The Nokia Acquisition (post comments and questions here)

rakesh1995

Banned
May 26, 2013
Visit site
Exactly.. I think Elop and MS should be investigated. I now believe that Elop is a insider for MS.

so i say Trojan elpo. He was sent to nokia by ms to bring nokia down to ground
And buy it at cheap. Elpo ia boe again a part of ms. Traffic jam Trojan

Sent from my Lumia 520 using Tapatalk

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Why are people dead set on calling Elop a Trojan? In my eyes he helped save Nokia. The effort Nokia put into WP is the reason I own a Nokia once more. He has brought someone back who left after a sour experience with them in the past (Nokia 5800). I would say he has done alright.

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
MS likely has clauses that give them the right of first refusal is HERE stuff goes on the market. Nokia is probably contractually obligated under this purchase agreement to offer to MS first. Only Apple would be viable as Google acquiring HERE would probably not be approved by regulators.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Eh no. Nokia was at 40% market share when Elop took over. After the window phone announcement, Nokia went into freefall.

Eh yes. They had market share because of a huge install base from existing customers who didn't buy new phones yet.

But their sales, especially in smartphones, were already going down the tubes.

thegamevg

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
Why are people dead set on calling Elop a Trojan? In my eyes he helped save Nokia. The effort Nokia put into WP is the reason I own a Nokia once more. He has brought someone back who left after a sour experience with them in the past (Nokia 5800). I would say he has done alright.

I agree.. The acquisition might well have been a long-term goal from the very start, but Nokia was losing the smartphone game until WP came into the picture...
Its all about ecosystems now, and it is going to turn out better for BOTH Nokia AND Microsoft !

BTW..My last phone was a Nokia 5800 as well .. :smile: 2 months strong with the Lumia 920 now...

poiman

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I don't know what to say yet. It's too early. Microsoft better have those 15% of market share by 2018, otherwise I'll get really angry!

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
important to note that license is extended to existing devices (and probably devices in the pipe) New stuff Microsoft needs to brand themselves and they can't use the name on any Smartphones.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The effort Nokia put into WP is the reason I own a Nokia once more.

When I got my first WP8 device a buddy of mine at work asked what phone I had purchased. "It's a Nokia Lumia 920, a brand new Windows Phone," I told him. He paused for a minute. "They still make phones?" he asked.

mmacleodbrown

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Mixed feelings about this
I think it was unavoidable, MS had no choice but to buy Nokia as they had become WP8 - what do you think would have happened if nokia had turned around and said that they were no longer going to support WP8 and were moving to Android (just for an example), MS would have been in real trouble with no HW manufacturer, so they had to do this.
The bad bit is that I feel Nokia actually pushed MS to get better about WP8, they were under pressure to sell more phones so used the partnership to improve the OS to sell more. I love the fact that I was always getting a constant stream of Nokia based updates for my phone and I felt that their exclusive apps added value to the OS and I can't see this continuing in the same way now that Nokia are part of MS, they will be absorbed into the MS culture and just run to the same tune as the rest of the company.
Nokia and MS made each other better as partners, as part of the same company they won't push each other in the same way and we will lose out.
MS had no choice but to make this deal, we will have to wait and see how it works for us..

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
it will work out. It brings a supreme amount of confidence to enterprise deployments who had to worry if signing on with Nokia would be worse than BBRY who we all know is going away. Microsoft making their own phones is going to put some much needed temperament to the whole BYOD fad that's been going on. At the end of the day it is big business accounts that sell phones and rack up sales. Now Microsoft can sell phones DIRECTLY to businesses who are then free to pick whatever carrier they want.

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
it will work out. It brings a supreme amount of confidence to enterprise deployments who had to worry if signing on with Nokia would be worse than BBRY who we all know is going away. Microsoft making their own phones is going to put some much needed temperament to the whole BYOD fad that's been going on. At the end of the day it is big business accounts that sell phones and rack up sales. Now Microsoft can sell phones DIRECTLY to businesses who are then free to pick whatever carrier they want.

This is not the enterprise world, I doubt if enterprises will pick up a phone that doesn't even support VPN after all this time.

The iPhone didn't get to its place by being the enterprise's #1 choice - it got there by being the people's choice. And people make the decisions at these companies as well. Even if all the big corporates do go WP, how much is that? 5-10 million, assuming of course that not all 2.1 million of Walmart's employees will get a phone...

Finally, you miss the biggest driver of BYOD - costs. Even with the varied platforms, any company will save money by just having their employees use their own devices (not considering instances where the company pays for the phone of the employee's choice, and that is anyway going to be 90% Apple or Android).

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
...not sure what you mean. They did license the Nokia brand.

They didn't, apparently. MS cannot brand any smartphones they manufacture with the Nokia name. They can for feature phones, but NOT for smartphones. I don't get it either. That's going to lose them a LOT of market share in countries like India where the Nokia name means a lot.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
This is not the enterprise world, I doubt if enterprises will pick up a phone that doesn't even support VPN after all this time.

The iPhone didn't get to its place by being the enterprise's #1 choice - it got there by being the people's choice. And people make the decisions at these companies as well. Even if all the big corporates do go WP, how much is that? 5-10 million, assuming of course that not all 2.1 million of Walmart's employees will get a phone...

Finally, you miss the biggest driver of BYOD - costs. Even with the varied platforms, any company will save money by just having their employees use their own devices (not considering instances where the company pays for the phone of the employee's choice, and that is anyway going to be 90% Apple or Android).

I don't think you are getting it. BYOD is largely a myth. It may have started out as bring your own device, but increasingly companies are paying for your device, and just letting you use it personally. To do this it is a cumbersome mess on Apple and a nightmare on Android. Most enterprises are Microsoft powered..that's a fact jack. Companies can sit there and gripe about Microsoft but they'd be up ***** creek without a paddle if they didn't have Exchange or Office. No phone integrates better with either than Windows Phone. Your VPN straw man is an old clich?, and just a ruse IT bigots use to bash Microsoft. I have never seen anyone need VPN on their phone. On a tablet or laptop yes. Email still comes through SSL ActiveSync, and can even tunnel through links to SharePoint. With O365 becoming a norm, Lync and other Office products work in the cloud.

mjperry51

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
This is the primary opportunity.

Smartphones for the mass market are almost saturated -- no significant growth opportunity. Real volume opportunity is in the enterprise; MS is much stronger than Google and Apple there.

Enterprise connectivity and interoperability will drive any growth in the smartphone segment, and MS is best positioned to leverage it.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I really don't understand people like you. I didn't know Nokia had their own iSheep.

Ask yourself what is in a brand name? Is there any chance the talent and creativity of the people behind the brand had anything to do with it? Well guess what? Those people still work in the exact same place. They aren't all going to vanish into thin air. They will continue to operate in the exact same way (except for taxes and those managing the payroll). It's still the same bunch of people and even the leadership team is staying exactly the same. If you liked what the designers and engineers did for you in the past, then there is no reason to dislike them now.

This is the part of the deal I was missing when I first heard about it. The creative team and the manufacturing arm stays with the mobile arm. Throw in how much the HERE services will improve with Nokia now totally committed to it and that most of the services designed for WP by Nokia (Music, City Lens) stays with the creative side of the purchase, and I am at ease for the next couple years. Not only that, take these creative forces, put them in CHARGE of WP for the next couple years, and this is a good deal. The only down side is losing the Nokia brand in the countries where Nokia is trusted. MS needs to keep the "Lumia XXX" for the purpose of keeping the name association, and they did indeed get the "Lumia" name.

In fact, why use "Microsoft" branding at all? Change ALL mobile devices branding to Lumia, even the "Surface" tablet line. Then the brand association isn't with MS, but with what Nokia established.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes