Samsung and Apple's marketing departments are showing Microsoft how it's done

dba415

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Apple has always had great commercials for the iPhone. We all agree. Their new commercial with the camera is equally brilliant.

Samsung though has really stepped it up. Starting with the GS3, their commercials have been fantastic. It attacks the iPhone, while also showing everybody what the Galaxy can do. It actually makes the iPhone look gimped compared to the Galaxy.

Microsoft needs to fire its marketing department and start over. The ads are just awful. The dumb dancing Surface commercials do nothing. The Scroogled campaign is just pathetic and makes Microsoft look like small-timers going up against Google. Then the new Windows Phone commercial just reminds people that iPhone and Android are popular, and notice how only 2 people have the Windows Phone in the room of like hundreds (which is like Microsoft's real market share) and both of them are lowly servants.

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
What you didn't see in the commercial is what counts: the two lowly servants were AT&T with the only high end Windows Phone...no other Windows Phones were in the picture. Welcome to the world of exclusivity.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Apple has always had great commercials for the iPhone. We all agree. Their new commercial with the camera is equally brilliant.

Samsung though has really stepped it up. Starting with the GS3, their commercials have been fantastic. It attacks the iPhone, while also showing everybody what the Galaxy can do. It actually makes the iPhone look gimped compared to the Galaxy.

Microsoft needs to fire its marketing department and start over. The ads are just awful. The dumb dancing Surface commercials do nothing. The Scroogled campaign is just pathetic and makes Microsoft look like small-timers going up against Google. Then the new Windows Phone commercial just reminds people that iPhone and Android are popular, and notice how only 2 people have the Windows Phone in the room of like hundreds (which is like Microsoft's real market share) and both of them are lowly servants.

If you're the expert, then what's your idea for a commercial?

Andr3sfc

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site

Agreed. And they're doing the same with the GS4:

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Apple commercial's are "brilliant"??? If you're not a fan of Apple's then you probably find their commercials incredibly dull and annoying.

*stops reading*

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
... I'd say the new Surface and WP8 campaigns are each taking a page from the big guys books and using it to new and amusing heights. That "dumb dancing" commercial with the Surface? What made the dancing iPod commercials not dumb? Hell... I enjoyed the Surface because the commercial takes place in exactly the place I'd imagine it happening. Nothing more amusing than watching business people dancing and beat boxing.

As for the new Lumia 920? Plays up on the silliness between Android and iOS.

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
... I'd say the new Surface and WP8 campaigns are each taking a page from the big guys books and using it to new and amusing heights. That "dumb dancing" commercial with the Surface? What made the dancing iPod commercials not dumb? Hell... I enjoyed the Surface because the commercial takes place in exactly the place I'd imagine it happening. Nothing more amusing than watching business people dancing and beat boxing.

As for the new Lumia 920? Plays up on the silliness between Android and iOS.

Switch to the Nokia Lumia 920 Windows Phone - Engadget Reader's Choice Smartphone of the Year. - YouTube

The dancing iPod commercials were not dumb because people dance when listening to music. Most don't dance around when trying to use a tablet. That's the difference. If I was sitting home and saw the surface commercial I would have no idea what I could do with it. All I would learn is that it makes a nice "click" sound and people seem to be happy dancing all around while trading it back and forth to make more "click" sounds. That's all Microsoft seems to be portraying in the surface commercials. They never actually show anyone doing anything productive or consuming any sort of media. Its sad...

A much better commercial would be showing off specifically what the device can do. An example would be to show two people using a tablet watching movies at lunch, one on a surface and the other on an ipad. Both work for the same boss and get an email at the same time. Some report or something is due right away. While the ipad guy fumbles for a compatible app in order to edit a excel document or something, the surface guy just puts his movie on pause, plugs in the keyboard (making sure you emphasize the "click"), presses the desktop tile, opens the email and edits and then sends it straight back. He then undocks the keyboard, and opens right back to his movie and goes back to his lunch while the ipad guy has issue after issue for compatibility and formatting.

This shows how you can be productive AND playful with the surface. It would show what the surface can actually do instead of just dancing people making "click" sounds.

Just my input, feel free to disagree...

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Could someone please explain to me the purpose of this entire posting? If anyone thinks they can do better than what is being done then by all means go an do it! Be sure to tell all those professional marketing folks how wrong they are while your at it.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
The latest Windows 8 commercials on tv are showing a lot of what you can do. Much better than the earlier ones.

And I'm still trying to think of an iphone commercial I thought was brilliant.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Most people I know, including die hard Apple fans, hated the dancing ipod commercials.

The ipad commercials are incredibly lame as well. That one of the ipad mini with the piano made me want to pull my hair out

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I think it's just me. Every time I see an iphone ad I see blah blah blah, we're apple dig us, blah blah blah.

But I have been amused by some of the Samsung ads.

The apps one is probably the only Apple ad I like. The ones that show off features I hate. Every time I see the panorama one where they go, "Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese" I get annoyed. Plus, I'm thinking, "Pfft, other phones have panorama." Then there's also the one about how they made the screen taller, but you can still use it with one hand. I hate that one too. I still think the screen is too small, and I don't even have big hands.

Samsung ads are entertaining though, and they show off features.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I don't think I would have ever said this - but those 2-3 links of SGS4 actually do look incredible. They are to the point. The key features highlighted - bam! Also easily says that "your phone can't do that"

As much as I enjoyed smoked by WP campaign, I think a clear to the point ad or two would go miles. SGS4 for a split second looked good to me and then I realized it run Android, meh!

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
The thing about the Surface dancing commercials and the WP Wedding commercial is that they're designed to raise brand awareness. They're designed to make people think "hm...what's a Surface?" or "what's a Lumia?" And you know what? It worked! The first day I brought my Surface RT to school, two or three people asked me to make it make the "click" sound. I was taking notes on my Surface Pro at work the other day, and someone said "you're not going to get up and start dancing with that thing, are you?" And then there's this: “Don?t fight-Switch” ad doubled Nokia Lumia 920 search interest in USA | WMPoweruser

You might think that these ads aren't effective, but the fact of the matter is that they're doing exactly what they're meant to do. Everyone knows what a Surface is now, and in marketing brand-awareness is half the battle.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3