12-20-2015 11:58 AM
50 12
tools
    I don't know if I'm just seeing things, but I'm starting to notice very faint ghosting of the Start button on my navigation bar. It's usually noticeable only when the navigation bar is hidden and the background is white, the location of the Start button is dimmer than pure white. Anyone else notice this? Is the AMOLED screen already starting to burn in? (I don't even use my phone that much and my brightness is pretty low)
    12-16-2015 10:47 PM
    Crap, yes, I do see that on mine when I look for it.
    12-16-2015 11:35 PM
    I don't know if I'm just seeing things, but I'm starting to notice very faint ghosting of the Start button on my navigation bar. It's usually noticeable only when the navigation bar is hidden and the background is white, the location of the Start button is dimmer than pure white. Anyone else notice this? Is the AMOLED screen already starting to burn in? (I don't even use my phone that much and my brightness is pretty low)
    Really? Gee - my first AMOLED phone only started burning in navigation buttons after three years. Can you snap a few photos of your screen for us to see? If the panel really is dying that quick, i'd get that phone replaced asap.
    12-16-2015 11:48 PM
    Another confirmation, sadly. I don't notice the other two icons currently.
    12-17-2015 12:02 AM
    Really? Gee - my first AMOLED phone only started burning in navigation buttons after three years. Can you snap a few photos of your screen for us to see? If the panel really is dying that quick, i'd get that phone replaced asap.
    Mine isn't visible enough to capture with any of the other cameras I have, my 950 is my best one. I can see the windows logo, but only when actually looking for it.
    12-17-2015 12:11 AM
    Yeah, you need to look really hard (and at the right angle) to notice it, it's unlikely that even a decent camera could capture it. But given that the phone is barely a month old, I'm worried about how long the display will last.
    12-17-2015 12:28 AM
    It seems the navigation bar needs to be up for a little while then you can see it.
    12-17-2015 12:33 AM
    I'm not sure if there are diagnostic apps for the 950's - if not try find red, blue and green solid color images and view them full screen. AMOLED screens often wear out blue subpixels first - if this is the case you'll most likely see the ghosting more on the blue slides.
    12-17-2015 12:35 AM
    It seems the navigation bar needs to be up for a little while then you can see it.
    I kind of noticed that too and it's really weird because true burn-in wouldn't go away after a while.

AMOLED screens often wear out blue subpixels first - if this is the case you'll most likely see the ghosting more on the blue slides.
    So what's interesting is that my navigation bar itself is completely blue (my accent colour is blue) yet I don't notice ghosting on the bar, only the Windows icon.
    12-17-2015 01:02 AM
    Keep us up to date guys. This is my first AMOLED phone and so far I have enjoyed it. I'd hate to find out that this is an issue.
    Perhaps we should submit to the Windows Phone team as a suggestion to change the color of the Navigation buttons.
    12-17-2015 01:22 AM
    Keep us up to date guys. This is my first AMOLED phone and so far I have enjoyed it. I'd hate to find out that this is an issue.
    Perhaps we should submit to the Windows Phone team as a suggestion to change the color of the Navigation buttons.
    I think hiding them by flicking up and down (if that is still a thing in WM10) is probably the best bet. If they aren't there all the time and you're constantly moving screen elements up and down, any burning will take twice as long to notice.

Here's my old Lumia 900's screen as a point of reference - that's IE's navigation bar and the page refresh button on the left. Its only really noticeable on white and blue screens - i've taken a photo on white because its a little easier to see contrast. You might need to view the image at full size to notice.

wp_20151217_20_53_51_pro.jpg
    12-17-2015 03:39 AM
    Just got my 950 so will be looking out for this... would be very disapppointed on such an expensive phone.
    12-17-2015 06:53 AM
    The Windows logo is also burnt in on my Lumia 950. With white background you can see its ghost. The cell just has one week... I am quite annoyed with the phone, battery does not last more tan half a day, screen burn in... what else...
    12-17-2015 09:32 AM
    Can't see anything on my 950XL
    12-17-2015 09:43 AM
    I've had my 950 going on a month now. I created solid white, red, green and blue images to test this and saw no signs at all of burn in.

I'd be curious to know how often you guys use the phone throughout the day or the variety of apps you use. Most of my prolonged use is for gaming, where the whole display is changing frequently. Otherwise, I'm using the phone in short bursts throughout the day.

It would also be interesting to know the supplier for the 950/950XL display and if that's a factor in longevity. I assume some companies produce better AMOLED panels than others.
    12-17-2015 11:00 AM
    So I notice this too, ever so slightly, when I display a bright white image.

Is there a setting somewhere to make the buttons less intense? You can make the navbar match the accent color but regardless the buttons are still bright white. I actually would prefer them a dark gray, almost but not quite invisible, on the black background.
    12-17-2015 12:24 PM
    That's not even possible so early on. Go to images find a white image in internet explorer. Go into landscape mode and see if you see it. I honestly don't see how it can be possible with the 950/950xl especially so early on. It has a pentile diamond matrix to help prevent this. And the lifetime of these oleds is long. You would have to be pumping quite a lot voltage to them over time.
    EMitchell likes this.
    12-17-2015 02:55 PM
    I think I can see the effect on my 950, but its more like image retention than burn in. For me its only (just) visible on dark grey backgrounds after hiding the nav bar and only when on high brightness. If I repeatedly bring the action centre down, so the bottom bar moves over the area many times, the image fades and vanishes.
    12-17-2015 03:02 PM
    I think I can see the effect on my 950, but its more like image retention than burn in. For me its only (just) visible on dark grey backgrounds after hiding the nav bar and only when on high brightness. If I repeatedly bring the action centre down, so the bottom bar moves over the area many times, the image fades and vanishes.
    That would mean there's some refresh rate issue. which is odd. It's as if some pixels are staying in a state constantly. Wonder if this could cause some battery drain which people complain about.
    12-17-2015 04:21 PM
    I think I can see the effect on my 950, but its more like image retention than burn in.
    It seems like a little bit of both, it does fade out rapidly after hiding the nav bar, but it doesn't disappear completely and I can still see a very faint ghost image. I hope this is just a display driver issue that can be fixed with a firmware update.
    12-17-2015 05:12 PM
    The issue has nothing to do with the price, no matter how expensive the device is this will happen eventually. It's AMOLED technology and this right here is the reason why I personally like the IPS displays better.
    You can play around with your brightness settings and pick darker color themes to slow down the degradation process but that's about it. It's normal.
    xandros9 likes this.
    12-17-2015 07:01 PM
    So I noticed something else that is interesting and may be related. If I open a calendar event on my 950 (see screenshot), the horizontal lines on the "Invite someone" text box bleed out to the edges of the screen. I don't see this on my 920 or if I view the screenshot on my desktop.

I can see similar bleeding on the Start screen along tile boundaries, the "To" field in Messaging and the chat box in WhatsApp. I'm not sure if these are related to the image retention issue, but all of this leads me to believe that it's some kind of software issue.

wp_ss_20151217_0005.png
    12-17-2015 09:59 PM
    Not sure if this will show up...

wp_20151218_03_29_46_pro_li.jpg

Eh it kinda does. Hard to capture with my 640. I can see all three buttons on a blue background. They do fade a bit, but seem to remain visible. I can mess with it tomorrow to see if they completely fade away eventually.
    12-18-2015 12:48 AM
    Not sure if this will show up...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20151218_03_29_46_Pro_LI.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	402.3 KB 
ID:	119091

Eh it kinda does. Hard to capture with my 640. I can see all three buttons on a blue background. They do fade a bit, but seem to remain visible. I can mess with it tomorrow to see if they completely fade away eventually.
    Can you use Macro option while snapping, it could produce a clear image. I have a Lumia 730 and usually I hide the nav bar whilst not in use. Also switch to a black background for lockscreen to avoid burn-ins, I'm using awesome lockscreen and do note to turn off gradient color option and select solid color background using black.
    12-18-2015 06:16 AM
    I just got my Lumia 950 home, afraid to open it now. Is the burn in so fast?
    12-18-2015 08:55 AM
50 12