03-29-2014 06:25 PM
68 123
tools
    Huh? He's just passionate about his products and thinks others are as well.
    Minor point, but given that he was announcing the launch of Office for iPad, I assume he was referring to an Apple product, not to one of his own. Whatever, it made him sound like an emotionally stunted, ageing, middle ranking regional salesman.
    lippidp likes this.
    03-28-2014 10:25 AM
    Minor point, but given that he was announcing the launch of Office for iPad, I assume he was referring to an Apple product, not to one of his own. Whatever, it made him sound like an emotionally stunted, ageing, middle ranking regional salesman.
    I thought he was talking about Office. *shrugs*
    03-28-2014 10:27 AM
    I thought he was talking about Office. *shrugs*
    If you go back to my original post, you will see that the quote in question is: "It is to make sure that the one billion Office users have access to the high fidelity Office experience on every device they love to use." So the 'love' he appartently thinks Office users have is for a device, presumably in this case an iPad.
    We could also discuss the appalling corporate marketing speak that is "Office experience". I suppose technically using Microsoft Office is an 'experience', just as cleaning your bathroom or buying some socks is an 'experience'. However, I'd prefer that the word is reserved for something less mundane than using a word processor (and I don't mean that to be any criticism of Office).
    03-28-2014 11:03 AM
    He's the current CEO and the one announcing it. That's the way it works.
    yes he is correct. maybe nadella actually finalized office for ipad.!!! and also he is the ceo so for anything he will only b thanked!!
    03-28-2014 11:08 AM
    If you go back to my original post, you will see that the quote in question is: "It is to make sure that the one billion Office users have access to the high fidelity Office experience on every device they love to use." So the 'love' he appartently thinks Office users have is for a device, presumably in this case an iPad.
    We could also discuss the appalling corporate marketing speak that is "Office experience". I suppose technically using Microsoft Office is an 'experience', just as cleaning your bathroom or buying some socks is an 'experience'. However, I'd prefer that the word is reserved for something less mundane than using a word processor (and I don't mean that to be any criticism of Office).
    *shrugs* My bad. I still don't see anything negative about what he said.
    03-28-2014 11:30 AM
    Good news for some bad news for others: Office Mobile was updated for Android and iPhone. Biggest change you wont need Office 365 to use it anymore even better/worse: you wont need Office 365 to even edit Documents. Basically its completely free right now.
    The proper use of punctuation in your comment would be very helpful.
    03-28-2014 12:21 PM
    About the "loving" using Office, I think we take it for so granted. It's been around for so long and it's almost as basic to us as having a PC in the first place.

When you actually have a need for Office, try living without it for a year, you'll probably see that you might REALLY miss it (since you don't like talking about loving :P).

EDIT: Or if you were talking about "loving the device they use", well, I constantly say I love <insert product here>, most recently the Xbox One. It's a strong word, but I think you are overexaggerating anyways :D
    03-28-2014 12:56 PM
    I would love for him to announce that he is bringing back Windows Media Center.....Crap, will give him all the credit for it !
    03-28-2014 03:14 PM
    I would love for him to announce that he is bringing back Windows Media Center.....Crap, will give him all the credit for it !
    I didn't think it went away. I thought it just requires a Pro Pack add-on.
    03-28-2014 03:20 PM
    I didn't think it went away. I thought it just requires a Pro Pack add-on.

I use WMC on W8.1 on a daily basis.
    03-28-2014 07:27 PM
    He deserves credit for acceding to the 30% Apple cut for in-app subscription purchases. I doubt Ballmer would have ever agreed to that.
    03-29-2014 02:38 AM
    He deserves credit for acceding to the 30% Apple cut for in-app subscription purchases. I doubt Ballmer would have ever agreed to that.
    Yeah, that kind of frustrates me. Why does Apple deserve 30% on subscriptions?
    03-29-2014 09:14 AM
    This is business, not academics. It is not about what you deserve, it is about getting as much as you can get. Capitalism is capitalizing on opportunity, not fairness or what someone else thinks you deserve. In this case Apple has created a huge desire for their products, even though they suck balls. Regardless, that gives them leverage to take a cut from anyone that wants in on it.

Cold hard business. Don't let all the hippy BS Apple spews out daily fool you into thinking otherwise. I read a job posting of theirs that started with "Changing the world is all in a day's work at Apple." It stills makes me sick, but I digress.
    03-29-2014 09:35 AM
    This is business, not academics. It is not about what you deserve, it is about getting as much as you can get. Capitalism is capitalizing on opportunity, not fairness or what someone else thinks you deserve. In this case Apple has created a huge desire for their products, even though they suck balls. Regardless, that gives them leverage to take a cut from anyone that wants in on it.

Cold hard business. Don't let all the hippy BS Apple spews out daily fool you into thinking otherwise. I read a job posting of theirs that started with "Changing the world is all in a day's work at Apple." It stills makes me sick, but I digress.
    Couldn't they have just put "want to edit, go online to our site and subscribe to 365" without giving a link? If they would have done that, Apple would have gotten nothing.
    03-29-2014 09:36 AM
    What do Microsoft charge developers for subscriptions?
    03-29-2014 05:53 PM
    Why does Microsoft cater to Google and apple (who could care less about MS) (YouTube anyone) releasing apps for them instead of fixing known problems (Bing weather) on there own platforms and concentrating on closing the app/feature gap? Good way to take market shares away MS you go!!! Give apple and android users another reason not to leave those platforms.
    03-29-2014 06:02 PM
    What do Microsoft charge developers for subscriptions?
    I think it's 20% unless they changed something. I remember when Windows 8 launched, they had a graph that showed how developers kept 80% of the money as opposed to 70% from other app stores. I don't have any paid apps on the stores, so I have no way to check.
    03-29-2014 06:17 PM
    Also, I think some people are misunderstanding where the 30% comes from. That 30% only applies to purchases made within the app, and I would imagine that most apps are going to be made on the primary computer (a PC).

"Yeah, but Word is the top 5 grossing app in the store"

Well, person, you seem to forget that that IAP is $100. That's insane compared to other apps that are usually $.99. If only 100 people (a very very small percentage of the 3.5 million Office 365 user base and an infinitely small amount compare to the 1.5 billion Office user base) then that's $10,000, which is an insane amount for an app store. Remember that the amount of money that Office makes for Microsoft would make the money that Apple makes from the app store blush.
    03-29-2014 06:25 PM
68 123