11-16-2013 01:34 PM
73 123
tools
    Cortana was announced a few weeks ago and it looks like Cortana is going to be one of the main feature of every MS products. The fact that Cortana is connected to your MS account makes it better than Siri. Siri learns about you, but it won't follow you across your devices, so what it learns on the iPhone stays on your iPhone.

Do you have high expectations for Cortana? Can it compete with Siri or perhaps crush it?

I believe Cortana will deliver. I always thought MS was more creative than Apple, but lacked execution. I think they can make it right.
    Usman Mubashir likes this.
    09-29-2013 05:20 PM
    I feel like siri and google now have much potential but are really pointless at the moment. I'm hoping MS really makes this killer! I hope it's great but I expect it to underwhelm just like siri and google now underwhelms me. Not saying they're useless, just that they don't serve me any good
    Simon Tupper likes this.
    09-29-2013 05:32 PM
    I feel like siri and google now have much potential but are really pointless at the moment. I'm hoping MS really makes this killer! I hope it's great but I expect it to underwhelm just like siri and google now underwhelms me. Not saying they're useless, just that they don't serve me any good
    I know. Siri was disappointing for me. I haven't played around enough with google now to know if its good or not.

To me Siri felt like an unfinished product. You have to do things the Siri-way. It doesn't really adapts to you. The AI is not good enough just yet, but I believe Microsoft can make it better and smarter.
    09-29-2013 05:43 PM
    I read an article the other week suggesting that ultimately Google will be more worried about Microsoft than Apple with regards mobile. The reasoning being that Microsoft have the ecosystem in place already with devices and services that Apple's environment doesn't have yet (Search etc).

Now if Microsoft can just connect the dots, starting with Cortana, that would make things very interesting.
    Simon Tupper and JohnStrk like this.
    09-29-2013 07:14 PM
    I don't see Apple leading the pack for very long... They are uninspired
    09-29-2013 07:22 PM
    I read an article the other week suggesting that ultimately Google will be more worried about Microsoft than Apple with regards mobile. The reasoning being that Microsoft have the ecosystem in place already with devices and services that Apple's environment doesn't have yet (Search etc).

Now if Microsoft can just connect the dots, starting with Cortana, that would make things very interesting.
    Here's hoping Microsoft do realise the potential and really hammer it down.
    Simon Tupper likes this.
    09-30-2013 04:53 AM
    Cortana was announced a few weeks ago and it looks like Cortana is going to be one of the main feature of every MS products. The fact that Cortana is connected to your MS account makes it better than Siri. Siri learns about you, but it won't follow you across your devices, so what it learns on the iPhone stays on your iPhone.

Do you have high expectations for Cortana? Can it compete with Siri or perhaps crush it?

I believe Cortana will deliver. I always thought MS was more creative than Apple, but lacked execution. I think they can make it right.
    I think its going to crush the competition - MS said they didn't want to release an evolution - they wanted a revolution.

Vive la revolution!!
    09-30-2013 05:40 AM
    It would be more productive to expound on the not yet released product than to compare it to currently working and mature executions of similar products.

What does it plan to do ?
    How will it do it?
    When does an api become available, etc ?

Comparing it to siri or now+ is not possible
    california86 likes this.
    09-30-2013 05:42 AM
    It would be more productive to expound on the not yet released product than to compare it to currently working and mature executions of similar products.

What does it plan to do ?
    How will it do it?
    When does an api become available, etc ?

Comparing it to siri or now+ is not possible
    I think we can still speculate and maybe Cortana can be revolutionary.
    09-30-2013 04:06 PM
    Innovation Reinvented ..
    rdubmu and Mahdi Ghiasi like this.
    09-30-2013 04:27 PM
    I would like Cortana to be able to handle conversations and not just voice commands. It is not revolutionary if its not smart.
    anon(6101439) likes this.
    09-30-2013 05:55 PM
    I would like Cortana to be able to handle conversations and not just voice commands. It is not revolutionary if its not smart.
    How do you mean handle conversation? Like if you ask Cortana a question like:
    "Show me where I can get a good buffet." And it respond with,
    "here is a list but based on your health history, here is a list of more heart healthy choices" or do you mean something else?
    Simon Tupper likes this.
    09-30-2013 08:19 PM
    How do you mean handle conversation? Like if you ask Cortana a question like:
    "Show me where I can get a good buffet." And it respond with,
    "here is a list but based on your health history, here is a list of more heart healthy choices" or do you mean something else?
    I want an AI that can understand complex questions and reply cleverly. Not just the regular "Where is Paris? Will I need my umbrella in Montral? Where can I get a good cup of coffe?"

Something smarter, like "Did the Montreal Canadiens played well tonight?" + "answers with stats and related links"
    OR
    "If Master chief had to fight Peter Griffin, who would win?" + "Answer that is not 'Please can you rephrase?'"
    09-30-2013 09:06 PM
    Now this is impressive. Nice job MS. Apparently Microsoft is considering the name Cortana as the final product because of the very positive feedback from people :D

Microsoft News | Microsoft’s Upcoming Cortana Personal Assistant Will Integrate With Your Home Automation System
    Simon Tupper likes this.
    09-30-2013 09:08 PM
    Now this is impressive. Nice job MS. Apparently Microsoft is considering the name Cortana as the final product because of the very positive feedback from people :D

Microsoft News | Microsoft’s Upcoming Cortana Personal Assistant Will Integrate With Your Home Automation System
    People refer to it as Cortana now, so it will probably be the official name. I think a lot of people will be disappointed if they drop the name for something else.
    09-30-2013 09:17 PM
    I want an AI that can understand complex questions and reply cleverly. Not just the regular "Where is Paris? Will I need my umbrella in Montral? Where can I get a good cup of coffe?"

Something smarter, like "Did the Montreal Canadiens played well tonight?" + "answers with stats and related links"
    OR
    "If Master chief had to fight Peter Griffin, who would win?" + "Answer that is not 'Please can you rephrase?'"
    I feel ya. That is kind of been there, done that. I hope what you're talking about is what MS has in mind. They are building a big infrastructure and it might need it for this level of artificial intelligence.
    09-30-2013 10:23 PM
    If its close to Jarvis the AI from iron man i will be happy. Just with Cortana's voice. What i mean is if i feed it my schedule i can be woken up in the morning with the following. "Good morning, there is currently a good service on your train route, looking at the weather i would suggest taking an umbrella or a raincoat. Ive taken the liberty of activating the home computer to allow you remote access for your 10am meeting. Will there be anything else i can help you with this morning?" Would be great to have the option to add changes of route or add extra information for the days activities. Cortana needs to be more of an interactive butler than just an occasional assistant.

Sent from my shiny new Nokia 1020
    Last edited by martinmc78; 10-01-2013 at 02:24 AM.
    10-01-2013 01:54 AM
    If its close to Jarvis the AI from iron man i will be happy. Just with Cortana's voice. What i mean is if i feed it my schedule i can be woken up in the morning with the following. "Good morning, there is currently a good service on your train route, looking at the weather i would suggest taking an umbrella or a raincoat. Ive taken the liberty of activating the home computer to allow you remote access for your 10am meeting. Will there be anything else i can help you with this morning?" Would be great to have the option to add changes of route or add extra information for the days activities. Cortana needs to be more of an interactive butler than just an occasional assistant.

Sent from my shiny new Nokia 1020
    I don't know about that butler thing haha, I don't want to be babysat by an AI. But being woken up with with the weather/news/appointements and a "good morning" would be nice. I a have a tendency to forget pretty much everything so having Cortana reminding me of my appointments without me having to tell her to wake me up early that particular morning would be pretty nice.

The potential is there. It is now Microsoft's job to reach our expectations.
    10-01-2013 04:15 AM
    And half of the plans get watered down when we talk about the non-native english speaking market which is probably most of WPs market. I don't have my appointments in english, having it try to pronounce finnish would just be silly :P
    10-01-2013 04:23 AM
    I don't know about that butler thing haha, I don't want to be babysat by an AI. But being woken up with with the weather/news/appointements and a "good morning" would be nice. I a have a tendency to forget pretty much everything so having Cortana reminding me of my appointments without me having to tell her to wake me up early that particular morning would be pretty nice.

The potential is there. It is now Microsoft's job to reach our expectations.
    Its technically possible - there was a rumour that they would implement cortana across all devices - maybe that's the revolution they were hinting at? An AI that's linked to all your Microsoft devices. Wouldn't call it babysitting if it makes life more efficient and productive. Other things I would like to see would be things like Xbox one games on release day. Cortana should be able to pop up on your phone and say "Halo 5 is now available in the store, would you like me to download the game for play later? Would be good to see John again"
    10-01-2013 04:30 AM
    And half of the plans get watered down when we talk about the non-native english speaking market which is probably most of WPs market. I don't have my appointments in english, having it try to pronounce finnish would just be silly :P
    As a French Canadian I hear you on that one. I sometimes have to repeat a command two or three times to make sure the AI understood the right command. I think it's a lot better than a few years ago when there was no way for ANY voice assistant to understand my accent. It should get better with time.
    nohra likes this.
    10-01-2013 04:45 AM
    There's a search button on my WP8 and a search charm across Windows 8, so I'm all for actually using them. One thing I want is a de-emphasis on voice. Let me choose to type to it by default and I'm in.
    10-01-2013 05:54 AM
    It hopefully will be, so long as they keep the name cortana and don't name it (as some other user on another thread said) "Microsoft virtual navigator assistant 8.1" or something lol...

I'll tell you what would be really cool is if they integrated it into ms office products, like star trek TNG kind of stuff, like where in excel, for example you could say "take this data set and give me the standard deviation" and it would do it at say what it got. I think something like this is a little off into the future but one can hope...
    10-01-2013 07:48 AM
    i just want to be able to accurately do the things i wanna do. TellMe is a quite lacking in regards to commands. For example, Cortana set reminder for the Boston Red Sox game, the New York Yankees game, and the Tampa Bay Rays game, and keep me updated with scores.

or maybe; keep me updated with weather conditions to prepare as needed for the week.

keep me posted about new game releases based on recommendations from information gathered from my gamerscore.

give me bus and train schedules to work every morning.

locations to all the nearest cafes for morning coffee.

and i think app interaction would be cool, for example Cortana notify me when there are new posts on wpcentral.

movie tickets and time available if it hears me talking about a particular movie. i think information gathering on cortana and integration into your home is the way to go.
    nohra likes this.
    10-01-2013 09:05 AM
    There is so much potential for speech command, MS can leap if they get it right, and allow it to integrate into non-MS apps. I really want to be able to tell HERE apps to find a particular place and then once it finds it, just tell it to direct me there via HERE Drive. That's the biggest one for me, because I really want to use HERE, Urbanspoon, Yelp type apps while i'm driving, but there's just limited voice commands at this point. Not much beyond "Open Here Drive" right now...

Nokia's conquering cameras, now it's time to conquer voice command.
    WinFan1 and 12Danny123 like this.
    10-01-2013 09:13 AM
73 123