Windows Phone is now #3

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Re: "Windows Phone steals third place from Blackberry"

And by "steal" they mean sold more phones, right? Cos I can't see how you can "steal" BB's market position unless you actually sell more devices than they did.....

mlm1950

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site

I wouldn't say it was stealing, but that it was more that Blackberry gave it away, but the other way sounds better, I guess.

Either way, it is good news.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Windows Phone is now in position number three!

idc-q1-2013-smartphone-shipments.jpg

Some reactions by the media: Windows Phone now the third place smartphone ecosystem as BlackBerry sinks further - Neowin
Windows Phone steals third place from BlackBerry in IDC smartphone ranking
http://winsupersite.com/windows-phone/windows-phone-now-number-three

Here's how the IDC put it: “
Windows Phone claiming the third spot is a first and helps validate the direction taken by Microsoft and key partner Nokia,” said IDC research analyst Kevin Restivo. “Given the relatively low volume generated, the Windows Phone camp will need to show further gains to solidify its status as an alternative to Android or iOS.”

The question is, is this a result of Nokia doing well and continuing to grow, or because Blackberry was inactive for most of last year and their new OS sales most likely won't be included in these figures. I don't even think the Z10 was released in the US in Q1?

Last edited:

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site

Though I'm not a fan of Blackberry I would rather see them do well instead of Android and iOS.

Nice to see a lot of pro WP in the comments (though the pro WP comments get swarmed by a raging gaggle of fandroids).

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

Yeah I'd much rather see Blackberry do well and NOT die instead of the usual iOS and Android phones. Competition = choice = good for us consumers!

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Next quarter will be interesting since the 520/521 will be counted more and we have heard about how those have been selling like hotcakes. Also, the 928 should make a big splash too considering how many subscribers Verizon has.

9520G

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I think we will have a problem keeping third when the more affordable BB comes out, although WP has a lead start I think there are still more BB fans worlwide.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes