08-30-2013 11:53 AM
114 1234 ...
tools
    I'll likely be "into Windows phone" very soon. The reason I'm considering it is my horrid experience with Android. I won't detail it here, nobody likes a rant. I'm excited about a platform that's free from carrier bloat, or can be freed if necessary, doesn't seem to have lag problems, and has a stunning UI that comes default and won't slow my device down to a crawl!
    Laura Knotek and snowmutt like this.
    07-07-2013 09:53 PM
    OIS. + bored of iOS getting dated
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-07-2013 10:15 PM
    I was getting tired of Android, so I wanted to try something new (at least, for me). So far so good. Also, loved the way WPhones are made, i.e bright colors & designs. Saw the 8X on T-Mobile and felt in love. Then, I realized HTC made a red version, and yeah... I threw my money at their faces. Loving my Red 8X btw (;
    07-07-2013 10:34 PM
    The nonconformist in me didn't want to be on android any longer. And after trying one in a Verizon store I fell in love with the OS.
    07-07-2013 10:38 PM
    The advertisements, actually...

Seriously. It made go and take notice of the WP world.
    Laura Knotek, LeLee092 and Muessig like this.
    07-07-2013 10:42 PM
    I was getting bored of Android basically so I decided to try something fresh. I did not want to get an iPhone so I thought Windows Phone was a good option. I messed around with the 8X and pulled the trigger and got it for my birthday.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-07-2013 11:13 PM
    What got me into windows phones is the need to move from qwerty into fullscreen smartphone in early 2013.

I had BB 9300 but found that the touchscreen BB hardware at with $250-300 budget at the time was inferior to Nokia Windows Phone offering (e.g. RAM for apps, screen size & resolution).

I considered iPhone, but, the familiy Chief Financial Officer (a.k.a. "Wife") set the $300 treshold. I didn't consider Android at that time.

So, Lumia 620 for me. Happy user so far. And with a happy wife also.. (Still trying to convince her to convert from BB 9300..)
    07-07-2013 11:28 PM
    My old HP Veer died on me because of overclocking i think x). Saw WinPhone as the best next thing, and am glad i chose it over the rest.
    07-07-2013 11:36 PM
    I would like to say Nokia's reputation but the truth is product placement.

Am a big fan of Bones and I liked the look of Windows phone on it.
    07-08-2013 01:21 AM
    Microsoft, I've been MS fan for ever,tried iPhone, Android(iPhone 3G, many Android, last one being X10 I think) .... After WP7 announcement I was so happy and got HTC mozart ASAP. Then HD7, then Titan, then Lumia 900, now 920, waiting for 1020(or whatever the name is)
    Nokia been one of my all time favorite brands too, the day they announced they are going WP, was one of the best days ever.
    Been with WP sice the day one, still am, been so angry with MSFT lately, said many harsh thing about them, about leaving WP, but after testing GS4 and iphone5, OMG, my start screen on WP, makes me so happy, so I'm staying :D
    snowmutt and Laura Knotek like this.
    07-08-2013 02:18 AM
    Mainly Nokia. I've had a Nokia phone since 1998.
    Also I didn't want to get sucked into ios and I don't like android.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-08-2013 03:25 AM
    the N9 actually ;) but since Meego was dead I took L800 just for the design of the phone. How me and the OS have clicked was an unexpected bonus. Add the 920's camera and you have a prefect match!
    07-08-2013 03:53 AM
    The design of the OS appealed to me. It seemed very functional, fluid and simple. The features and bonus software (particularly Nokia maps) were just that bit extra to make me pull the trigger and give it a go. I also really like the design of the devices,and in my case, I got the Lumia 800.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-08-2013 04:47 AM
    I'd always used Windows Mobile devices and liked the functionality they offered but they were slow and lagged a lot. I switched to Android with the HTC Desire and later a Galaxy Nexus while waiting to see what MS were going to do and got an HD7 at launch. I was impressed enough to keep using it until I got my ATIV S. I updated the HD7 to 7.8 and my dad now uses it instead of his old dumbphone.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-08-2013 05:51 AM
    Several things, actually. It was something fresh. The UI was new. It was the discovery process. It was rooting for the underdog. It was seeing M$ make a comeback in the mobile space. It was rooting for the consumer to NOT be monopolized by one or two phone makers/ecosystems.
    07-08-2013 06:52 AM
    Several things, actually. It was something fresh. The UI was new. It was the discovery process. It was rooting for the underdog. It was seeing M$ make a comeback in the mobile space. It was rooting for the consumer to NOT be monopolized by one or two phone makers/ecosystems.
    likewise.
    07-08-2013 07:17 AM
    UI Design was the first thing second one was microsoft services
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-08-2013 08:02 AM
    Long time Media Center user, also use WHS. Saw the early reviews and it was beautiful and fluid, which my aging OG Droid was not. Ended up with the Trophy, just picked up a 928.

Very content with it.

edit: life long love affair with typography and graphic design didn't hurt either.
    HaibaneReki and Laura Knotek like this.
    07-08-2013 08:47 AM
    I saw the Lumia 521 as the perfect opportunity to give Windows Phone a try without spending a lot of money or being locked into a contract.

I've had it for a few weeks now, and believe it to be the best all around smartphone under $150.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-08-2013 09:48 AM
    It started way earlier when I didn't even know Microsoft made phones - one of my friends claimed they had a Samsung Focus, and I was like cool, Microsoft makes phones now? So I take a look and see Windows Phone, then I knew I found what I wanted.

Unfortunately, I was very impatient at that time, and Verizon didn't have any Windows Phone devices when I wanted one. So, I looked around on Verizon's site and saw the LG Fathom and it said "Windows Phone 6.5". I just thought to myself, "It says Windows Phone, and the difference between Windows Phone 6.5 and Windows Phone 7 is only 0.5..." I locked myself into a 2 year contract with that thing, ugh, resistive touchscreens suck. (There was such a lack of apps on Windows Mobile that I decided to make my own - made 3)

After my release from the painful contract, I saw the HTC Trophy was available. I obtained one, loved it SO much. By the time the Lumia 822 was out on Verizon, my contract ended again and I was free! So here I am, with this wonderful piece of technology, made by none other than Nokia and Microsoft.
    07-08-2013 09:59 AM
    They never released the first generation Lumia phones in my country due to Windows Phone 7 not supporting Arabic, thus, I never knew about them until the following happened. A Lumia 800 owner, from the UAE, in a graphic design course amazed me with how fluid WP7 was compared to my Galaxy W, that, to my amazement, had the same hardware specifications as the Lumia 800. I was convinced that my next phone should be a Lumia and, by the way, started following up with WPCentral. 8 Months later, I got my hands on my white Lumia 620. Then, I made two of my friends switch to Lumia, after which they, in turn, made their whole families switch too.
    HaibaneReki and Laura Knotek like this.
    07-08-2013 10:24 AM
    Been using iPhone since the 4 came out, was an avid fan but just got bored of it and it's UI. Also I realised that I was clogging my phone with crud I never used. At the time the nokia 900 and wp7 came out was super tempted to get it then but didn't as I was still happy with Apple's kit. Now my iphone 4 was over 2 and a bit years old, coming on to three and I couldn't face another boring iPhone. Android was too insecure for my tastes. So I went WP and got a Lumia 925. Absolutely loving it. Superb bit of kit.
    MerlinJnr and Laura Knotek like this.
    07-08-2013 10:32 AM
    Similar story to the above. Bored of iphone. I also have a tendency for style over substance, and WP8 certainly has style. And luckily for me enough substance fo me. Ios made me app angry. In the end i had about 5 i used. On WP, the 'me' and 'people' hubs are my current faves. The unity of information and organisation, the logic and simplicity. These are great qualities.
    07-08-2013 10:48 AM
    I have told my story a couple times. Basically, Wife had BlackBerry, I had a Palm Pre Plus, and she assigned me to figure out the best option. I did a ton of homework, played with as many phones as possible, and simply put WP won me over. The longer I read and researched and played around, the more I became convinced. I am pleased, and my wife was pleased which of course is the most important part.

I am still open minded about a future OS as we get closer to the end of our contract. But now, other OS's have to give me a reason to leave WP.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-08-2013 11:57 AM
    I would like to say Nokia's reputation but the truth is product placement.

Am a big fan of Bones and I liked the look of Windows phone on it.

No words on how amusing I found that!!
    07-08-2013 11:59 AM
114 1234 ...