webOS Refugees - Meet Here

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Or let us flick it off the top of the screen from card view. ;o) I can't stand the constant back button mashing to close everything.

Picked up a used (looks new to me) Arrive a couple of days ago and am loving it so far.

I just jumped through hoops to get the calendar to accept multiple gMail calendars. This was one of two major things I needed. The other I still haven't figured out yet. And that is the ability to select the "Send email as...". I have multiple email account funneling into gmail and I want the ability to send from another account like I did with my pre. Anyone know how to do this?

Other than that, Mango is a HUGE step in the right direction and, in most areas, leaps and bounds over the pre and webOS.

you don't have to close the apps. Just push the windows button.

IamDefiler

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
OK. I know this isn't a help section but i searched and couldn't find this answer...

At what point do the quick jump letters appear on the apps list page?

infenit101

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I definitely wish Metro UI would let us do more horizontally. The home screen would look especially good if it flowed from left to right, make apps a tile and get rid of that long black bar thing. Also I want to swipe up on the cards. Wish I could change the color and size of tiles like Win 8, maybe in Apollo?

infenit101

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Count me in.

Owned the Palm Pre 2 for about 6 weeks. Brilliant OS, but kept freezing everyday, so I sadly had to give-up on it. Was hoping the HP Pre 3 would have all the bugs removed, but because HP have also given-up, I have now become a Windows Winner and looking forward to the release of the HTC Titan which is my next phone.

Such is life.

I just sold my Sprint Franken Pre2 for 83 dollars. I loved the speed and feel of webos but what ultimately turned me off was lack of apps and the phone is just too small.

L

lumic

At what point do the quick jump letters appear on the apps list page?
I seem to recall that my letters appeared at around 42 apps (in total).

I definitely wish Metro UI would let us do more horizontally. The home screen would look especially good if it flowed from left to right, make apps a tile and get rid of that long black bar thing. Also I want to swipe up on the cards. Wish I could change the color and size of tiles like Win 8, maybe in Apollo?
I think the way that Metro is done makes it hard to do anything meaningful (apart from text entry) in landscape. This is especially not helped along by large headings and such. I believe it is widely expected that tiles will adopt the multi-colour scheme of Windows 8 in Apollo - size is less certain, though I think we should see some Windows 8-esque functionality (wide tiles have the option of being shrunken down to standard).

Agreed but I don't want a number of apps sitting in the background updating every 10 minutes. Sometimes, I'd like to just close it.
For me, it's more that I feel the need to micromanage to keep things neat or in fear that something will go wrong. The apps will not update in the background unless they utilise background agents, which will either (oversimplifying here) execute at regular intervals (meaning that the open/closed state of the app won't matter), or be caused by an input (audio streams). These agents are limited in functionality and resources so no performance hit is taken.

Last edited:

allen832008

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys. I'm struggling with purchasing the HTC Trophy and jump onto the WP7 bandwagon. Is there an equivalent to having a Palm Profile that will backup my data and restore it and my applications after a factory reset of the device?

IamDefiler

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
You use your Live ID and when you connect the phone to your PC with Zune installed, I know it backs up some things but not sure if it would reinstall all your app automagically or not.

<<searching>>

Here is a complete list of what gets backed up and what doesn't. What get's restored and what doesn't. It seems apps do get backed up and restored but you may need to manually restore some.

How to Restore a Backup to My Phone | Windows Phone Backup | Windows Phone 7

allen832008

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. So, I just ordered a HTC Trophy off ebay. What should my first order of business be? Should it come with Mango? I have also heard you get free SkyDrive storage with Window Phones. Is this true and how do I get it? Thanks for the help to someone who knows very little of this platform.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

IamDefiler

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. So, I just ordered a HTC Trophy off ebay. What should my first order of business be? Should it come with Mango? I have also heard you get free SkyDrive storage with Window Phones. Is this true and how do I get it? Thanks for the help to someone who knows very little of this platform.

1. Download and install the latest Zune software if you haven't already.
2. Sign up for a Live.com account if you don't have one already. This is how you will get Skydrive. (unlimited storage for docs and pics, etc.)
3. Once you get the phone and activate it with your carrier, connect it to your PC and have Zune check for updates and install all updates. This will eventually install Mango. I wiped my used Arrive before activating just to get a fresh start (Settings > About > reset your phone).

After that it's personal preference. I set the speech setting to always on (Settings > speech). I like to respond to text messages without having to touch my phone. :) Install a bunch of apps you like and enjoy!

allen832008

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
1. Download and install the latest Zune software if you haven't already.
2. Sign up for a Live.com account if you don't have one already. This is how you will get Skydrive. (unlimited storage for docs and pics, etc.)
3. Once you get the phone and activate it with your carrier, connect it to your PC and have Zune check for updates and install all updates. This will eventually install Mango. I wiped my used Arrive before activating just to get a fresh start (Settings > About > reset your phone).

After that it's personal preference. I set the speech setting to always on (Settings > speech). I like to respond to text messages without having to touch my phone. :) Install a bunch of apps you like and enjoy!

Thanks. That is all very helpful. Just by chance are you EdCates from the webOSroundup forums?

IamDefiler

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. That is all very helpful. Just by chance are you EdCates from the webOSroundup forums?

NP. Nope. But I have left comments on articles there as IamDefiler and also on precentral.net as Defiler.

EDIT: I see why you asked now. Because of the avatar. :) I just happened to think it was one of the coolest/funniest classic pictures I've seen in a long time.

allen832008

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
NP. Nope. But I have left comments on articles there as IamDefiler and also on precentral.net as Defiler.

EDIT: I see why you asked now. Because of the avatar. :) I just happened to think it was one of the coolest/funniest classic pictures I've seen in a long time.

Yep. Very unique photo. As a long time Palm user, what are some things that impress you about WP7, and how does it compare to webOS?

IamDefiler

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Yep. Very unique photo. As a long time Palm user, what are some things that impress you about WP7, and how does it compare to webOS?

Impressed about speed, built-in features like bar code scanning, audible music search, etc. It's honestly rock solid. Still have yet to get a single lockup. Battery life. Integration with Zume Music pass is awesome if you love music. App selection is better. It has everything I truly used on my pre - and then some. The mail app seems to be much more intuitive once you forget about swipe to delete. It handles "Synergy" pretty well although you will have to link profiles a little more than webOS. webOS had a way of knowing who was who and linking where WP7.5 seems to ignore the obvious links. Live tiles are a very nice feature too. And from a design stand point, the UI is minimal, clever, functional, and beautiful. Contact groups are a nice feature too. Group texting, emailing or checking your group's FB posts, etc. is brilliant.

Things I am still scratching my head about are no easy way to close "cards" from the card screen. You have to "back button" your way out to fully close the app. I still haven't figured out how to change the "send as" in emails. I have a number of emails that filter into my one gmail account and I was always able to switch this in webOS but for the life of me, I can't figure it out in WP.

Things I miss from webOS. JUST TYPE!!!! I want to search and not have to go to that app to search for it! I know they are working on integrating contacts into the Bing search but it is not here yet. Same with apps, websites, starting FB posts, etc. This is where webOS just ruled. It was so easy and intuitive and minimized the steps it took to do basic tasks. WP is close but no other mobile OS comes close to webOS yet.

A little funny story from two weeks ago...I went to a friends house the other night and a couple of other friends were there with their new iPhone 4ses and they were demoing some of the new features. I was interested as well. I love tech in general and this is what us geeks do every once in a while; just get together and talk tech. So, my friend asked me to demo some of the features in WP7.5 because they had never used it before. So, I'm going through the gamut of features like the text to speech without even touching the phone, book scanner, text scanner (another one of my favorite features), the Zune music store, etc. I could tell he was liking what he saw and was impressed. So, after a few more minutes of "the demo" he turns to our other friend and says, "Hey Jay, we can't let this Windows Phone show up out iPhones." I knew he was joking but I also knew there were some features he would like to have on his iPhone.

All phones have their good and bad but Mango's pros way outweigh the cons that will eventually be addressed in future updates.

allen832008

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Impressed about speed, built-in features like bar code scanning, audible music search, etc. It's honestly rock solid. Still have yet to get a single lockup. Battery life. Integration with Zume Music pass is awesome if you love music. App selection is better. It has everything I truly used on my pre - and then some. The mail app seems to be much more intuitive once you forget about swipe to delete. It handles "Synergy" pretty well although you will have to link profiles a little more than webOS. webOS had a way of knowing who was who and linking where WP7.5 seems to ignore the obvious links. Live tiles are a very nice feature too. And from a design stand point, the UI is minimal, clever, functional, and beautiful. Contact groups are a nice feature too. Group texting, emailing or checking your group's FB posts, etc. is brilliant.

Things I am still scratching my head about are no easy way to close "cards" from the card screen. You have to "back button" your way out to fully close the app. I still haven't figured out how to change the "send as" in emails. I have a number of emails that filter into my one gmail account and I was always able to switch this in webOS but for the life of me, I can't figure it out in WP.

Things I miss from webOS. JUST TYPE!!!! I want to search and not have to go to that app to search for it! I know they are working on integrating contacts into the Bing search but it is not here yet. Same with apps, websites, starting FB posts, etc. This is where webOS just ruled. It was so easy and intuitive and minimized the steps it took to do basic tasks. WP is close but no other mobile OS comes close to webOS yet.

A little funny story from two weeks ago...I went to a friends house the other night and a couple of other friends were there with their new iPhone 4ses and they were demoing some of the new features. I was interested as well. I love tech in general and this is what us geeks do every once in a while; just get together and talk tech. So, my friend asked me to demo some of the features in WP7.5 because they had never used it before. So, I'm going through the gamut of features like the text to speech without even touching the phone, book scanner, text scanner (another one of my favorite features), the Zune music store, etc. I could tell he was liking what he saw and was impressed. So, after a few more minutes of "the demo" he turns to our other friend and says, "Hey Jay, we can't let this Windows Phone show up out iPhones." I knew he was joking but I also knew there were some features he would like to have on his iPhone.

All phones have their good and bad but Mango's pros way outweigh the cons that will eventually be addressed in future updates.

Love the story. I miss Just Type everytime I try another platform. Will the People hub sync my contacts from my Google account and Facebook profiles like synergy?

allen832008

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I received my Trophy yesterday, and so far I like it. The interface is fresh and minimalistic. However, I can't find a valid replacement for Dr. Podder. I just want to be able to schedule a time to auto download my favorite podcasts. Am I missing something?

Sent from my mwp6985 using Board Express

Forgewizard

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Something enjoyable with WP7 so far has been the ability to locate apps that are similar to ones I used on my Palm Pre and I've been able to load them without having to "Dr" the phone, just pick an app and load it - whammo! It works!

I've figured out the WP7 copy paste, but wish it had a select all option.

Do miss "Just type".

am enjoying the much better battery life! all in all am very happy with the switch!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babukapyar