The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
05-16-2014 01:10 PM
32 12
tools
    Heya, so today I watched a video on youtube and since morning, when I watched it, it's really been bothering me - so, the creators of the channel realsed app for Android and IOs i quote *maybe not exact words* "If you have WP get Android or IOs because WP sucks". I REALLY can't find ANY reason why WP is worse than Android or IOs, I have absolutly NO idea why wouldn't they release app for WP. Is it really hard to code for WP or too expensive, or what other reason? It's really been bothering me.
    05-15-2014 02:19 PM
    It's a sheep thing.
    AngrySprintUser likes this.
    05-15-2014 02:50 PM
    welcome to WPC, where questions like this have been debated like a thousand times

yeah, for me WP is far more stable than Android (never had Android and iOS, but quite familiar with the former)
    some people hate difference, and most of these people are not open minded, that's it

oh, and I don't think it's that hard to code for all platforms as there is Xamarin for that purpose
    LumiaWorld and xandros9 like this.
    05-15-2014 02:54 PM
    Quite a few threads on this subject already...
    This has been beaten to death on here.
    05-15-2014 02:55 PM
    For the same reason that some people call iOS users "iSheep" and say that iPhones suck. For the same reason that some people say that Android sucks. It's nothing to get ****-hurt over, few people in technology - especially mobile technology - have the maturity to acknowledge the strengths of other platforms.
    Williams_810 likes this.
    05-15-2014 03:00 PM
    What is even more funny to me is how android acts all "isheepish" in bed with IOS. You can't hear one name without the other being mentioned. something android has always wanted, to get that isheep type following.
    05-15-2014 03:04 PM
    Quite a few threads on this subject already...
    This has been beaten to death on here.
    sorry, didn't knew that.
    xandros9 likes this.
    05-15-2014 03:15 PM
    Thank you everyone. Just another question, as asked in 1st post - is it really that hard to code for WP? And what platfrom(?) it uses for coding?
    05-15-2014 03:16 PM
    Why some claim that iOS/Android sucks? Just fanboyism man, why would you care?
    AngrySprintUser likes this.
    05-15-2014 03:21 PM
    Why some claim that iOS/Android sucks? Just fanboyism man, why would you care?
    I'm not saying Iphone or Android sucks, I'm just pissed that they won't release app because they think WP sucks! Feels sooo unfair.
    05-15-2014 03:31 PM
    Is it really that hard to code for WP? And what platfrom(?) it uses for coding?
    No. It's actually one of the easiest platforms to develop for. Still, that doesn't mean it's simple. Just getting an app running is trivial. However, making a high quality app that is reliable, stable and a joy to use is difficult on any platform. That requires experience, and a notable amount of time and effort.

As stated a million times over on WPC, the app problem has absolutely nothing to do with how easy/difficiult it is to develop apps for WP, but WP's market share. If a company invests 100'000 to develop two apps for iOS and Android and with that can reach 95% of the market, there is little incentive to invest another 50'000 in a third app just for the remaining 5% of the market. It's a money and business problem. Not a technological problem.
    Guytronic, gkrew, xandros9 and 2 others like this.
    05-15-2014 03:33 PM
    No. It's actually one of the easiest platforms to develop for. Still, that doesn't mean it's simple. Just getting an app running is trivial. However, making a high quality app that is reliable, stable and a joy to use is difficult on any platform. That requires experience, and a notable amount of time and effort.

As stated a million times over on WPC, the app problem has absolutely nothing to do with how easy/difficiult it is to develop apps for WP, but WP's market share. If a company invests 100'000 to develop two apps for iOS and Android and with that can reach 95% of the market, there is little incentive to invest another 50'000 in a third app just for the remaining 5% of the market. It's a money and business problem. Not a technological problem.
    ^^What he said.

I learned to code C#/XAML in a week and submitted my first app. This is me coming from a blank slate as far as coding is concerned. Not difficult at all and I found it very easy to follow with the online training.

It's the market share and perception as stated.
    05-15-2014 03:43 PM
    Ok, thanks for the info.
    Good luck :)
    05-15-2014 03:49 PM
    Heya, so today I watched a video on youtube and since morning, when I watched it, it's really been bothering me - so, the creators of the channel realsed app for Android and IOs i quote *maybe not exact words* "If you have WP get Android or IOs because WP sucks". I REALLY can't find ANY reason why WP is worse than Android or IOs, I have absolutly NO idea why wouldn't they release app for WP. Is it really hard to code for WP or too expensive, or what other reason? It's really been bothering me.
    It doesn't suck. However it lacks too many things to be considered at the same level of the other two. It's not really a matter of preferences. It's a matter of needs too. Android an iOS have generally less bugs, less shortcomings, better markets, wider choice of premium apps. WP for now appeals better to more basic users with no advanced needs. Been discussed many times in great detail. WP is simply behind in many areas, for now.
    05-15-2014 06:59 PM
    It doesn't suck. However it lacks too many things to be considered at the same level of the other two. It's not really a matter of preferences. It's a matter of needs too. Android an iOS have generally less bugs, less shortcomings, better markets, wider choice of premium apps. WP for now spirals appeals better to more basic users with no advanced needs. Been discussed many times in great detail. WP is simply behind in many areas, for now.
    It's certainly behind in terms of silly games and new silly social media apps.

But advanced users? RDP, SSH, Office, Camera, etc- the apps on WP for these things far outweighs any IOS or Android app.

As far as bugs go, that's a vocal minority thing. Excluding 8.1 preview (which is a preview, not a release), 8.0 was no less stable than IOS and significantly more stable than any given Android ROM.
    05-15-2014 07:05 PM
    At least they know Windows Phone exists, there's recognition. I hardly hear anyone mention BlackBerry.
    05-15-2014 09:36 PM
    Personal preference or personal bias. Really it's no different than people on here saying android or iOS sucks. It's all the same thing.
    link68759 likes this.
    05-15-2014 10:11 PM
    Microsoft unfortunately carries that stigma. But the general public can't seem to think for themselves it seems

Sent from my all seeing 1020
    Guytronic and mister2d like this.
    05-15-2014 10:18 PM
    Care to share the video?
    05-15-2014 10:28 PM
    They are often employing confirmation bias. It helps them justify their decision to choose a competing product.
    Last edited by BobLobIaw; 05-15-2014 at 10:57 PM.
    mister2d and link68759 like this.
    05-15-2014 10:37 PM
    Pretty much anyone can create an functional app for Windows Phone using App Studio within an hour or so and get it submitted, so app creation is not the most difficult to learn. As mentioned before, it is easier than ever to create an app that works well across all platforms using Xamarin.

I have been primarily an Android user, it was my first smartphone after all, but since I have been getting review units over the last year to try out, that was my first exposure to WP.

Right now I would say that I still place Android slightly ahead of WP solely because of a couple of Google services I prefer over Microsoft/Nokia offerings. Namely Google Maps, Google+ and Hangouts.

But ever since WP 8.1 Dev Preview dropped, I have not used my Nexus 4 any more than a few days straight. I missed my WP experience that much. So much that I am debating buying either a 1520 or an LG G3 as my next daily driver.

I have an iPhone and cannot use it more than a day or 2 at a time. Just cannot get into it at all.

Microsoft is making that decision so much more difficult these days. Now that the Nokia purchase is done, they need to make sure all phones from this point forward are available on all carriers to build market share. If they keep on with past practice of one or two carriers each getting different outstanding phones, then they will always be a distant third leaving people to always have that thought in the back of their head that Microsoft could pull the plug on smartphones at any time.
    juanitoriv likes this.
    05-15-2014 11:11 PM
    It's certainly behind in terms of silly games and new silly social media apps.

But advanced users? RDP, SSH, Office, Camera, etc- the apps on WP for these things far outweighs any IOS or Android app.
    Indeed, which is why WP8 was the last platform to get an official RDP app from MS, and also why that app is much worse than it's Android/iOS counterpart.

Similarly, the fact that OneNote and Powerpoint are much better on those other platforms also proves your point.
    A895 likes this.
    05-15-2014 11:29 PM
    Indeed, which is why WP8 was the last platform to get an official RDP app from MS, and also why that app is much worse than it's Android/iOS counterpart.

Similarly, the fact that OneNote and Powerpoint are much better on those other platforms also proves your point.

Who said I was talking about the official RDP app? Why is the official RDP app the metric you use to rate how good RDP on the platform is?

The third party RDP app ConnectMe is better than any RDP I've used on android or iOS. The official RDP app implements RDP slightly differently so I keep it around, but yeah it's meh.

I'll give you that WP PowerPoint is bare bones, but I don't see myself ever creating/editing a PowerPoint slideshow on my phone. Seriously, almost anything is better than using a phone for PowerPoint. Even with a fully functional version of PowerPoint on my phone, I would sooner reach for pen and paper, or even just make a mental picture first, to be later translated into a slideshow via mouse and keyboard. Mobile PowerPoint is for viewing.

I don't see a problem with OneNote though. What more do you want? Especially with voice integration at the system level on WP (in 8.0 you could hold start and say, 'note blah blah'. It would save the recording to OneNote and a transcription of it, without ever opening the OneNote app).

WP is great for "advanced" users, especially now with the VPN hole filled.
    mister2d likes this.
    05-16-2014 01:03 AM
    Care to share the video?
    Sure.
    05-16-2014 01:59 AM
    Alright, thank you everyone, I got answers to my questions, there is no need to participate anymore :D
    05-16-2014 02:02 AM
32 12