The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
06-02-2014 12:15 PM
180 1234 ...
tools
    That's what I can't figure out. Chromebooks are barely a blip on the radar, and yet Microsoft is crapping their pants over them.
    Chromebooks have a lot of potential.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App
    05-22-2014 12:26 PM
    I've beating this same drum for quite a while. Although its now a month old, here's a BusinessInsider link that is germane to that angle.
    Yeah, unfortunately nobody seems to be hearing that drum. The "market share" argument is simple to understand and appears logical. It's been repeated so often that convincing anybody it's wrong is almost impossible now.

Anyway, thanks for that link. I'm still in shock!!! US/UK revenue per user per year for Google is on average $86??? What?

Honestly, I have a very hard time believing that. My estimate of 1 cent seems outright ridiculous in comparison. Really? Unless US and UK citizens really enjoy advertising and click on every second banner they see... but even then... IDK.

Even if we assume only one tenth of that alleged average for WP's userbase, that would imply that Google is ignoring $344 million from WP, annually. No longer small potatoes, even for Google. More importantly, that is definitely a market worth offering services too.
    05-22-2014 03:20 PM
    Chromebooks have a lot of potential.
    I'd say that is the reason too. MS isn't scared of Chromebooks as they are now, but of what they could become. And they should be.

Google is fighting WP while its market and mind share are still weak. That is the best time to do so. MS should be doing the exact same thing towards Chromebooks. Unfortunately, MS is still MIA on that field (mostly).
    A895 likes this.
    05-22-2014 03:23 PM
    I'd say that is the reason too. MS isn't scared of Chromebooks as they are now, but of what they could become. And they should be.

Google is fighting WP while its market and mind share are still weak. That is the best time to do so. MS should be doing the exact same thing towards Chromebooks. Unfortunately, MS is still MIA on that field (mostly).
    Yeah where are the cheap Windows RT laptops? That would directly compete with a Chromebook, but so far I only use RT tablets.

But even then, the sheer appeal of Chrome OS is that all the Google services are there as 1st party applications. Google is trying to starve MS ecosystem of oxygen by not developing 1st party apps for WP/Windows 8. Even their Youtube app for XBox One is crap. It's clear Google wants to see MS die.
    05-23-2014 02:36 AM
    May be Google will die but not Ms nd Apple.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app
    05-23-2014 02:41 AM
    Eric Schmidt has wanted to see MS dead for a long time. He had a vendetta against them at Novell, he had a vendetta against them at Sun, and he continues his vendetta at Google. Personally I feel Google would be a much better company if they never got themselves mixed up with him.
    05-23-2014 02:51 AM
    That's what I can't figure out. Chromebooks are barely a blip on the radar, and yet Microsoft is crapping their pants over them.
    true dat!!
    what ms really needs to battle chromebooks potential is releasing a cheaper variant of the surface with alot of screen , config options and dirt cheap RT versions as well as decently priced x86 versions like the dell venue series which were being sold for $200 a few months ago as part of a promo
    i myself tried to pick up 2-3 of the dell venue (8 i think) but it was sold out
    if they make a similiar surface like tablet for $200-400 i would definately pick a few up despite not needing one at the moment
    the newer quad core atoms are just what needs to be used in the lower end models
    x86 that cheap and with that sorta quality would sell like hot cakes
    so far ive not seen chromebooks sell at all here in india, people enquire abt them then the minute chrome os is mentioned they proceed to buy an ipad,android tablet or netbook which frankly makes alot of sense,given chromebooks lack features a layman would want, it neither has alot of native apps nor does it have x86 support(yet..., according to rumours)

edit- unless....... they have the surface mini surprise for us which might inlcude the stuff i just mentioned :D
    *rubs hands hopefully*
    05-23-2014 03:09 AM
    Where are you getting that impression?
    05-23-2014 09:12 AM
    Eh, MS probably makes more money off of Android phones than it does WP. I don't care how petty Google is. The 3rd party Youtube apps are generally free of ads, so I prefer them over the official app.
    05-23-2014 10:27 AM
    Eh, MS probably makes more money off of Android phones than it does WP. I don't care how petty Google is. The 3rd party Youtube apps are generally free of ads, so I prefer them over the official app.
    yeah i personally use youtube HD , people say metrotube is also great
    05-23-2014 12:00 PM
    Well Microsoft has been bashing Google for years now with their "Scroogle" campaign, you can't just make that out to be a little issue.
    My guess is though they see Microsoft as a huge thread to their business. Windows Phone is rapidly growing in the developing markets with budget phones and that's where Google's Android has really been dominating since Apple doesn't even compete there. Not to mention Microsoft's Surface and Windows 8 tablets are surely gaining on the Android tablet consumer base which is just another thread to Android.
    05-23-2014 12:55 PM

Once Google abandons ChromeBook's and focuses on putting Android on cheap Chromebook like PC's Microsoft's Windows is going to take a massive blow. I still wonder why they don't just take that course and give up on Chromebooks.
    05-23-2014 12:58 PM
    Once Google abandons ChromeBook's and focuses on putting Android on cheap Chromebook like PC's Microsoft's Windows is going to take a massive blow. I still wonder why they don't just take that course and give up on Chromebooks.
    Google is not going to give up on Chromebooks any time soon. They have no reason to do so. Android is for mobile and ChromeOS is desktop, they should be separate.

05-23-2014 01:40 PM
    That's a very good joke.
    05-23-2014 02:42 PM
    All I have to say is that Google is an evil empire.
    smoledman and Kram Sacul like this.
    05-23-2014 03:02 PM
    Eric Schmidt has wanted to see MS dead for a long time. He had a vendetta against them at Novell, he had a vendetta against them at Sun, and he continues his vendetta at Google. Personally I feel Google would be a much better company if they never got themselves mixed up with him.
    Agreed, this is war to the death between Google/MS. After that the winner gets to take on the final BOSS Apple for the crown in 2020. There can be only one winner.
    05-24-2014 04:24 AM
    Agreed, this is war to the death between Google/MS. After that the winner gets to take on the final BOSS Apple for the crown in 2020. There can be only one winner.
    Apple has to defeat Samsung first
    05-24-2014 04:27 AM
    I hate how dependent I am on Google cloud services and Chrome. Unfortunately MS can't provide me a better alternative.

Browser - Chrome wipes the floor with IE in terms of GUI, extension system, multiple account support and robust search for settings/history

Mail
    - Once again GMail is superior with pure labeling system and efficiencies in the UI for things like applying labels and creating filters on the fly. Too bad MS can't jettison the legacy folders

Search - This goes without saying Google Search is 10x better then Bing in so many ways. Probably the biggest blowout is on this.

Calendar - I like how you can use Google's "Quick add" to add an appointment via natural language. MS Calendar does not have this.

Video streaming - Youtube is the only thing on the web. There are no true competitors.

Maps - Once again Google Maps are the world class standard. Best POI database, best route planner and best street view.
    05-24-2014 04:34 AM
    I hate how dependent I am on Google cloud services and Chrome. Unfortunately MS can't provide me a better alternative.

Browser - Chrome wipes the floor with IE in terms of GUI, extension system, multiple account support and robust search for settings/history

Mail
    - Once again GMail is superior with pure labeling system and efficiencies in the UI for things like applying labels and creating filters on the fly. Too bad MS can't jettison the legacy folders

Search - This goes without saying Google Search is 10x better then Bing in so many ways. Probably the biggest blowout is on this.

Calendar - I like how you can use Google's "Quick add" to add an appointment via natural language. MS Calendar does not have this.

Video streaming - Youtube is the only thing on the web. There are no true competitors.

Maps - Once again Google Maps are the world class standard. Best POI database, best route planner and best street view.
    Youtube is the only thing on that list anyone actually needs, I add stuff with voice to my calendar all the time with cortana. Outlook.com is awesome. IE Rocks! As for search, Bing is the best!
    05-24-2014 04:50 AM
    Chromebooks is not threat to anything concerning Microsoft.
    05-24-2014 07:20 AM
    Chromebooks is not threat to anything concerning Microsoft.
    Not now. But later? Chromebooks have potential and that's what Microsoft is concerned with.

Last edited by A895; 05-24-2014 at 12:19 PM.
    05-24-2014 07:58 AM
    Youtube is the only thing on that list anyone actually needs, I add stuff with voice to my calendar all the time with cortana. Outlook.com is awesome. IE Rocks! As for search, Bing is the best!
    Cortana does not exist on Windows 8. Also hwo can you say that Youtube is the only thing o the list that anyone needs? MS has to ask themselves some hard questions. I used IE4 for several years until Firefox came along in 2003. Then I switched from that to Chrome in 2009. MS dropped the ball with IE for over a decade. If I had never used Firefox/Chrome and encountered IE11 I'd think it'd be a great browser, but not in comparison to Chrome 35.
    05-24-2014 02:10 PM
    Cortana does not exist on Windows 8. Also hwo can you say that Youtube is the only thing o the list that anyone needs? MS has to ask themselves some hard questions. I used IE4 for several years until Firefox came along in 2003. Then I switched from that to Chrome in 2009. MS dropped the ball with IE for over a decade. If I had never used Firefox/Chrome and encountered IE11 I'd think it'd be a great browser, but not in comparison to Chrome 35.
    I've tried recent chrome and Firefox browsers. I like ie11 better. And Cortana will eventually make it to windows. But when you can hit the button on your phone and make an appointment on your calendar, why not do it? Things you added on your phone sync directly to all other calendars that sync with your outlook. Right now on my PC I see appointments that were created with Cortana. I don't think it's Microsoft that needs to do any hard question asking, perhaps it's yourself. You are consumed by Google, they are your masters. You can set yourself free! (by the way, I'm not being serious about you being a slave to Google, so please don't get angry!)
    05-24-2014 02:24 PM
    I've tried recent chrome and Firefox browsers. I like ie11 better. And Cortana will eventually make it to windows. But when you can hit the button on your phone and make an appointment on your calendar, why not do it? Things you added on your phone sync directly to all other calendars that sync with your outlook. Right now on my PC I see appointments that were created with Cortana. I don't think it's Microsoft that needs to do any hard question asking, perhaps it's yourself. You are consumed by Google, they are your masters. You can set yourself free! (by the way, I'm not being serious about you being a slave to Google, so please don't get angry!)
    You like IE better because you have bias and it is Microsoft. That's like saying a cat tried soda and juice but likes milk better.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    05-24-2014 03:10 PM
    You like IE better because you have bias and it is Microsoft. That's like saying a cat tried soda and juice but likes milk better.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    So? What's your point? I do get bias on things that are good. But I also keep an open mind and change. I use to LOVE Google. Back in the day, you might have said I was brainwashed. But I wasn't, Google was better than everything. But nowadays, with everything they do, I lost the faith. Same thing with Samsung and Sony, I once loved both of them, now they don't. Sony use to make the best stuff, I loved it but now anytime I buy their stuff it breaks for falls apart. I also use to be a heavy Firefox user, and still have the current version installed. I don't care for it. It's slower than IE, and it does many things worse. For instance I always click in FF to remember my password, and it doesn't ever do it, on any site. In IE, not only does it remember my password, but it remembers it on all of my devices. Perhaps someday I'll give up on Microsoft, but right now they are doing everything right. They are making great products, awesome hardware and the services are amazing. They are also the one company right now trying their best to not be evil. I've got a feeling I'll continue to love MS for a long time.
    05-24-2014 03:24 PM
180 1234 ...