External AMP/DAC for 950??

jayramphone

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
Does the 950, or in fact windowns 10, support external AMPs/DACs?
To improve music quality I'd like to connect one and then connect my headphones to the external AMP/DAC.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Windows phones are going to need full OTG support for a DAC to work for audio.
So far this hasn't happened.

Sure would be a nice feature.

jayramphone

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
Windows phones are going to need full OTG support for a DAC to work for audio.
So far this hasn't happened.

Sure would be a nice feature.

I have just bought a usb-c to usb-a adapter and an audioengine D3 D3 24-bit DAC

I will be using it mainly for a PC, but will report back on whether it works on the 950. I have read some reports that it does work.

jayramphone

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
Just to confirm that this DAC does indeed work with the 950.
Sound quality is clearer and louder.
No problems at all, plugged in the USB-C to A adapter, DAC into adapter, headphones into DAC.
The DAC is thumb drive size so its adds no real bulk to a normal phone to headphone set up.
Well done windows 10!

jayramphone

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
Here is the pic

The two lights on the DAC represent power and also that music is playing @24bit, 96khz.. The latter surprised me a little as wasn't sure the 950 would stream at that level (music in the pic is coming from Groove - it might be the DAC upscaling I guess?).

I went for the adapter that is wired to the USB-A end because I didnt want any pressure on the USB-C in this set up with one of those solid adapters. Essentially the adapter end and DAC just become a link in the cabling (more flexible)

Attachments

• IMG_0348.JPG
    IMG_0348.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:

jayramphone

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
Amazing, it absolutely does not take any space, DAC is really small. I myself listen to a 96Hz and 24Bit .flac
Can you list names of DAC and Adapter? would really like a bit more louder and cleaner sound, plus maybe would help with static noise, etc. from headphones jack.: http://forums.windowscentral.com/mi...06373-lumia-950-xl-aux-out-plays-jittery.html

Thanks

The DAC is the one in the link in an earlier post - Audioengine D3. Here again :
Audioengine D3 Premium 24 Bit Digital Anaolgue Convertor (DAC) USB Audio Amplifier: Amazon.co.uk: TV

The adapter is this one:
TROND? AC6 USB Type C Cable Adapter , For Apple MacBook: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

I have not yet tested the battery drain over a long period of time. The DAC is usb powered so will drawing from the phone.

Note the DAC also includes an adapter to send the sound to powered speakers, and of course you can also use it on any PC with headphones. I have a very top end PC and it still improves the sound, whilst my wifes mid range PC gets a significant improvement in sound.

Last edited:

TheChazas

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
Thanks, what SoundCard do you have on your PC or do you use External SoundCard?

About the battery, please do report after a while how is the drain, for me it would be less a bit, because when I am not listening through audio speakers, mostly I use only Earphones.

notrichyet

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I debated a headphone amp after finding the beats audio on the HTC 8x amazing vs. any phone since...but instead went for some blue tooth headphones, AKG Y50 BT as in essence it's the same thing for me, better audio than cabled headphones and no wires. Perfect :)

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Just to confirm that this DAC does indeed work with the 950.
Sound quality is clearer and louder.
No problems at all, plugged in the USB-C to A adapter, DAC into adapter, headphones into DAC.
The DAC is thumb drive size so its adds no real bulk to a normal phone to headphone set up.
Well done windows 10!

Thanks for the update about this.
I had no idea this function had become available.
This will be important for many users who are into good audio.

Another plus for 10 and Microsoft phones.

jayramphone

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
Thanks, what SoundCard do you have on your PC or do you use External SoundCard?

About the battery, please do report after a while how is the drain, for me it would be less a bit, because when I am not listening through audio speakers, mostly I use only Earphones.

Hi - my PC is currently running off the motherboard integrated sound. So when I say high end, I mean high end of a motherboard (!). Mobo is an X99 Extreme which uses the Crsytal Sound 2. I am moving to a Presonus sudio interface and powered speakers (KRKs), so the DAC I bought is mainly for the phone and wifes PC which uses awful onboard audio.

TheChazas

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
Love KRK monitors! Oh and PreSonus is some serious hardware, by any chances not only audiophile yourself, but making music too?
I gonna really look into that DAC, really could use little portable one, so thanks to you.

jayramphone

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
Love KRK monitors! Oh and PreSonus is some serious hardware, by any chances not only audiophile yourself, but making music too?
I gonna really look into that DAC, really could use little portable one, so thanks to you.

Some music creation, yes, but very much hobby based.

In terms of the battery drain using the DAC, it is working out at 14% per hour, so c7hrs of music plating through the DAC on a full charge.

TheChazas

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, been reading those. It is just a little hard to get shipped to where I live. I guess in local audio stores it would be a hard find, and double priced as well.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo