Samsung co CEO dumps on Win8 and WP8

Ridemyscooter86

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
as much as i like Windows 8 and WP8 (i dont have WP8 device for now but i have a windows 8 tablet), the main problem with the OS is Microsoft's inability to adapt faster. I remember how shi**y Windows Mobile 6.5 was in first Xperia, very slow and had too much problems. Their first decent mobile OS was Windows Phone 7.5 mango and when it released people already flocked to android and iOS. Even blackberry already in decline back then. Regular people want to play casual games, want their phone to have instagram, etc. Microsoft is truly lacking in these vital features hence why not many casual people buy WP8.

Windows 8 is also facing the same problem. Google and Apple (and you can say Amazon if you count their OS is different from Android) already jumped into tablet market since 2009/2010 and Microsoft's first dedicated touch OS just came out recently. When Google and Apple are now battling in 7-8" screen size, Microsoft hasn't even supported that screen size yet. They are always one step behind. That's why it cant compete. What worse is, they force the same appearance to the desktop version hence why many people don't like it.

There's a reason why Apple never mix Mac OS X and iOS altogether. Instead Apple cleverly borrow iOS features bit by bit to be implemented in Mac OS X but Mac OS X still feels desktop and still pretty much different from iPad. This is actually how Microsoft should do it.

They should allow desktop users to start into desktop mode because like it or not we have to admit productivity is still there, right in desktop mode. People who use desktop are those who want to work not to play. That's why metro feels unimportant in desktop. At least that's how I see it. I have Windows 8 on my desktop too but honestly i almost never touched anything metro except skydrive, mail, skype, and IM+. Recently i even installed skype desktop version because it's easier to just switch between apps there instead having to go to start screen and click "Skype" or move your mouse to the top left and swipe it down and choose skype. The experience is totally different with a tablet because in tablet you can just swipe your finger to switch between apps.

we all know why people are bashing Windows 8. They use it on desktop or laptop. Most of them never really had a Windows 8 tablet hence why their experience was different from us whom use Windows 8 in its best environment (touch screen).

So again, i do like Windows 8. Win8 boot faster than Windows 7. It is even faster than Mac OS X. It's stable, fun, smooth, and refreshing. But in order to please the mass audience (not just me and you), they should try to compete faster and not always one step behind the others. They should try to innovate and (especially for Win8) the price needs to be competitive. Good thing that Intel would reduce its chip prices for next generation haswell and atom bay trail, it would be great to have next Windows Blue tablet for $300-400. They should know the market now is very competitive. Even Amazon wouldnt be able to compete if they never sold their Kindles in very cheap price in the first place.

about WP8, I think they should also allow all the same features of Nokia apps (no restriction at all) to be in Samsung/HTC WP8 devices. Honestly the biggest advantage of Lumia is their offline navigation maps which is very useful for travelers. Why on earth anyone would want to buy HTC/Samsung over Lumia?

good thing is that they are going to do boot to desktop in first update coming out this summer. Otherwise I do agree with many points that they are kinda slow, but on the upside, they are seeming to do everything they are doing very well. Sure people will complain about windows 8 but it will catch on and from the news I've been reading, it was actually a success and not a flop like everybody was making it out to be. In my store, we have only like 1 or 2 people a day come in and complain about windows 8. Most people have no major problems getting used to it and they are like "oh a new windows, let me get it". Some people complain but its not a huge amount.

One thing I've noticed about the tablets is that people have a huge misconception about them..for example I was selling a couple a tablet the other day. They just came from our apple department looking at the ipad and they wanted to look at android, but said specifically not windows. then I asked them why, I said that " I thought windows 8 was much faster, more user friendly, and you could do much more on it than android", then they said "well, yeah, but its going to cost me a grand to buy a windows tablet and its a big heavy computer". Then I just showed them the 400$ acer iconia w510 with intel atom and they were impressed that they could buy a tablet that was a full computer with a touch friendly interface and still do 90% of the stuff they do on their pc on a tablet.

MS is going to have a hard time convincing people that they are a better alternative to android and ipad because, while I truly believe they are, they don't really have too much of a foothold yet. Especially when most people believe that its google or apple and don't even realize that MS has tablets other than the surface, and it seems that people don't want RT because they believe its half-baked and useless even though its not just because the app store isn't as big. I mean they give you 90% full office, except macros which are coming apparently, but still they come with office, thats like 140$ right there already included!

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, I don't know why this news would be any big shock to anyone. It's been obvious since day one that Samsung cares about Android and very, very little or rather, not at all about WP. As far as I'm concerned, that's fine. I would rather get quality hardware that's made by a company that actually cares about the platform, like Nokia. Samsung can keep on crapping out malware-ridden plastic phones all they want. It's for the better of WP and for those of us who enjoy WP.

Ridemyscooter86

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, I don't know why this news would be any big shock to anyone. It's been obvious since day one that Samsung cares about Android and very, very little or rather, not at all about WP. As far as I'm concerned, that's fine. I would rather get quality hardware that's made by a company that actually cares about the platform, like Nokia. Samsung can keep on crapping out malware-ridden plastic phones all they want. It's for the better of WP and for those of us who enjoy WP.

Totally true, as someone who owns a focus s, its pretty much the same phone as the GS2 but with wp. My next phone is definitely going to be a lumia. Also, remember that samsung is also trying to push Tizen very soon, it seems they want a platform they can fully control, which is why they went to android in the first place because they can modify it. It would be funny if tizen starts taking marketshare from android...sounds crazy, but not when you consider that tizen can natively run android apps...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes