Prediction sure to go wrong: Where I see WP headed in this brave new world...

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
The first iPhone didn't have cut and paste or MMS. Pinch to zoom didn't come to Android until Eclair. These two OSes have taken seven years to get to where they are but WP8 has to do it in two. What does it say about the company if they have to do another reboot to appease the naysayers? WP is a viable alternative that is starting to gain traction in the market place. It didn't help to have the Nokia acquisition without other OEMs in place to keep the chains moving. The casual observer just saw no new devices released and figured MS was on the ropes and taking a standing eight count.

Change for the sake of change is not a recipe for success.
Sent from a Fire Engine Red Lumia 1520 via Tapatalk

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft's issues just became a bunch worse with the last Apple event. Even though many in the Windows Phone camp have said "Apple Watch is Ugly" ( or any number of other good buzz words), it really does not matter what we think of any new device Apple puts forth. As a rule we are not Apple's target Market.

However I am going to bet this is going to cut into Windows Phone sales come 2015. As die hard a Windows Phone Fan/User as I am, and as a Die Hard Apple Hater, the Apple Watch really caught me out !!!!!! This is my weak spot and a desire of mine since The Microsoft Spot Watch.

So if apple can turn my attention, how many others of us out there looked and felt weak in the knees???? I'm just brave/stupid enough to admit apple cast the line in the water and I bit, however apple has yet to set the hook.

Microsoft has a limited time to respond to this before the door closes for some.

Microsoft is still feeling the push back from buyers who had their wells poisoned with the whole switch from WP7 to WP8. Just the other day I bumped into a Lady I had not seen for some time, (we became friendly after we both saw we had matching HTC Radars), she now sports an iPhone 5 because her sister told her apple lets older phones get the new software. She told me she was heart broken to leave but was not happy she was not getting Windows Phone 8.

She is not what most refer to as a Tech person, and does not understand what the Kernel switch was all about.....all she knew is her sisters phone has had 2 major updates and hers didn't.

It's the mind set of the huddled masses Microsoft has to reach, that is 90% of the population who see free software upgrades by apple as a good thing, and then can't understand what all the fuss over Microsoft is, as there only question is "Why do I have to buy another phone for the new software?"

Microsoft as a whole also has to deal with the PR nightmare that was Vista and Windows 8, both were a huge first uproar that left the average Joe in the street confused about Microsoft.

This is what Microsoft has to deal with now, and also address the apple watch. As wearable gear is the "NEW", "HIP", "IN" thing.

They need to circle the wagons now and mount a good defense or what share they have will just fall away.

Moto 360 and Apple watch are the first steps in the wearable Market, that focus on being a companion to a phone.

Microsoft really needs to start punching above their weight limit on this area or honestly what reason will there be to have a Windows Phone??????
Third party Smart Watches with Windows Phone is a joke at best !!!!!!! Weather or not there are API issues..99% of 3rd party watches were developed for only iPhone/Google and WP as an after thought.

Cortana is a very good starting place, and the fact they are looking to add it to mobile, PC, Xbox should play well if they can move it to a Watch that leans on a Windows Phone as a companion.

We don't need fancy jewels and sparkles of the Galaxy Gear, what we need is a well paired device that hints it's style from our phones.

The spark is there to build a fire, but will Microsoft be smart enough to softly blow the spark into a flame or will they follow what they seem to have done is wait till the spark is almost gone and then try to push the flame to life.

Catch up to the others is not an option for right now ( Notification Center in WP...good but the 4th or 5th to add).

I want Microsoft to grow in the mobile market, I just honestly hope they can really start tossing out some good interesting and buzz generating products !!!!!

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
^^ You make some very valid points but I don't believe that MS should be honing in on the wearable segment. Smart watches are complementary pieces and WP isn't complete enough to make a serious dent in this area yet. Android and iOS are mature systems that are ready for the next phase. That's not to say we won't see a good effort from Redmond sometime next year but I think it's premature at this point.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
^^ You make some very valid points but I don't believe that MS should be honing in on the wearable segment. Smart watches are complementary pieces and WP isn't complete enough to make a serious dent in this area yet. Android and iOS are mature systems that are ready for the next phase. That's not to say we won't see a good effort from Redmond sometime next year but I think it's premature at this point.

As I said they have a Limited Amount of time here to spark the interest of users. I in no way mean to imply they should race to launch....but they have to take the wraps off any plans they have.

Apple put their show on, and only said starting to roll out 2015. A very smart tactic on their part.....as they will now release a few dozen pre production models to people who can get them press and start to generate buzz.
Most notably Stephen Fry will be one to shout from the mountain tops of the virtues of the Apple watch , when he gets his Beta version. Just check his twitter feed from his time at the event.

Microsoft has to answer back, if they don't have an answer to Apple Watch they may as well just sit back and watch Windows Phone follow BB path...slow exit out of the mobile field and into a services direction.

Joe Belfiore's emo hair and cute kids pictures is not enough to keep Windows Phone alive. Yes Microsoft can funnel in huge amounts of cash to keep the life support on, but in the long run investors will not stand for 3 major money holes in a ship ( Xbox and Bing).

Trust me when I say I could not stand anything Apple, but the watch really got to me.....however I still have a "Strange Man in a Van with Candy" feel....but man, the Candy looks so yummy !!!!!!!

I will freely admit I am looking at an apple device now and thinking I could go over.....I don't want to....but I will go with what my heart desires and that is a Smart Watch. Something that works as a companion to a phone.

If they stall or delay an introduction of a Smart Watch now, you may as well just kill it, cause it will not fly later. Again what good is my Windows Phone to me if I don't have my desired companion watch. Something I could get with Google or Apple........

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
As I said they have a Limited Amount of time here to spark the interest of users. I in no way mean to imply they should race to launch....but they have to take the wraps off any plans they have.

Apple put their show on, and only said starting to roll out 2015. A very smart tactic on their part.....as they will now release a few dozen pre production models to people who can get them press and start to generate buzz.
Most notably Stephen Fry will be one to shout from the mountain tops of the virtues of the Apple watch , when he gets his Beta version. Just check his twitter feed from his time at the event.

Microsoft has to answer back, if they don't have an answer to Apple Watch they may as well just sit back and watch Windows Phone follow BB path...slow exit out of the mobile field and into a services direction.

Joe Belfiore's emo hair and cute kids pictures is not enough to keep Windows Phone alive. Yes Microsoft can funnel in huge amounts of cash to keep the life support on, but in the long run investors will not stand for 3 major money holes in a ship ( Xbox and Bing).

Trust me when I say I could not stand anything Apple, but the watch really got to me.....however I still have a "Strange Man in a Van with Candy" feel....but man, the Candy looks so yummy !!!!!!!

I will freely admit I am looking at an apple device now and thinking I could go over.....I don't want to....but I will go with what my heart desires and that is a Smart Watch. Something that works as a companion to a phone.

If they stall or delay an introduction of a Smart Watch now, you may as well just kill it, cause it will not fly later. Again what good is my Windows Phone to me if I don't have my desired companion watch. Something I could get with Google or Apple........

I agree with you, I just don't want to see another half-assed product rushed to market.

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
A lot of people brought up good points. Microsoft has a compelling mobile OS. But they give little reason for their own supporters to want to hang in there. Especially when every announcement from Nokia/Microsoft is literally "No idea when, where or how much" meanwhile everyone else manages to at least on their flagship/hero devices bring to everyone and announce when and how much. I am sure the 930 will come out to AT&T just in time for them to announce the 935 making everyone wait to see when that will come out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria