Switching Eco systems

ruronirican

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
This is one of the major problems with the Windows eco system... Most people are invested in one way or another into either Apple or Goggle and when you switch to Windows you need to start from scratch. Similar when a new media format comes out... At least you can still watch/listen to your old media with new devices... At MWC Mr. Joe Belafiore was asked about this and he just dodge the question...

This is something they need to address and give incentives for..

I know many people that have $1000s invested and will not make the switch because of it.

Here is Mr. Belafiore response (paraphrased from Anand)

Answer from Joe (paraphrased): Our common experience on multiple platforms should help users decided that there is a common interface and user experience across many devices: tablets, smartphones, PCs and consoles. While user investment in apps and a device is important, the Windows ecosystem is designed to tackle all segments and is always improving, such that an update at one end of the system can filter down to everything else.

07:54AM EST - Question from Ian: A lot of individuals are invested into the iPhone and Android ecosystems including money in apps and so forth. What are Microsoft doing to draw people over?

Any thoughts?

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
True. But the same can be said if you're leaving Microsoft's ecosystem and going to either Apple's or Google's. Wouldn't you have to start from scratch there too?

ruronirican

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
True statement but android and ios aren't having issue getting to buy into the eco system as opposed to MS... Not saying that thier service is inferior but it is more expensive without the user base or extras from the physical media release

sym1a1a

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure i'm following the jist of the OP's complaint, the only aspect of of eco systems that typically cant be transferred are movies/videos and apps, music typically can be moved across platforms, this is not a WP phone issue but rather an industry issue, for example, I have purchased music from both amazon and itunes, and can transfer them to my WP. however apps and movies are tied to the respective platforms they were purchased on, not so sure you can claim Belafiore was ducking the issue or claim this is a WP exclusive issue

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I understand what you're saying, but I see people switch all the time. People that used the iPhone for several phones recently buying Android phones, or vice versa. Yes, I'm sure there are some people that feel too locked into one platform to switch, but I think the people who use the phones the most, and purchase the most apps, still seem to be the people most willing to switch and try something new.

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure i'm following the jist of the OP's complaint, the only aspect of of eco systems that typically cant be transferred are movies/videos and apps, music typically can be moved across platforms, this is not a WP phone issue but rather an industry issue, for example, I have purchased music from both amazon and itunes, and can transfer them to my WP. however apps and movies are tied to the respective platforms they were purchased on, not so sure you can claim Belafiore was ducking the issue or claim this is a WP exclusive issue

I believe what the OP is saying is, if he bought an app on Android for $1000 and switched to WP he would have to buy that app again for $1000 instead of getting some incentive or reimbursement

sym1a1a

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I believe what the OP is saying is, if he bought an app on Android for $1000 and switched to WP he would have to buy that app again for $1000 instead of getting some incentive or reimbursement

I understand that point, but that's true with any platform switch, not just WP, it sounded like the OP was saying this was a WP issue and that Joe Belafiore was dodging the question about an alleged WP deficiency, as far as giving people incentives to switch, WP routinely gives out $25-$50 credits for new buyers to use in the market place

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
I understand that point, but that's true with any platform switch, not just WP, it sounded like the OP was saying this was a WP issue and that Joe Belafiore was dodging the question about an alleged WP deficiency, as far as giving people incentives to switch, WP routinely gives out $25-$50 credits for new buyers to use in the market place

I believe this is what the OP was trying to say.

I do not agree WP is too blame. Just as my example above I had given about PS4 and Xbox One.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes