Pictures taken with the 950 are disappointing :(

rafal soboczynski

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Picture quality is exactly why I am hesitant to leave my Lumia 1020 for the 950. I have come to depend on the quality of the pictures like the OP. It would be a step down. I guess I have to wait, yet again, for a true 1020 replacement.
You'll wait for a long time then, 1020 successor ain't coming

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
This a picture of one of my cats. Indoors, low light, flash on, rich capture on, Windows Camera. Shutter speed 1/10, f/1,9, ISO 250.

View attachment 119248

This is a crop of her left eye. Mark the little hair in the corner of her eye. This picture is a full crop. So it has not been downsized.

View attachment 119247

Maybe the 1020 is even better but this seems pretty good to me.

View attachment 119282definitely think maybe your phone is defective or you're not focusing correctly or something. The camera on the 950 is awesome. Check this picture of my dog out, zoom in on the nose and look at the detail

Beautiful pets guys. Excellent shots.

Con Georgiadis

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
From my tests the Windows camera is not very good when you shooting distant night landscapes.
However is very capable when shooting at close range

Ygglens

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Doesn't the 1020 have like 40 megapixels are something? How could you possibly expect to get the same crop?

Did you miss this part of my post? The very first sentence... "the promos showed a level of detail and zoom, on the 950, that looked better than the 1020"

When Microsoft promoted the phone, they showed crops that were better than the crops on the 1020... Should I not expect the 950 to be able to perform as it is advertised?

RUCKUS_US

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
Did you miss this part of my post? The very first sentence... "the promos showed a level of detail and zoom, on the 950, that looked better than the 1020"

When Microsoft promoted the phone, they showed crops that were better than the crops on the 1020... Should I not expect the 950 to be able to perform as it is advertised?

how about the picture of my dog? What do you eel about that?

Con Georgiadis

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site

Those photos were taken by professionals with external light sources and reflectors.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Anyway if you compare Lumia 950 XL with any other phone on Gsmarena, it is pretty much better in tests than any other phone. Indeed it may be a whole different story when shooting on the move with different light conditions. Especially the speed a phone takes to make a good photo which is usually a winner in real life. No time for manual controls when the **** is about to go down!

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
This is my 1020 on 8.1 prior to W10M .36 update..

[url]https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3775/12452715394_b1a4f8b260_z.jpg[/url]
WP_20140122_13_49_30_Pro.jpg by Futra Hurairah, on Flickr
(click the photo to get the full size image on Flickr. note that my 1020, in white casing, is reflected on the cat's eyes.. and this is just on 8.1)

I have yet test it on W10M since I can't find any cats steady enough to snap a photo.. lol
And I am a simple man, I see a cat, I press like.

I like your photos thought :)

Ygglens

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
how about the picture of my dog? What do you eel about that?

It has good details, and the camera has done a great job of getting details with the light it had, but its hard to judge, as I don't have a similar picture from another device, to make a comparison.

Those photos were taken by professionals with external light sources and reflectors.

The pictures I am referring to, were taken quickly, during an interview. The guy just snapped a portrait of some fella sitting on the table next to them, then zoomed in to see the small hairs on his skin. I can't get my 950 to do that, even when using my photo lights.

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Everyone is talking about the rear camera, but I've tested the FFC today, for Xmas lunch. Awful. I own a 535, so I know what the 5MP FFC is capable of.

And I've just made a test: took myself with 535 and 950 with windows camera. The result is more natural on the 535! 950 shot is way too softened, when 535 has more details. It looks like a 1MP shot! Even the test I made with my office 5S is better (and the iphone FFC has a lot less MP than on the 950). So it's clearly a problem at algorithm level (or firmware).

With the main camera, the automatic mode is quite inconsistent. As for the FFC, setting the ISO (when indoors) will capture better shots. But then, I bought the 950 because it's snappier than the 1020, and that I should be able to P&S in auto mode.

I hope MS fix this in next builds/app updates. There's a lot of feedback in the feedback app about this.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

Wilvin Crawford

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
I have a Lumia 950 and I think it takes truly great pics. Make sure you have rich capture on and allow the camera to focus on what you're shooting or you can manually focus.

I just had family and friends at the house with Samsung Galaxies and the latest iPhones (a 6 and 6s) who were very impressed with the pictures. They even asked me to take some Christmas pictures for them. Camera is average in low light though although the firmware update (which I still don't have yet) is supposed to fix that.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon