But what of HTC and Samsung?

mrdeeds_72

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
The news of Microsoft buying Nokia probably doesn't come as a surprise to most. Nokia and WP 8 are beginning to come on strong. Will this purchase effectively kill other OEMs licensing WP 8 going forward?

New devices besides an HTC One-like WP haven't even been rumored in the last few months. If they do tap out, I think this will have a long term chilling effect on the speed of innovation. MS and Nokia need to be pushed by licensers of the WP platform imo.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
It won't kill it. But it certainly won't help. But I suppose it's not a huge loss since neither HTC or Samsung really cared about WP in the first place.

Doohickie

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft has a long history of other manufacturers using their software and OS. I don't see that this is much different.

mrdeeds_72

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
It won't kill it. But it certainly won't help. But I suppose it's not a huge loss since neither HTC or Samsung really cared about WP in the first place.

My concern is that Microsoft has historically dropped the ball on hardware endeavours. I think the 'Nokia division' needs to be kept on it's toes by direct competition. They've been going gangbusters so I don't want the momentum to end.

mrdeeds_72

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
There is even less incentive now for HTC et al to make compelling device for Windows Phone with Nokia now in the Microsoft fold. Nokia was partially driven by constantly being close to death. Hopefully the incentive will still be there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
otispit