Crashes & Reboot Loops

nrimolde

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I was having problems with my Lumia 950's screen randomly going black, and then crashing and restarting. Thankfully it was still under warranty, so I send it in. It came back to me, still broken.

I decided to go to the AT&T Warranty Center, and they gave me a replacement phone, and bumped my warranty back up to 90 days. I thought I would be set. The only problem is that after having updated the new 950, and restoring a backup, I started having the same issue as with the old one. What are the chances?

Has anyone else here been having this problem with the 950? I don't know what the cause is, as my old 950 did this regardless of the OS version installed. Maybe on this new one it is a problem with the current build (14393.448). I don't really know. I am hoping there is a way to fix this, or that Microsoft is aware of it, and can fix it soon.

Thanks

Timo47v

Jan 30, 2016
Visit site
Perhaps you should try NOT restoring from a backup. Maybe the problem is caused by an app and not the OS or the device itself?

nrimolde

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Perhaps you should try NOT restoring from a backup. Maybe the problem is caused by an app and not the OS or the device itself?

Great minds think alike. I had just started on that to see if it would make any difference. I had previously tried that with the old 950, but realized I hadn't tried that with the new one yet.

Thanks!

nrimolde

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Great minds think alike. I had just started on that to see if it would make any difference. I had previously tried that with the old 950, but realized I hadn't tried that with the new one yet.

Thanks!

Turns out that wasn't the solution. But I did find one. The battery was the culprit. I very hesitantly ordered a new battery on eBay here. Took forever to arrive, but I installed it, and have been using the phone without problems since January 9th.

While I am quite annoyed that Microsoft doesn't have an official place to order batteries for the 950, $15 isn't too bad to have a fully working phone again.

I wanted to update this thread for anyone else that might be having these problems as well.

anon(9833501)

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
Been having problems like this as well. Phone freezing and restarting all the time. Couldn't really use it.

I did a reset and currently is better. Still slow tho.

To be hones I am keeping this lousy phone just for its camera, everything else is a big disappointment.

zimilaci

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
Hey, I am coming from the 950xl forum, where some of us are reporting the same issue after the upgrade.

And for many of us a new battery was the solution.... but tell me., how come it all happened after the upgrade?

Maybe the software itself which was buggy?

I have not had any issues before the upgrade.

nrimolde

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Been having problems like this as well. Phone freezing and restarting all the time. Couldn't really use it.

I did a reset and currently is better. Still slow tho.

To be hones I am keeping this lousy phone just for its camera, everything else is a big disappointment.

That's really too bad to hear. The platform obviously has lack of support for development, but I myself have been very happy with the hardware, and many of the apps that are available.

Hey, I am coming from the 950xl forum, where some of us are reporting the same issue after the upgrade.

And for many of us a new battery was the solution.... but tell me., how come it all happened after the upgrade?

Maybe the software itself which was buggy?

I have not had any issues before the upgrade.

I can't imagine an update being so buggy as to damage the battery, as replacing it fixed all of my issues. But, I guess anything is possible.

noticed this today as well phone is constantly rebooting now and it is MURDERING my battery 50% in 4 hours....

Battery life in W10 Mobile has always been terrible. Is this lifespan while using the phone heavily, or just while sitting in your pocket? I know the battery on my 950 doesn't last for anything if I'm playing games or watching videos on it.

obakir

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
With the latest update the phone became less stable. Classic update schedule, two step forward one step back. apps are crashing, screen brightness is reduced for no reason. gets back to normal after lock/unlock.

nrimolde

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
With the latest update the phone became less stable. Classic update schedule, two step forward one step back. apps are crashing, screen brightness is reduced for no reason. gets back to normal after lock/unlock.

I haven't tested this very thoroughly, but in my experience, if you disable double tap to wake, the screen brightness problem should go away. Not quite sure why, but that seems to be the culprit.

As for the other problems, not sure. I haven't personally noticed any major problems with the latest update. Maybe faulty hardware?

I know Windows 10 Mobile has some problems, but I still prefer it over iOS or Android.

zimilaci

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
Well, unfortunately I was not able to test the new battery theory, but it might have happened that I charged my 950XL with a ZTE fast charger (9V instead of 5v) I might have ruined the battery, I have no reboots when I am charging the device.... soooo yeah go figures...

Will see :)

obakir

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
I haven't tested this very thoroughly, but in my experience, if you disable double tap to wake, the screen brightness problem should go away. Not quite sure why, but that seems to be the culprit.

I'm getting too old for doing debugging for Microsoft and not getting paid.

webwevers

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
Having the same problem with mine, I thought it was the SD card since it takes forever to show pictures I have saved to it. Tried everything and ready to move to a new phone but thought I would take a look here to see if anyone else has had these problems. My problems started after applying an update so maybe the next update will correct it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonkalas