Cortana slowly starting to look like a killer feature.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Cortana was announced a few weeks ago and it looks like Cortana is going to be one of the main feature of every MS products. The fact that Cortana is connected to your MS account makes it better than Siri. Siri learns about you, but it won't follow you across your devices, so what it learns on the iPhone stays on your iPhone.

Do you have high expectations for Cortana? Can it compete with Siri or perhaps crush it?

I believe Cortana will deliver. I always thought MS was more creative than Apple, but lacked execution. I think they can make it right.

raccoon210

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I feel like siri and google now have much potential but are really pointless at the moment. I'm hoping MS really makes this killer! I hope it's great but I expect it to underwhelm just like siri and google now underwhelms me. Not saying they're useless, just that they don't serve me any good

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I feel like siri and google now have much potential but are really pointless at the moment. I'm hoping MS really makes this killer! I hope it's great but I expect it to underwhelm just like siri and google now underwhelms me. Not saying they're useless, just that they don't serve me any good

I know. Siri was disappointing for me. I haven't played around enough with google now to know if its good or not.

To me Siri felt like an unfinished product. You have to do things the Siri-way. It doesn't really adapts to you. The AI is not good enough just yet, but I believe Microsoft can make it better and smarter.

Jupast

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I read an article the other week suggesting that ultimately Google will be more worried about Microsoft than Apple with regards mobile. The reasoning being that Microsoft have the ecosystem in place already with devices and services that Apple's environment doesn't have yet (Search etc).

Now if Microsoft can just connect the dots, starting with Cortana, that would make things very interesting.

tim bowman

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
I read an article the other week suggesting that ultimately Google will be more worried about Microsoft than Apple with regards mobile. The reasoning being that Microsoft have the ecosystem in place already with devices and services that Apple's environment doesn't have yet (Search etc).

Now if Microsoft can just connect the dots, starting with Cortana, that would make things very interesting.

Here's hoping Microsoft do realise the potential and really hammer it down.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Cortana was announced a few weeks ago and it looks like Cortana is going to be one of the main feature of every MS products. The fact that Cortana is connected to your MS account makes it better than Siri. Siri learns about you, but it won't follow you across your devices, so what it learns on the iPhone stays on your iPhone.

Do you have high expectations for Cortana? Can it compete with Siri or perhaps crush it?

I believe Cortana will deliver. I always thought MS was more creative than Apple, but lacked execution. I think they can make it right.

I think its going to crush the competition - MS said they didn't want to release an evolution - they wanted a revolution.

Vive la revolution!!

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
It would be more productive to expound on the not yet released product than to compare it to currently working and mature executions of similar products.

What does it plan to do ?
How will it do it?
When does an api become available, etc ?

Comparing it to siri or now+ is not possible

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
It would be more productive to expound on the not yet released product than to compare it to currently working and mature executions of similar products.

What does it plan to do ?
How will it do it?
When does an api become available, etc ?

Comparing it to siri or now+ is not possible

I think we can still speculate and maybe Cortana can be revolutionary.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I would like Cortana to be able to handle conversations and not just voice commands. It is not revolutionary if its not smart.

How do you mean handle conversation? Like if you ask Cortana a question like:
"Show me where I can get a good buffet." And it respond with,
"here is a list but based on your health history, here is a list of more heart healthy choices" or do you mean something else?

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
How do you mean handle conversation? Like if you ask Cortana a question like:
"Show me where I can get a good buffet." And it respond with,
"here is a list but based on your health history, here is a list of more heart healthy choices" or do you mean something else?

I want an AI that can understand complex questions and reply cleverly. Not just the regular "Where is Paris? Will I need my umbrella in Montr?al? Where can I get a good cup of coffe?"

Something smarter, like "Did the Montreal Canadiens played well tonight?" + "answers with stats and related links"
OR
"If Master chief had to fight Peter Griffin, who would win?" + "Answer that is not 'Please can you rephrase?'"

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I want an AI that can understand complex questions and reply cleverly. Not just the regular "Where is Paris? Will I need my umbrella in Montr?al? Where can I get a good cup of coffe?"

Something smarter, like "Did the Montreal Canadiens played well tonight?" + "answers with stats and related links"
OR
"If Master chief had to fight Peter Griffin, who would win?" + "Answer that is not 'Please can you rephrase?'"

I feel ya. That is kind of been there, done that. I hope what you're talking about is what MS has in mind. They are building a big infrastructure and it might need it for this level of artificial intelligence.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
If its close to Jarvis the AI from iron man i will be happy. Just with Cortana's voice. What i mean is if i feed it my schedule i can be woken up in the morning with the following. "Good morning, there is currently a good service on your train route, looking at the weather i would suggest taking an umbrella or a raincoat. Ive taken the liberty of activating the home computer to allow you remote access for your 10am meeting. Will there be anything else i can help you with this morning?" Would be great to have the option to add changes of route or add extra information for the days activities. Cortana needs to be more of an interactive butler than just an occasional assistant.

Sent from my shiny new Nokia 1020

Last edited:

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
If its close to Jarvis the AI from iron man i will be happy. Just with Cortana's voice. What i mean is if i feed it my schedule i can be woken up in the morning with the following. "Good morning, there is currently a good service on your train route, looking at the weather i would suggest taking an umbrella or a raincoat. Ive taken the liberty of activating the home computer to allow you remote access for your 10am meeting. Will there be anything else i can help you with this morning?" Would be great to have the option to add changes of route or add extra information for the days activities. Cortana needs to be more of an interactive butler than just an occasional assistant.

Sent from my shiny new Nokia 1020

I don't know about that butler thing haha, I don't want to be babysat by an AI. But being woken up with with the weather/news/appointements and a "good morning" would be nice. I a have a tendency to forget pretty much everything so having Cortana reminding me of my appointments without me having to tell her to wake me up early that particular morning would be pretty nice.

The potential is there. It is now Microsoft's job to reach our expectations.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
And half of the plans get watered down when we talk about the non-native english speaking market which is probably most of WPs market. I don't have my appointments in english, having it try to pronounce finnish would just be silly :p

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I don't know about that butler thing haha, I don't want to be babysat by an AI. But being woken up with with the weather/news/appointements and a "good morning" would be nice. I a have a tendency to forget pretty much everything so having Cortana reminding me of my appointments without me having to tell her to wake me up early that particular morning would be pretty nice.

The potential is there. It is now Microsoft's job to reach our expectations.

Its technically possible - there was a rumour that they would implement cortana across all devices - maybe that's the revolution they were hinting at? An AI that's linked to all your Microsoft devices. Wouldn't call it babysitting if it makes life more efficient and productive. Other things I would like to see would be things like Xbox one games on release day. Cortana should be able to pop up on your phone and say "Halo 5 is now available in the store, would you like me to download the game for play later? Would be good to see John again"

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99