Is the 950/950XL still a good investment given Mr. Nadella's recent statements?

Prince of NC

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
Am I wrong as basis of long term investment (as I, like many of you, keep my devices active for a long time) to buy into the new Lumia series given Mr. Nadella's recent statements describing WM "unsustainable" and his stronger efforts for an agnostic (OS-wise) presence on other mobile platforms? Do you think these devices will enjoy the lifespan that the 1520 enjoyed?

Nubwy

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
Unlike BlackBerry, Microsoft has other platforms on which to carry the Windows 10 banner. It can afford the luxury I think, regardless of what the CEO says, to have it carry the mobile operating system. There will always be a Windows Phone, so yes. Good investment.

X-topher

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
I have the 950, after been on Android since day 1. A windows enthusiast since 3.1, the reason I have moved is the integration between my phone and the rest of my devices which is unique as well as excellent. No more messing about transferring files I take a photo and 2 mins later it's on all my devices the same integration with office. This until win 10 and the reasonable ability of the previous phones never really was that much of a deal. I bought the 950 fully aware that the panos phone is on it's way but it didn't deter me as the 950 will be able enough to last a couple of years I just see it as next years 850. I,m sure the panos phone will bring lots more to the party but the 950 will still be at the party....The undoubted success of win 10 universal platform makes the purchase of a windows phone a no brainer when you look at what the competition are offering...

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I have the 950, after been on Android since day 1. A windows enthusiast since 3.1, the reason I have moved is the integration between my phone and the rest of my devices which is unique as well as excellent. No more messing about transferring files I take a photo and 2 mins later it's on all my devices the same integration with office.

Onedrive/Office can auto sync on iOS and Android as well. I get it you're happy with your new WP and that's awesome, but the ecosystem of Windows is equally available on all mobile platforms aside for Cortana.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think it'll see the longevity.

My concern would be the quality of life. I think the ecosystem peaked in 2013-2014 although the in-house cohesiveness with Windows 10 is a definite plus. The phones are fine, albeit arguably plain looking.

My worry is whether Windows 10 Mobile will meet your needs in the future, hypothetically saying the OS and app ecosystem continues to "progress" as it is now.
Like, WP 8.1 was all I needed once, but not anymore.

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I didn't interpret Nadella's comments as an ultimatum or even indicator that the'd move away from the mobile space if there isn't significant market share increase in the near future.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
His view is that devices are changing, so while specific "phone" market share may be low, phones may not be just phones in the future. They want to do with phones what they did with 2-in-1's. Make them run like computers and phones. It's a new category in itself. The new surface phone is due in september which will have an intel Core M cpu. Now that's just a rumor. But this one would hold you off long enough. I will probably sit through the first revision of the surface phone and wait for the 2nd one. By then I'll sell my lumia 950xl.

As long as there is windows 10 there will be windows 10 mobile, that's pretty much his statement. They won't give up on it but rather change the way people see these devices. I bought mine knowing a new phone is coming because I'm not going to wait a year for surface phone. And given it will be a new tech it won't be so perfect. The phones are all stuff that have been tested and true for a long time. The Qualcomm chips have survived the test of time. We don't know how intel chips will do.

Again, I think you should buy it in an MS store and then return it if you don't like it. But do update it to latest firmware and OS build after getting it.

srcpt

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
I have to point out, that in healthcare android devices are used in the field all the time for electronic records, at least in the US. There are very few proprietary or other software for health professionals to use on mobile windows devices.

Prince of NC

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
I agree Continuum is an excellent, useful feature in my line of work (traveling professional). I know 100% I would use the feature in addition to all the things I like about WM as it is. My concern is them walking away from WM due to market share like they did Zune and Kin.

X-topher

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
As has been mentioned Nadella is not talking about dumping the win mobile he is saying they are creating a new market where win phone dominates... UWP thru 2016 will become important as people start to use their phone within a universal environment and see the benefits at some point people will realise that if every other device in their homes/offices is running win 10 it makes sense that their phones are too...

koffiejunk

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
I would say jump ship.. Ms fails time after time.. And enough is enough.the Ms loyalists will say surface phone bla bla.. Is the world ready for it? How much will they coast for people to buy them..

sevoman

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Onedrive/Office can auto sync on iOS and Android as well. I get it you're happy with your new WP and that's awesome, but the ecosystem of Windows is equally available on all mobile platforms aside for Cortana.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

correct. keeping in line with what the ceo said... MS's future is that of a service, regardless of what device you are using. as google is growing from just services to some devices, MS will shrink from making some devices, to just services (xbox is the only hardware that will survive). i predict the end of the surface lines by the end of 2016.

X-topher

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
How do you consider a company a failure? That has virtually 100% office productivity software market, 80% of the PC platform market. 90% of the PC gaming market and 50% of the console market...

X-topher

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
Correct in the fact that you can use it on a 5" screen or even miracast it to a tv @ 30 fps with a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse which is almost unusable. You cannot use it @60 fps on a 24" 1080 monitor with a Wireless keyboard and mouse a 6 TB powered hard drive and a 3 TB unpowered hard drive all attached...All this and you actually charge the battery at the same time. Microsoft is growing more than any company within the device market...

Last edited:

rafal soboczynski

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
His view is that devices are changing, so while specific "phone" market share may be low, phones may not be just phones in the future. They want to do with phones what they did with 2-in-1's. Make them run like computers and phones. It's a new category in itself. The new surface phone is due in september which will have an intel Core M cpu. Now that's just a rumor. But this one would hold you off long enough. I will probably sit through the first revision of the surface phone and wait for the 2nd one. By then I'll sell my lumia 950xl.

As long as there is windows 10 there will be windows 10 mobile, that's pretty much his statement. They won't give up on it but rather change the way people see these devices. I bought mine knowing a new phone is coming because I'm not going to wait a year for surface phone. And given it will be a new tech it won't be so perfect. The phones are all stuff that have been tested and true for a long time. The Qualcomm chips have survived the test of time. We don't know how intel chips will do.

Again, I think you should buy it in an MS store and then return it if you don't like it. But do update it to latest firmware and OS build after getting it.
If it will be an intell cpu (which I hope it will not)it will most likely be atom x3 or x5 at the push. M series won't give you enought battery life

hprvez

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
A modern consumer electronic device is never an investment. But these phones are still the best experience if you want live tiles, continuum, iris recognition, optimized code, security, and still the second best ux and ui after wp8.1

koffiejunk

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
@x-topher. I was talking about the phone division.. Not pc market share or xbox.. Also your digits are incorrect.. 50% of the console market? Where did you gett that number from?

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
There is one main reason that consumers completely miss that means that Windows 10 mobile will be here and supported for a long time: Business. In business Microsoft give 150%. Business customers are slowly moving to use Microsoft mobile phones, and in business, Microsoft provides long term commitments. This is an important part of the vision and one they are selling hard in the corporate world.

In the consumer space they are committed to Windows 10 and supporting developers in writing Universal Apps which will run on anything. That will benefit the phones too as UWP apps are easily made phone friendly.

As others have mentioned, expect innovative new phone hardware with eye opening capability, possibly two-in-ones that bring attention back to Windows 10 in the mobile space.

Windows phones are definitely not going away and Windows 10 will be supported for a long time. The 950 range has enough hardware to be great for a 2-3 years, which is a lifetime in mobile tech.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo