Is the video really this bad? Can you post examples?

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
So I've been looking forward to getting a new great camera but the samples I've seen of 950 video are pretty atrocious in my view. Can some people with the 950 upload some video to show the camera when walking etc. Does the focus step like this? I guess it seeks less but it's like there's only 6 focus levels and the camera is jumping between them. Does the digital image stabilization help? Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfaQAuDwAIY

RuleOfSines

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Its not continuous auto-focus, or at least mine doesn't and I don't see an option for it. As the scene changes you have to tap the screen to refocus.

Skyway

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
So I've been looking forward to getting a new great camera but the samples I've seen of 950 video are pretty atrocious in my view. Can some people with the 950 upload some video to show the camera when walking etc. Does the focus step like this? I guess it seeks less but it's like there's only 6 focus levels and the camera is jumping between them. Does the digital image stabilization help? Thanks!

I didn't watch the video you linked, but I can tell you video is very good. The camera does feature continuous focusing, but I haven't had any issues with my videos. They all look perfectly fine to me. YMMV.

RuleOfSines

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I didn't watch the video you linked, but I can tell you video is very good. The camera does feature continuous focusing, but I haven't had any issues with my videos. They all look perfectly fine to me. YMMV.

Did you have to change anything with the settings? Mine doesn't ever focus unless I tap the screen.

Skyway

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
Its not continuous auto-focus, or at least mine doesn't and I don't see an option for it. As the scene changes you have to tap the screen to refocus.

Continues auto focus is indeed a feature on our cameras. I haven't had any issues though, I'm guessing you haven't either.

Op, the camera is fantastic. My girlfriend and I compare videos and pictures all the time and she has an LG V10, which has one of the best android cameras available. My 950 beats her every time.

mrshamoozoo

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Im glad you posted this. My 950 has been trippin when it comes to video recording. Lots of skipping and freezing when recording higher than 720p at 60fps. At 30fps, it seems to work okay. Im going to a concert tomorrow and will play around with it. But my 830 might still be my primary recording device until i can get this perfected. I need to upload a couple samples i recorded.

Edit: And now that im playing with it more, its not having any issues. Figures. But to answer OPs question, digital stabilization should help lots.

st1cky

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
Been having so many other issues with phone I honestly have forgotten about testing the video. Guess I'll play around with it and post back here.

mrshamoozoo

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Yes the phone is def a buggy mess. I could go into detail but it would take too long haha still love it though because i know microsoft will fix it.

mcheiron

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Okay, don't misunderstand me, this is whining on a high level.

In most video settings, everything is fine. But when recording with 4k resolution, the video starts rather late and then skips and freezes in between while the audio is still recording. These hick-ups can be up to 5 seconds long. It doesn't matter if the video is saved to the device or microsd.

Any solution to fix this?

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Okay, don't misunderstand me, this is whining on a high level.

In most video settings, everything is fine. But when recording with 4k resolution, the video starts rather late and then skips and freezes in between while the audio is still recording. These hick-ups can be up to 5 seconds long. It doesn't matter if the video is saved to the device or microsd.

Any solution to fix this?

i only tried 4k 1 time, so the microsd, and it was fine for me. even casted it to my tv and it was 4.45 minutes of smooth playback. but 4k is VERY intensive. maybe a game or something was open in the background?

mcheiron

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
i only tried 4k 1 time, so the microsd, and it was fine for me. even casted it to my tv and it was 4.45 minutes of smooth playback. but 4k is VERY intensive. maybe a game or something was open in the background?

Good point. Couldn't have been a game but maybe Edge or some other app. I will have to check that.

Edit: that might have been it. Tried it again with all apps closed and besides a short hick-up right at the beginning it was smooth.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
well, i figure you'd want to keep read/write operations to a minimum to record 4K, as less than 5 minutes is around 1.3GB of video

mcheiron

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
I took some mire videos and again, the videos as stuttering during playback. No difference if fresh boot, resolution, frame rate, storage location. After a couple of seconds the video stops while audio is still there. The video starts playing again after 5ish seconds.

This ia rather annoying since I hoped the newer builds might fix this.

Con Georgiadis

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfaQAuDwAIY

check thiw out...taken by me Lumia 950 4k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpm8BNCgk6k

JohnnyBawesome

Dec 8, 2015
Visit site
I am having this problem too. Is it based on the recording resolution? I am doing 1080 60 fps. When I play the video (whether on my phone or on my computer) the video will stop after a few seconds, but the audio continues.

mcheiron

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
I am having this problem too. Is it based on the recording resolution? I am doing 1080 60 fps. When I play the video (whether on my phone or on my computer) the video will stop after a few seconds, but the audio continues.

For me, it is independent of the resolution or frame rate (down to 720p/24) or storage location (sd or device). It ia rather frustrating.

JohnBarry2

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
I am very unhappy with photos and even more disappointing with the video. Focus hunting is a huge problem, sometimes it skips frames. Its very inconsistent. I got the 950 the day it launched and got a replacement a week ago because i was so unhappy with it, same terrible experience on both phones, tried all the updates. 920, 925 and 830 were better experiences. This is my last windows phone. Everyone will say wait for the surface phone, i am not ok with waiting for the 3rd iteration of a surface phone, that will take 4 years. Windows has last a loyal customer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes