm. My wife smirks nearby with her iPhone, which barely drops 5% while she does the same stuff. This is not ok. I'm going to exchange the phone in hopes that this was a defective unit. If not then I'll go to any of my older phones, all with better batteries.
    11-28-2015 11:46 AM
    It's been a week for me and I think my battery finally started settling in. I took my phone off the charger at 8 am and went about my day, I used my phone regularly for emails played a few games. I got home and responded to a few emails and I went to bed at 12 am, I was at 40% didn't plug in my phone and this morning at 7 am was at 38%. I changed emails to push every hour instead of letting the phone determine, that helped alot. I don't have battery saver mode on, I think that might give me more juice might have to try it.
    11-28-2015 12:12 PM
    Okay, I thought I'd better report back since I did say that I would.

It's been almost a week since I got my replacement. Although it has been better than the first one(that thing was in constant meltdown) it hasn't been great. Admittedly I'm discouraged about it but I love the phone and I'm hopeful that Microsoft will correct it through timely updates. Since my 1020 died, I do have a new 640 that i can fall back to if I need to.

I've been beating up Gabe Aul and Microsoft to hurry up and fix it.
    11-28-2015 01:22 PM
    I'm coming up on 7 1/2 hours off the charger, with I'd say moderate usage, and I'm currently at 50% battery remaining.

What I call moderate usage is this: I've been texting numerous people off and on all morning. I've received and read several emails, even clicked a few links that took me to Edge and browsed some. Browsed a bit using baconit, and even the store (and installed 2 apps). I've had two brief phone calls this morning as well. All this while connected to the wifi network at work.

I've got glance and hello on. Battery saver set to kick on at 20% (like 8.1). I've got several apps disabled for background tasks. While I'd love to have more power available right now, honestly I'm thinking I'm not doing too bad. I keep thinking this is about exactly what I would get out of my old phone, a Samsung Ativ S Neo, however that feels a bit like comparing a Pinto to a Ferrari.
    11-28-2015 01:56 PM
    could your txt's still be syncing in the bg?? 26 hours later and i am still syncing txt's!!
    I am having the same problem with txt syncing. For some reason everything before 1/16/14 is there, but nothing after (aside from the messages I have just sent on the new phone). They came back on the initial install (after an hour or so), but I reset it after forgetting to back up my Icon, so I wanted to get the freshest backup from that (apps and whatnot). Since doing that, the txts have NOT all come back this time, I am stuck with no txt after that date :(
    11-28-2015 03:00 PM
    On my 3rd day with my Lumia 950. First day and a half the battery usage was extreme. Had to keep charging it and found out the reason was updates and syncing of data and apps. Now on the 3rd day and took phone off of wireless charger at about 8 am this morning and now at 9 pm I am at 46% battery level and phone is running cool.
    Things have really leveled out and phone is running smooth.
    11-28-2015 10:07 PM
    I now feel like I'm sacrificing, yet still it burns through the battery. From 100% to 78% in an hour of pretty much just reading news and email, always slightly warm.
    Following up... I replaced the unit yesterday and immediately noticed a difference. The first day battery consumption was dramatically reduced, and I'm still above 90% after the morning news hour, even on my first morning with the phone. I haven't disabled anything. My previous phone was defective.
    11-29-2015 11:06 AM
    Following up... I replaced the unit yesterday and immediately noticed a difference. The first day battery consumption was dramatically reduced, and I'm still above 90% after the morning news hour, even on my first morning with the phone. I haven't disabled anything. My previous phone was defective.
    Well shoot, now it has me thinking I might want to consider taking mine in. However it seems to have gotten better the last few days. I've had it a week and two days now, and this morning I'm at 81% after nearly 6 1/2 hours off the charger. The only thing I've done is some light texting and emailing, 3 brief phone calls and snapped two pictures. So not a whole lot of usage, but all in all not bad as far as drain goes either.
    11-29-2015 12:51 PM
    I think you are ok. That's still much better than what I was getting before.
    Aaron Graves likes this.
    11-29-2015 01:04 PM
154 ... 23456 ...