Do you think Microsoft has been fair enough with 512mb ram device?

Makm

May 15, 2014
Visit site
I feel like that too... Only if all the games were available for the 512mb devices, life would've rocked!

anon(7935575)

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I had rooted my device and installed custom rom too. The ram expanders are just fake. They create cache only in SD partitions which would ultimately slow phone further because it has to use SD card.

Jordano

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I agree. Microsoft excelled in the WP performance; I don't really see how a device like the Lumia 520 would work properly with Android. For now...

The biggest resource drainer in Android is the Dalvik Runtime, which is basically a virtual machine upon which all apps are executed. We all know that portability minimizes performance, but it's a project decision anyway. What I mean by "for now" is that Google is working on a new runtime environment for Android - ART - and its implementation effectively lower the demand for processor and memory use.

Alright, it might take a while, but Android will certainly improve its performance on 512 MB RAM devices. Not as well as Windows, since predefined processors give a huge help on building the OS, but better than nowadays. ,

anon(7935575)

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I agree. Microsoft excelled in the WP performance; I don't really see how a device like the Lumia 520 would work properly with Android. For now...

The biggest resource drainer in Android is the Dalvik Runtime, which is basically a virtual machine upon which all apps are executed. We all know that portability minimizes performance, but it's a project decision anyway. What I mean by "for now" is that Google is working on a new runtime environment for Android - ART - and its implementation effectively lower the demand for processor and memory use.

Alright, it might take a while, but Android will certainly improve its performance on 512 MB RAM devices. Not as well as Windows, since predefined processors give a huge help on building the OS, but better than nowadays. ,
Till the time they do it, 512 MB devices would already be dead.

Makm

May 15, 2014
Visit site

You are right. Most of the games nowadays require at least 1gb ram! Except for few, the majority of the ppl seeks for devices with 1gb ram. So even if the OS-es are optimized for 512mb ram, the 3rd party apps wont be that much optimized, specially the games. And the games which are optimized for 512mb ram has crappy graphics! (for eg: Asphalt 8 on 512mb devices) Not all games have crappy graphics though, but a minimum of 1gb ram is highly preferable in every way. So in the near future 512mb devices will become almost extinct.

Jan Tomsic

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Sometimes I feel like we can only enjoy 512mb ram only with windows phone OS..

What do you think guys?? share here..

I don't understand what you're trying to say...
Are you saying that only useful phones with 512MB RAM are the ones running WP?
My wife has no problems with her 720, even though it only has 512MB RAM, it can run Wordament, 9gag and news as well as all sorts of messaging and communication. When she just got it (which was 6 months before I got my 925), I barely found any games that wouldn't run on 512MB, and she doesn't care at all, because she doesn't play games on her phone.

WP is highly optimized for the hardware it runs on, and it performs smoothly and lag free, much like iPhones (5S runs a 1.3GHz dual core). 1GB (or more) RAM only means a bit less loading screens and a couple more games. I don't hear my wife complaining that her 720 would be slow, and I also never hear my brother and his wife complaining about their 620s, which means hardware details are pretty irrelevant when it comes to WP, unless what you mostly do on your phone is run games, then you kinda have to go for Lumia 8 series or higher. I only really chose the 925 for the camera, not so much for other hardware, I'd be perfectly happy with 720 with 925s camera.

I thing 512MB WPs are a fair deal, and not ripping off people. They offer everything that's smart about a smartphones at low cost, and for those who want to game on the go on a budget, I'd suggest getting a used PSP 3000 off ebay, they start at as low as 50$

Jan Tomsic

May 8, 2013
Visit site
they need to add more apps for 512mb ram..

Apps aren't really a problem, it's just games, and they need quite heavy optimization to run on half the ram they were designed for, and since game companies only look for a quick buck (10 releases of the same game just with a different main character, etc), they don't really care because it's easier just releasing a game to Android.

Jordano

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site

Maybe. But, in order to optimize your software to a minimum hardware specification, you need to go as lower as possible. What I mean is: if Google manages to put Android to work well on 512 MB RAM devices, higher powered devices will have a much better performance than they would've if the low standard was higher than 512 MB RAM.

travis_valkyrie

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Literally answering the question, yes, I think Microsoft has been fair with 512MB devices. They're getting everything the 8.1 update has to offer (may vary), and it should. The app situation is another story. Everything can't run on 512MB, and it's simply the developers choice, so basically Microsoft has done their part optimizing the OS, so it's up to the developers to give a fluid experience (eg. Rudy Huyn). App doesn't run well? Blame the developers, not MS. How can people not see this.

oseansaditya

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
honestly, I'm little bit curious about this.. why applications we have on windows phone always (or maybe sometimes.. I don't know) lack of features?

EpicIncognitO

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Well to be fair, my friend is a Android freak and he loves android and after checking the apps on my lumia 720 he said that the apps on my phone had better quality in terms of design and interface. And I could see it, the WP experience is unique but the only thing we lack are pro features in all official apps, many third party apps are way way better and now that the 8.1 SDK is out I am sure the apps will improve but are the official developers trying their best? I dont think so. I think Microsoft needs the official apps to come at par with android and then people will switch.

Coming to the 512 MB thing, many people get surprised when they come to know that my phone doesnt have a 1 GB ram, yes the OS is amazingly light. (except the lags on the start screen in 8.1).

hidayat225

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
TBH, I don't think having a 512mb ram on a Windows Phone device is a problem for normal users, normal users as in those who doesn't play heavy games regularly although they may find it nice once in a while. If you want and expect more from your phone then you would go higher than 720 itself. But for a regular user like me who only have certain apps that I need is alright.

If a consumer who is looking for a phone that he would spend his most of his time on his device (which in my opinion is very unhealthy and not great for your eyes), they would look at 820 or higher. I believe Nokia and Microsoft should market their products right if they want to stay relevant. They are not there as of yet as none of my classmates know any Lumia except for the one I'm holding and their device during the old Symbian days.

I've spent my time with a 520 (great device and great camera for it's price), 820 (cracked it lol) and now a 720 which is like the bridge between budget and 1gb of ram. And I found that most of the apps support 512mb ram so to me it's not related to Microsoft at all. It's developers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon