Is the 950/950XL still a good investment given Mr. Nadella's recent statements?

markeboyle

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
it might not be stunning looking but it is thin and no one looks past the slab of glass on the front which is stunning and at how thin it is.

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
I know someone who handles mobile communications for a major bank. They never used legacy Windows Mobile. They used to be a BlackBerry only enterprise. Now they are Android and iOS only.
Which clearly shows that things change. What is today the leader, is not necessarily tomorrow. No on knows for sure who will be using what in the future. I recall when many people had written Apple off. No one, absolutely no one in those dismal years predicted that Apple would be where they are now. MS has a shot. They're clearly outpacing other tech companies in many areas currently.

tropolite

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Yep, I'm pleased by my purchase (950XL). Even though there have been hiccups with the software, it can only get better. I know, it sounds like a clich? but I happen to believe it - Microsoft is the only company that I would trust to not give up and get Windows 10 in all its iterations to a very good performing ecosystem along with apps that are complementary and enhancing to the devices.

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
No body cares about the present , it is where the company is going . Some one said company has 80% of PC market . 5 years ago it had 98% market share and now 80% . That is bad . At one time Apple was bankrupt , Blackberry was on the top . All these drastic changes are the result of the steps the CEO has taken . Apple was trading at $4.00 when Jobs came in and told the world he was determined to build a phone like no other and he did it because he was focused on that mission . This CEO does Not know what he wants to do . He has made conflicting statements since day one . Even the fans are confused . A leader will come out and telegraph his goal and Plan of Action to keep the base and expand on it . Right now people are looking to leave . Not a good sign . I wished the Mobile OS take over other OS

And, yet, their stock has doubled since he took over. MS is getting some positive press, which hadn't happened for years under Balmer. You get a myopic view of things by reading forums on a tech blog. Most people who use tech devices never visit a forum.

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
Challenge: not to be argumentative, but list 5 of the important apps that did not exist on windows phone that now do because of universal windows apps. I don't care if Mytube or Baconit go universal (taking mobile to computers). I don't care if Facebook has plans for universal app (one already exists). I don't care if Bank of America will be making one (it does not exist now). The universal apps may catch on one day, but I do not think the state of affairs is such that you can say everyday new apps appear. I don't think you can keep waiting for the future surface phone created by Panos anymore than I was excited about the promise of Windows 8 and WP8 as presented by Belfiore.

You say "not to be argumentative" and then proceed to be argumentative. Of course we can say new universal apps appear every day, because they do. Whether they are ones that you want is immaterial. Your needs are not the be all and end all of what is useful in an app.

joeonsunset

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
He didn't even--as far as we know--use the word "unsustainable." It was the article author's word and he was paraphrasing Nadella, in kind of an awkward construction.

grezmel

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Why can't people just enjoy the phone. My 950xl rocks and I am pleased that I don't run android or IOS.
I, like most others knew or know what they are letting themselves in for, yet still make an issue out of it - a bit like buying a car with well known faults and then slating it.

My phone switches on, has good battery life and most importantly it makes calls which is the fundamental point of a phone.

A_For_Architecture

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
All Windows Phone have their own identity. With 950 / 950XL series you are buying the option to be part of the Windows as a Service. But not just that. You are doing it with the lack of lot of possibilities in the mean of hardware. All of it's details are on top of the range. We all know Continuum is on beta stage but its also here just now! And its working flawless! It could be better if it was completely wireless or included into the device itself, or if it could be able to used from far distance, or... what else! BUT, we are currently running the year 2016, not 2020! Its so far the best way to join the Windows 10 community! And this applies not only to professionals but also to common ordinary users!
Think about it! Mr. Nadella is doing right! Microsoft would focus on WM and we are just in the beginning of whats coming SOON...
So, Yes! If you look for the best at the moment, 950 / 950XL is a must!

Last edited:

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
You say "not to be argumentative" and then proceed to be argumentative. Of course we can say new universal apps appear every day, because they do. Whether they are ones that you want is immaterial. Your needs are not the be all and end all of what is useful in an app.

If someone would just answer the question instead of arguing.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Spicymikey

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Agreed - I'm in corporate finance and investment and not one firm (ftse 100) use wp. Android and iphone (with ibm and cisco tieing up) are making massive inroads. Sorry but that's just how it is. MSFT have been trying to get mobile back into business but, bottom line, it's all legacy blackberry, iphone and android. It used to be windows mobile but then 2007 happened and msft arrogantly told business what they should do with their money. Didn't work. They haven't recovered. I can only talk about London and new York, and dusseldorf but there it is.
Yep. It's all about the software and productivity the ecosystem provides you. The hardware is irrelevant because anyone can make a smartphone. What MSFT is trying to do now is smart, but it may be too late. They should have done this 7 years ago. Cracking a market that is dominated by two players with 90+% of a user base is tough and almost impossible. Ask Apple about that with their efforts to take back the desktop world.

veigald

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site
What you have to consider here is that Nadella is not thinking about competing in the smartphone space as such. He wants to ride the next wave.

What's happening in the personal computing space is iterative levels of convergence. A few years back people had both a laptop and a PC. Then they converged into a laptop. Now a lot of people have a laptop and a tablet. Microsoft converged these into the Surface line, which is now being copied by every other hardware vendor. It makes perfect sense to converge the phone and the laptop next, given that phones can rival most people's needs in terms of processing power and memory. This is what MS are targeting and this is what Nadella is talking about.

So yes, the smartphone space is not what Microsoft is really working at competing in, they want to be the first into the "Surface-like" next convergence wave and be dominant there. And they're the only ones currently realistically playing in that field.

To conclude, Microsoft will not give up on Windows Mobile. It's very much key to their future.

gerzhwin

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
As Nadella stated a few times: The phone ist part of the strategy. Win10Phone is and will be supported. The hardware is reasonably priced as well as exercised. Continuum is on board. Creaking back cover can easily be fixed, battery life will get better/fixed by software enhancements, also Windows Hello accuracy. Apps ... aren't everything, but some you're searchinh for might not be found.

mgerbasio

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
The launch was a dud in the USA by MS picking the No.2 carrier and excluding the other 65% of the wireless market; I was disappointed. Yes, you can put a T-Mobile SIM in the phone and it will work, but it is missing critical features on the T-Mobile network. I liked using WP, had the 925 and then 640 on T-Mobile but last month purchased the Nexus 5X. I'm not going to switch to AT&T and not using a crippled phone on T-Mobile. MS does a good job of supporting Office apps on Android and I get back Google Voice and Google Maps which really have no equals on Windows at this point. Going with the Nexus 5X made the most sense for me.

If MS gets serious about launching new hardware, like Apple and Google, making it carrier independent, I'd take another look. If they want to launch a product like it is 2006 rather than 2016, unsustainable is what they get. Good investment? I don't look at a phone as an investment but if I would have bought it. I want a phone that works for me and right now Android is best. When the Surface phone comes out, I'll take a look; hopefully it isn't a tease like the Surface mini.

MikkoPaivarinta

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Not really - Onedrive syncs your photos on iPhone only when you open the app. Windows Phone syncs automatically.
A huge difference that I miss, now that I have an iStone :-(

ScubaDog

Banned
Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
My wife and I both bought a 950. Worst waste of $1200 we ever made. There are so many issues with it AND with Windows 10 that I've gone back to my 1020. It's just better in ever respect that I care about.

Gunbust3r

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
IMHO with the 640 coming in at $40 on sale the 950 at $600+ is a terrible "investment". Microsoft was clueless about pricing these unless the intent was for them to sell minimal units.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bentecdigital