webOS Refugees - Meet Here

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Quick question... With WP7, can you be on the phone with someone and be doing something else at the same time? And if not, is it an upcoming feature of Mango or Tango?
Eg. 1: On phone while taking notes on a notes type app or in word.
Eg. 2: On phone while looking something up on the internet (assuming you have a wifi connection)
Eg. 3: Flat out talking on phone and playing a game?

foosball

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Quick question... With WP7, can you be on the phone with someone and be doing something else at the same time? And if not, is it an upcoming feature of Mango or Tango?
Eg. 1: On phone while taking notes on a notes type app or in word.
Eg. 2: On phone while looking something up on the internet (assuming you have a wifi connection)
Eg. 3: Flat out talking on phone and playing a game?

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes, minus the audio.

However, fast task switching with webOS like cards only comes when Mango drops.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes, minus the audio.

However, fast task switching with webOS like cards only comes when Mango drops.

:) Good to hear.

LOL, I showed my wife, who has been pushing to not go the WP7 path, this pic... http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/02/11x0211nokiaconcept.jpg

She's likes the pink one and loved Nokia back in the day. She wants to know when it will be out in the US.... Didn't like my Q1 reply.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

Last edited:

selcouth14

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Purchased the HTC Trophy today, can't wait to send the Pre off a cliff but I'll probably end up keeping it for nostalgic reasons. Looking forward to having a phone that just. f'ing. works.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Purchased the HTC Trophy today, can't wait to send the Pre off a cliff but I'll probably end up keeping it for nostalgic reasons. Looking forward to having a phone that just. f'ing. works.

You'll have to let me know how you like it after using it for a couple of days. Just curious how bad of a transition it would be going from a Pre's hardware keyboard to a virtual keyboard on a 3.8" screen.

selcouth14

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
You'll have to let me know how you like it after using it for a couple of days. Just curious how bad of a transition it would be going from a Pre's hardware keyboard to a virtual keyboard on a 3.8" screen.

Seeing as how my keyboard was double pressing some letters and null pressing others...I may be a little biased in my initial review but I'll definitely let you guys know what I think after I've tried it out a bit.

IamDefiler

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Precentral.net user here and pre- user from release week one. Have 2.x loaded and hate it every day only because of the hardware. I'm holding out til the Mango phones get released. I am praying Sprint gets more than one this time and I am even considering a slab phone after using a physical keyboard through my Treo 650p - 700p - 755p - HTC Touch pro - pre -.

I have gone to the Sprint store a few times and tried typing and it is miles ahead of webOS on the auto correction. I was pretty impressed. And yes, the UI is blazing fast compared to any brand/model phone I have used or seen before. Anyway, here's to the new OS!

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site

haha. Nice. I've had my Trophy for approx 2 week's and I've used the "phone" probably 5 times or less. I've been texting more than talking. I'm enjoying not having a keypad that doesn't respond. I'm still learning the in's and out's of the Trophy, but it is a great improvement.

Reactions: ikkf

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site

I was a physical keyboard guy myself too. I actually like the on screen kb. It has been great! Now, I do have an HD Zune, which uses the same type of kb, so that probably plays some factor. This is after about 2 weeks of use, texting more than talking.

foosball

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
I was a physical keyboard guy myself too. I actually like the on screen kb. It has been great! Now, I do have an HD Zune, which uses the same type of kb, so that probably plays some factor. This is after about 2 weeks of use, texting more than talking.

Same here, former Pre user who loves the onscreen kb for Windows Phone. Question for you and any other former webOS users:

Do you guys use the Windows Phone keyboard in portrait or landscape mode?

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Same here, former Pre user who loves the onscreen kb for Windows Phone. Question for you and any other former webOS users:

mostly portrait. But either orientation is good.

nyquistjack

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Ok,back after a crazy week. I got LASIK on Tuesday and the flu on Wednesday. I highly recommend the LASIK, the flu...not so much.

Speaking of not recommending things...android sucks major monkey turds. After a week I want to toss the thing off my roof. The keyboards all suck, not even close to wp7. Everything just feels hacked together. The only good feature was the 3d camera. Turns out 3d is freaking neat, but not even close to enough to put up with the rest of the phone.

So, its back to the Pre this weekend and the waiting game we pre users are so used to. I also get to call sprint and try to get the $200 in charges from trying these phones out removed.

I have to say that the most surprising disappointment though were the notifications. The top bar is so crowd2d with worthless icons and the notifications give no information that I actually decided I preferred wp7 notifications with their limitations. I really miiss webOS right now....

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

I stick with portrait mode unless I'm typing something long like an email. Otherwise it's not even worth the 1 second it takes to change orientations. Portrait mode works fine.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Hmm... Can I use the wall charger from my Pre to charge my Focus? Same connectors and all... Could the power be too much or to little?

Sent from my Focus using Board Express

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Hmm... Can I use the wall charger from my Pre to charge my Focus? Same connectors and all... Could the power be too much or to little?

You sure can. They both output 5V at 1A.

AFAIK all USB chargers output this same power.

selcouth14

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
haha. Nice. I've had my Trophy for approx 2 week's and I've used the "phone" probably 5 times or less. I've been texting more than talking. I'm enjoying not having a keypad that doesn't respond. I'm still learning the in's and out's of the Trophy, but it is a great improvement.

Running on almost a week now with the Trophy and I absolutely love it. I've made/received maybe 4 phone calls but, like you, I've been texting and exploring like Marco Polo with a cell phone! The software keyboard took a little time to get used to but I can now type just as fast as I could with the hardware keyboard from my old Pre-. I mainly use it portrait style since I'm still used to that type of "squished" layout but I'm more surprised at how easy the autocorrect/replace/suggest works for me (I hated it on the Pre). Now the only thing left is to wait for Mango to bring some multitasking/app switching madness!

selcouth14

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site

I just used my Pre cable to charge and update my Trophy to Mango yesterday with no problems; have at it!

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Mango is very nice. So far I am loving my Focus. Only things I am missing are an LED for notifications while screen is off, just type for a universal search, custom sounds for notifications, and the beer knurd app I wrote for webOS. Well, I can fix the last one by porting my app over, and the others are ignorable the more i use WP7. WP7 is one slick mobile OS!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon