Help me try to find a solution for the microphones

Cocobongo123

May 26, 2016
Visit site
The 930/950 lumias have 4 microphones for 5.1 audio. My L930 is not working properly, but because I think it might crash some driver-app to make it work properly.
Could they compare to the Apps you have installed?

wp_ss_20161209_0006.png

The specific recording program can see all microphones and record normally.

These are all the App that the Store asked me to download, these are the basic Apps.
Could someone tell me if there is any missing? Could they compare with your windows 10 mobile?

wp_ss_20161209_0005.png

wp_ss_20161209_0004.png

wp_ss_20161209_0003.png

wp_ss_20161209_0002.png

Exup

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
although, the 930/950 has 4 microphones, the Windows 10 can only use 2 of them.
It's a Windows 10 limitation.
In 8.1 you could record the 5.1 videos...not anymore :-( (with the basic voice recorder and Camera app).

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
Well, to be specific, "Windows 10" can record more than two channels at a time. Perhaps "Windows 10 Mobile" can't, or perhaps you need a specific driver for Mobile or the 950, but "Windows 10" certainly can.

Exup

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Well, to be specific, "Windows 10" can record more than two channels at a time. Perhaps "Windows 10 Mobile" can't, or perhaps you need a specific driver for Mobile or the 950, but "Windows 10" certainly can.

You're right, Windows 10 (like all other Windows in the past 15 years) can record as many channels as you have (depending of the driver).

The question here is regarding Windows 10 Mobile ( the print screens are from Windows 10Mobile):

It is really a shame this kind of limitation. I do have a 930 (and also the 950XL) with the 4 mics and I loved the function on the 8.1... hopefully Microsoft enable this feature on the OS.

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
Are there any official documents or statements we can refer to here? I actually know (of) someone who is in audio who works for MS and is usually really good at communicating this sort of stuff back and forth with MS/audio people.... I will ask him if I can get something to point to.

Exup

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Are there any official documents or statements we can refer to here? I actually know (of) someone who is in audio who works for MS and is usually really good at communicating this sort of stuff back and forth with MS/audio people.... I will ask him if I can get something to point to.

On the 8.1, the camera app had the option to enable 5.1 recording (like it has also the option to use Dolby when using headphones) in the Nokia Hardware (the ones with the 4 Haac microphones, like the Lumia 930).
there was great capabilities with this setup:
- Rich audio recording (taking advantage of the HAAC mics) with a high bitrate on the models with HAAC mics (920, 830, 930 etc...)
- 5.1 recording on the models with more than 2 mics (930 for example)

Nokia made some cool videos "bragging" about it

Daniel Rubino here:

Nokia 4mics capabilities

Then Microsoft launched the WIndows 10Mobile... and disabled the 4mics (only enable recording on 2 of them) and it lowered the bitrate to a lousy bitrate...
Now it records at:
192kbps 48.0 kHz (instead of 320kbps on the windows 8.1) 2channels, AAC, (LC)

Even the 950XL and 950 which have the 4 mics, can't use them...
So, basically they need to:
- enable four mics on the windows 10M OS
- enable the software to use them
- enable the option on the phones to use the 5.1
- enable the rich recording feature

I still find it hard to accept in having a newer operating system with less features comparing with the previous one!

Thanks a lot for trying to help :)

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
Awesome, thanks. I sent a PM to the MS guy on a different (audio) forum and I hope he'll reply soon-ish. Since he's in audio himself I'm sure he cares about this and he should get back to us.

I'll keep you posted.

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
Ok, so I heard back from him and I have a couple of things to relay. Mind you that there are limits to what he is allowed to say officially, so this is what he has allowed me to relay:

- I was to let you know he's checking on it with the engineers, and that most people are already gone for the rest of the year

- In the meantime, he suggests that anyone who is interested in this, vote up these two feedback items:

Feedback Hub - Windows Insider Program

He noted specifically: "Adding a comment with additional details like "Same on my 950xl even though it's advertized as having 4 microphones, etc." would likely help. Mentioning the 950 is important because it's a fully supported Windows 10 launch device."

- He said there may be other feedback items that match but those were the two that caught his eye right away (I haven't checked them yet, I'm still working tonight). At any rate, bumping those issues is the way to go because the product teams see them.

The other bit of information I got was that development on Win 10 Mobile is actually moving forward at a rapid pace internally, with 3-4 builds per week for internal evaluation and testing. That was just an aside though as I was curious about what pace they're developing at.

Anyway, as he mentioned, holidays are coming up plus the new year so if we see any changes it probably won't be until next year and we probably won't hear anything until then either since people are gone. He didn't say anything about any unofficial solutions and he'll be away soon as well, but since he's in audio he'll likely give me more info if and when he gets it.

This is of interest to me as well, so if I forget about this and it's like January or something you can PM me or bump the thread or so and I'll reach out to him again.

Exup

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Ok, so I heard back from him and I have a couple of things to relay. Mind you that there are limits to what he is allowed to say officially, so this is what he has allowed me to relay:

- I was to let you know he's checking on it with the engineers, and that most people are already gone for the rest of the year

- In the meantime, he suggests that anyone who is interested in this, vote up these two feedback items:

He noted specifically: "Adding a comment with additional details like "Same on my 950xl even though it's advertized as having 4 microphones, etc." would likely help. Mentioning the 950 is important because it's a fully supported Windows 10 launch device."

- He said there may be other feedback items that match but those were the two that caught his eye right away (I haven't checked them yet, I'm still working tonight). At any rate, bumping those issues is the way to go because the product teams see them.

The other bit of information I got was that development on Win 10 Mobile is actually moving forward at a rapid pace internally, with 3-4 builds per week for internal evaluation and testing. That was just an aside though as I was curious about what pace they're developing at.

Anyway, as he mentioned, holidays are coming up plus the new year so if we see any changes it probably won't be until next year and we probably won't hear anything until then either since people are gone. He didn't say anything about any unofficial solutions and he'll be away soon as well, but since he's in audio he'll likely give me more info if and when he gets it.

This is of interest to me as well, so if I forget about this and it's like January or something you can PM me or bump the thread or so and I'll reach out to him again.

Thanks a lot mate.
I already gave my comments and up voted the 2 feedbacks.

Let's hope other 950/xl users can up vote these too. I'll put your info also in the 950xl forum in order to see if we can have more up votes.

UPDATE: I created the thread with the link to this one. and if you don't mind, I'll also write the info you gave us here.

Once again: THANKS a lot!

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb