Why *haven't* you bought a Lumia 950?

anon(9759897)

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
a) and b) for me.
950 is a lower spec but costs more than iPhone or Galaxy S6 (not to mention cheaper alternatives like Nexus), it's still buggy and lacks a lot of apps (google apps is a big one for me).

MS is a huge underdog here. They need to have either a superior product or a lower price to have a chance of challenging the current champions. Currently they have neither.

deMaelstrom

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I did get a Lumia 950 because it is a wonderful smartphone and I got it 50 bucks cheaper and because, thanks to the Windows Insiders offer, Microsoft France offered me the HD-500 dock, a Mozo case, a wireless DT-904 charger and a 25-buck gift card. :D

And despite the fact that I'm still waiting for the offered stuff, I do enjoy that phone. Thank you very much. :-D

patcherd

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
The only way I was able to get the 950 for $300 was to trade in my new L925. That was the best thing I could have done. I am really enjoying the 950 and win10 overall. Camera has been great. Not a photographer, but better pictures than the L925 took, by a long shot.

I thankfully didn't have serious issues with the phone others have had. The only minor thing I had happen were several random restarts. It seems like the phone is operating better as time goes on.
This is definitely a daily driver. I would never go back to 8.1 even though my L640 operated very smoothly with it.

I rely a lot on my phones gps and Microsoft maps are great. There is just something about windows experience i didnt get when i tried Android for a little while.
Its comfortable and very suited to the things i use it for.

rromerof

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
My reasons are (a) and (c), and while this happens I've bought a brand new iPhone 6s because I know that here in my country the price of this device will never drop so I can re-sell it with a good price and with the money I get, I could easily buy a Surface phone or a Lumia 1020 like device. The maximum wish of the most of the people here is to have an iPhone. I will take advantage of this thinking.

halflifecrysis

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
With USB-C you just need a USB-C to HDMI cable or a USB-C/HDMI adapter.

There's no "excuses" or conspiracy to get you to buy a 950 XL with Continuum, the 1520 chipset simply doesn't allow dual screen display.

Well deeper clarification on my part.

I expected a basic hdmi output to mirror my phones display like my Motorola Droid 3 had 4 years ago and a 49 dollar phone has today. I scratched my head after noticing the 1520 didn't have it.

Found it odd the 950 doesn't have it and wonder if it's more about selling accessories. Spend the $1 add the port in addition to the C port on the flagship models.

Harwant Sethi1

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Quite honestly, until Windows 10 is mature and the app selection and app quality is even near parity with Android and iOS, I can't justify making the 950 my only device. Until then, I'm keeping my Lumia 930 around for the occasional day with a Windows Phone, but on base the iPhone 6s Plus will remain my daily driver. After experiencing life with Snapchat, the banking apps I need (Capital One 360 and Bank of America, to name just two) niceties such as iMessages and fully functional social media (Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook on iOS are far superior to their WP counterparts), you won't want to go back to Windows until it can play ball with the big boys.

halflifecrysis

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
I was sooooo grouchy when my Chase app got pulled. I can't scan deposit checks any longer.

Chase said "just use the browser" and drive to the branch for deposits.

Yeah..... :/

Bill Berry

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
Currently I have the HTC One M7 (GSM) Developer Edition 64GB (purple tint & all) flashed with ARHD43, a pair of Verizon Wireless variant HTC One M8s; one with Android 5.0.1 stock (ex-wife's device) the second with Windows 10 Mobile build 10586. It's safe to say with every new flagship device it is said to be the best to date. Personally, I'm looking at a device that will last me 3 years; I refuse to buy the most newest device simply because it is what it is, new! There is no compelling argument to update to the Lumia 950 or 950XL unless you're maybe a T-Mobile user and in need of Band 12 (Extended VoLTE) and assuming the device in question has every LTE band known to man. Devices aren't cheap either. There has to be a compelling reason to buy a "new" device, though I will be the first to admit it drives me ape**** when the brain trusts at these device maker companies fail in this thing we call common sense and for example I need a wall charger not a usb charger to charge my M8W from a dead battery to restart and I can't simply plug the doggone thing without it having to actually restart to do so; I mean, how stupid is that? My M8A and M7A can actually stay off when I plug them in. Before I buy a new device, I want to know if I'm going to have this same stupidity or be made to buy more crap just to turn the device on.

Last edited:

vrans99

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
I have a Lumia 1520 for two years now, and I love it. The common sense upgrade would be to the 950XL (and I have my reserves).
Main reasons that I haven't upgraded to 950XL yet:
a) It is not available on my carrier (ATT here in the USA), so I don't have the option of the subsidy with 2 year contract or a payment plan. If at least it would be available at BestBuy, where I can buy it with 0% financing for 12 months, I would upgrade it then. I don't want to pay $650 at once.
b) If I have to pay full price at once, I rather wait for the Surface Phone, so I can justify the expense. The Surface Phone, anyway, is what I think is really my 1520 natural upgrade.

Last month, my wife's 1520 started acting up and it was due for an upgrade. Our only option at ATT or BestBuy was the 950, a downgrade from the 1520. I was vacillating for a couple of weeks, trying to find a way to buy the 950XL for her with no luck. So I ended getting for my wife a Samsung Edge S6 Plus. What a shame! Microsoft just lost a Windows Mobile 10 user. Over two years to upgrade a phone is too much. I hope my 1520 don't die before the Surface Phone, because I don't know what I will do. When the Surface Phone become available, probably, my Lumia 1520 will be about 3 years old. I don't want to lose my hope, but it is pending from a hair.

asyl15

May 9, 2015
Visit site
I've been with Windows for quite a while, coming into the platform with the Lumia 800 then 635 (bought them about 3 years apart) which I have today. It's been almost two years since I bought the 635 and I'm wanting to look outside of the Lumia brand for my next Windows phone. I know my options up here in Canada are going to be quite limited and I'll look into a purchase when I actually have to replace the 635 or if I win a Windows phone somehow. I had to give up the Lumia 800 because I was missing out on so many apps available for WP8 & WP8.1, but not on WP7.8.

The Chapman

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
No money! I work in the oil industry and it is in the dumper right now. Sometime in 2017 when things are humming along I'll be sure and get me a 950XL.

elangab

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I upgraded my ATIV S to Lumia 640. The cost was $39. I'm sure the 950 is better than the 640, but is it $500 better ? I don't think so. I rather pay $39 for a good phone and see where W10M is heading before getting a premium phone.

fdruid

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
which country do you live in?

Argentina. There's a solid presence of Lumia phones here, and they do release some of them locally (for example, they just released the 640 XL and before that the 640), though not all of them. And the exchange rates for US dollars and the import taxes and restrictions make it impossible to buy tech devices online. So this kind of flagship phones, even when they can be found, are usually bought as imports at crazy prices. For example, there's a guy who sells the Lumia 950 XL at a price around 1400 dollars.

So yeah, it makes it difficult. These phones are supposed to eventually be released locally, no idea when, but probably around six months, and again, as very expensive devices. So the best bet is to get someone who travels to USA and bring one. But this becomes difficult as there's not stock in brick and mortar stores.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes