IDC predicts Windows Phone sales to hit 120 million by 2018

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Not too shabby. With that kind of install base, the app gap should pretty much be gone.

I'd be interested to know how many of those Androids are AOSP vs. GMS.

ujetujyn

Last edited:

abel920

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
1.32B for Android. Whoa... but then again, Microsoft makes more money on Android than Google does, so this could be a good thing too. If we look at it that way.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Yup. Install base is more important than market share.

​Though more market share would be nice.

I agree with both lines. The projected install base in 2018 is still only 7% market share though, which means growth remains at roughly 1%/year.

Market share does have value in some cases. A small developer with limited resources will still start with and prioritize the higher market share platforms.

neyaldrich

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
7% by 2018? Aw man. Im sure if wp were not carrier exclusive they would sell more in the us. And if they advertised heavily in developing coubtries they would get the numbers from here even if the profits are low but it would be a bet in the long run.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Hmm BlackBerry can bounce back with Z3 Jakarta in developing countries.hmm don't ignore them that easily

Sent from my iris458Q using WPCentral Forums mobile app

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm sorry but 7% in 4 years and we are at like 4 or 5 now just sounds bad....
All the more reason I doubt this Nokia project will help anything.

Ummm... Ok.

Forget the revenue generated by the increasing install base size and the overall growing market.

MS's share of the pie is slowly growing. However, the size of the actual pie is growing too.

You've been so doom and gloom, and normally it's bases on quick conclusions based on strategy that you haven't really sat down and analyzed.

Things aren't as bad as you think they are.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I just do not buyinto mobile projections this far out. Ever. In 2010, there those projecting WP would be at 10% sales by now. Who is coming back to this in four years to see it is right or not?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon