Windows is expected to secure 10% tablet market share for 2015, 18% in 2019

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
This could be very good for W10M.

Windows is expected to secure 10 percent tablet market share for 2015, 18 percent in 2019 | Pocketnow
By Adrian Diaconescu | November 24, 2015 5:16 AM

If you think there?s absolutely no way Microsoft will be able to escape single-digit space in the smartphone OS ranks anytime soon, Redmond?s slow but steady tablet growth might make you reconsider.

Just three years ago, Windows was a mere blip on iOS and Android?s radars as far as large-screen gadgets were concerned too, with less than two percent of global sales, compared to over 55 percent for iPads, and 40+ for Galaxy Tabs, Motorola Xooms, early Nexuses, and the first-gen Kindle Fire.

But then Surfaces surged from awkward experimental products to actual laptop replacements, and Asus, Acer and Lenovo also joined the 2-in-1 movement, including with low-cost 10 and 11-inchers. And all of a sudden, market analysts say Microsoft and its partner OEMs ?finally got tablets right?, aiming for a grand total of 22 million shipments in 2015, and a cool 10 percent slice of the shrinking but still delicious pie.

The year?s first nine months have reportedly seen Windows tablet popularity grow by an impressive 58 percent, and Strategy Analytics predicts a further 120 percent increase within four years or so. That means worldwide sales could reach close to 50 million units in 2019, only narrowly behind iPads, but nonetheless eclipsed by Androids.

Tablet-market-share.jpg

On the other hand, it?s Google?s very platform that?s projected to lose steam to MS and friendly manufacturers, with the current dominant market share of 68 percent possibly dropping to 59 in the not-so-distant future. Apple should retain a little over 20 percent of the ?ecosystem?, while Windows will climb from 10 to 18 percentage points if the forecast pans out. That?s clearly a big if, though the trends seem hard to contest. Android is down, Windows is up.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I hope Windows OEMs produce more quality, low-priced, 8-inch Windows tablets. Pickings are slim and expensive. And by quality, I mean something better than a bottom of the barrel Atom processor with a 1280x800 resolution.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I hope Windows OEMs produce more quality, low-priced, 8-inch Windows tablets. Pickings are slim and expensive. And by quality, I mean something better than a bottom of the barrel Atom processor with a 1280x800 resolution.
Yes. What I find as the real crutch are lack of accessories. I spent an two hours just looking for a rugged tablet case for a potential buy for my son. Not only did I not find one, but I could only find decent cases for a handful of 8" and 10" tablets. It was pretty sad that my buy (a refurbished tablet at that) was 100% influenced by cases available for it.

The Xiomi Mi Pad looks to be a step in the right direction.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
That does look like a decent upgrade from previous 8-inch tablets. Sad that it will likely never make it to the U.S. And even if it did, it'll probably be an extra $100. (which still isn't that bad)

CygnusOrion

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
Learn to ignore these industry projections. Remember Windows Phone was supposed to be 10% global market share by now? I do not believe these #s on Windows tablets, I have not seen a single one in the wild but have seen plenty of iPads and Androids.

CygnusOrion

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
Yes. What I find as the real crutch are lack of accessories. I spent an two hours just looking for a rugged tablet case for a potential buy for my son. Not only did I not find one, but I could only find decent cases for a handful of 8" and 10" tablets. It was pretty sad that my buy (a refurbished tablet at that) was 100% influenced by cases available for it.

The Xiomi Mi Pad looks to be a step in the right direction.

Xiaomi products are never coming to North America due to massive IP violations and they know it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)