The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
07-11-2014 12:34 AM
103 123 ...
tools
    With in the last 2 weeks or so. We have seen a wave of official apps raining and landing on the Windows Phone store.

There is more work to to do to be completive on the mobile world.

But we can we say this about the past two weeks. It has been exciting and remarkable to say the least.

Has Windows Phone enter a new phase into the mobile world?

And finally will the Windows Phone community receive the recognition it deserves?

I think so.

Your thoughts?
    Last edited by k0de; 06-28-2014 at 08:40 PM.
    06-28-2014 08:17 PM
    It'll get the quantity, but I'm not sure it'll get the quality. For example, the Instagram app is still terrible.
    12Danny123, 4ny0n3, k0de and 8 others like this.
    06-28-2014 08:28 PM
    I agree. We'll eventually see the app gap close. Universal apps and making WP free is probably the best thing that MS has ever done to the MS community
    06-28-2014 08:29 PM
    I'm afraid that even though what you say is partly true, Microsoft cannot forget that Quality>Quantity.

The release of web wrappers (Official Pinterest), eternal betas (Official Instagram) and apps that STILL lack basic functionality (Official Twitter, Vine and Foursquare), can still drive people away from the platform as much the app gap would. Mind that the apps I just mentioned are not the only ones that are likely to drive people away.

Quality third party apps like the ones from the amazing Mr. Huyn are still not enough. Lack of decent support from the developers of official apps leave a lot to be desired when evaluating WP as a potential OS to migrate to.
    MazoMark, k0de, smoledman and 4 others like this.
    06-28-2014 08:30 PM
    got to disagree here as i live in New Zealand we get NO offical apps,
    we dont have the volume of wp8 users so we just dont get the apps, what make this worse is Microsoft/Nokia don't even promote the wp here, i had to import my 1520 & it has no NZ firmware, all windows phones are kept under the counter in stores so you have to ask to see the phone if it is even stocked, its nice to see the rest of the world getting mainstream apps but its still got a long way to go for everyone outside of the USA
    06-28-2014 08:41 PM
    I agree. We'll eventually see the app gap close. Universal apps and making WP free is probably the best thing that MS has ever done to the MS community
    So true. And once the gap has truly closed we will cease to see the slipshod releases that are occasionally appearing. Honestly I'll take a web wrapper over nothing, it is merely a foot in the door for future quality apps with cross-platform parity in regard to quality and features.
    k0de likes this.
    06-28-2014 09:03 PM
    Personally, Beyond Clash of Clans and Feedly, I see no app gap
    k0de and Editguy1900 like this.
    06-28-2014 09:07 PM
    I personally have no issues with earthquakes in California, because I live in Pennsylvania.
    06-28-2014 10:12 PM
    I personally have no issues with earthquakes in California, because I live in Pennsylvania.
    lol, I dont get it -_-
    06-29-2014 01:08 AM
    lol, I dont get it -_-
    He's saying that, just because you don't feel there's a significant app gap based on your personal preference, it doesn't mean that there isn't one.
    N_LaRUE, MikeX74, wapoz and 5 others like this.
    06-29-2014 10:18 AM
    It'll get the quantity, but I'm not sure it'll get the quality. For example, the Instagram app is still terrible.
    Many people from other platforms assure that Instagram will exit the beta phase after a year.

Lets wait and see we are almost there.
    06-29-2014 03:19 PM
    Yes universal apps is revolutionary. And hopefully the break that MSFT was looking for. Good find.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-29-2014 03:21 PM
    I'm afraid that even though what you say is partly true, Microsoft cannot forget that Quality>Quantity.

The release of web wrappers (Official Pinterest), eternal betas (Official Instagram) and apps that STILL lack basic functionality (Official Twitter, Vine and Foursquare), can still drive people away from the platform as much the app gap would. Mind that the apps I just mentioned are not the only ones that are likely to drive people away.

Quality third party apps like the ones from the amazing Mr. Huyn are still not enough. Lack of decent support from the developers of official apps leave a lot to be desired when evaluating WP as a potential OS to migrate to.
    True quality over quantity. But coming from a open source back ground in developing quality is un important. This could be a good thing.

Most important the apps are here. Now Dev's can improve quality based on users response.
    06-29-2014 03:23 PM
    No the app gap will not close because the startup mobile developers target iOS exclusive 80% of the time, Android the other 20%. Windows OSes are literally frozen out for various reasons(poor APIs, low user base, hatred towards MS).
    k0de and wapoz like this.
    06-29-2014 03:26 PM
    got to disagree here as i live in New Zealand we get NO offical apps,
    we dont have the volume of wp8 users so we just dont get the apps, what make this worse is Microsoft/Nokia don't even promote the wp here, i had to import my 1520 & it has no NZ firmware, all windows phones are kept under the counter in stores so you have to ask to see the phone if it is even stocked, its nice to see the rest of the world getting mainstream apps but its still got a long way to go for everyone outside of the USA
    Perhaps this situation would change in your region. Hopefully MSFT is working in this.
    smoledman likes this.
    06-29-2014 03:27 PM

​At what point do people admit that WP is defeated and move on?
    k0de and wapoz like this.
    Perhaps this situation would change in your region. Hopefully MSFT is working in this.
    MS shows they only care about the US market. Look at how horrible Bing is outside US.
    k0de, Taigatrommel, wapoz and 3 others like this.
    Everyone has different needs. I am glad that you are contempt with Windows Phone. But Windows Phones still has work to do. And WP must keep working to try to fulfill not all but most of the people needs.
    06-29-2014 03:30 PM
    ​At what point do people admit that WP is defeated and move on?
    Never. Your post tells me you have never accomplished anything in life. From relationship to a career.

My friend. If WP is to succeed they must be persistence.

Persistence is the key to success. Any successful individual will tell you that.
    06-29-2014 03:35 PM
    MS shows they only care about the US market. Look at how horrible Bing is outside US.
    MSFT old business model. Things have changed.

It's a new MSFT hopefully Satya will change things around and focus on other markets. It is essential for the survival of MSFT.

There so be some improvements in your region soon.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-29-2014 03:43 PM
    No the app gap will not close because the startup mobile developers target iOS exclusive 80% of the time, Android the other 20%. Windows OSes are literally frozen out for various reasons(poor APIs, low user base, hatred towards MS).
    This is fairly on-track. iOS gets all the best new apps because its user base has all the early-adopters and cool-kids. Android has numbers, but they don't include the movers and shakers. When my workplace (a major cultural institution) builds out apps, they tend to be for iOS only with Android as a "phase II" if ever. Our core audience is iPhone users with a tiny minority of Android users. Windows Phone isn't on our radar. I love WP as a platform and I enjoy writing apps for it, but it doesn't make sense for us to spend time and money on a Windows Phone app that next to nobody will use. I don't think WP fans appreciate that there's a big app gap between iOS and Android too.

Those mentioning Universal apps are way off base. Windows 8 has had worse dev adoption than Windows Phone in terms of apps and if anything the Universal apps were trying to get WP devs onto Windows rather than the other way around. MS seems to be on the right track partnering with Xamarin that makes cross-platform apps easier. If you can make it so that it's just as easy to make an iPhone/Android/WP app as an iPhone/Android app, WP can only benefit from that. If I ran MS, I'd snap up Xamarin (and maybe Unity) and put as much MS financial and tech muscle as I could behind it even if it meant releasing Visual Studio 2015 on the Mac or even Linux as well as Windows. The only way WP is going to get the top apps is that it is effortless for devs and the people who pay them to make apps for all platforms at the same time. Devs want that too. When Xamarin did their presentation at the last //Build conference, they had to move to the main hall because so many wanted to attend.

Until it becomes trivial to build apps for all three platforms, WP is going to stay a distant third in the app race.
    06-30-2014 01:07 AM
    Maybe for the US based users it looks good. However it's hard to see the OS going any well in other regions (I am in Asia). I have to stress once again that i lack a lot of apps that Android has (Dictionaries, language tools mainly). The OS lacks real integration outside the Office dominion. IE won't even allow to save to Pocket or any other place (Firefox, Dolphin do) and.....WP keyboard lacks inputs for some languages. Maps are terrible. It's not just a matter of quantity. Quality is not there. From the poor quality of tiles, graphics, contents, integration, details. The OS is not refined and developers (the few i know) are not happy about the fact Microsoft insists in offering one core thing they then have to layer up with a different dress. Browsers are a good example. They are all copies of IE, with all its flaws. (Kaspersky, Fsecure, etc. etc.). Maxthon and Surfy are a bit better but still lack a lot and i am sure it's API issues. Tons of apps are photocopies of one another (Maps are a perfect example) and the Bing platform is terribly lacking (and finally Microsoft is admitting it). The overall thing lacks synergy between OS and Apps. The ecosystem is broken.
    06-30-2014 05:09 AM
    There are exactly (3) apps that I want, Flipboard, WatchESPN, and Verizon Fios. Other than those, i have no app issues. Flipboard has many alternatives, the others do not
    06-30-2014 06:39 AM
    Never. Your post tells me you have never accomplished anything in life. From relationship to a career.

My friend. If WP is to succeed they must be persistence.

Persistence is the key to success. Any successful individual will tell you that.
    You've gotten awfully personal here. After all Microsoft is famous for releasing something and discontinuing it shortly after.

A few examples: Zune Player , Kin phone , SPOT Smartwatch, WP7 and so on.

MSFT old business model. Things have changed.
    That's not true. Things might change. The only thing that has changed so far is Microsoft looking for a person to make Bing usable in non-US countries. I'll believe it when I see it.
    k0de, Mr Lebowski and wapoz like this.
    06-30-2014 07:02 AM
    Having just come from BlackBerry, I can tell you the app situation is much better and improving on Windows Phone. BB10 has to rely on its Android Runtime to make up for its terrible native app catalog. In fact, they are partnering with Amazon to make the Amazon Appstore an official part of the next major OS release. BB has conceded defeat in trying to develop a competitive native app ecosystem and thrown its existing native app developers under the bus.

Microsoft is in a much better position to attract developers and grow its WP app ecosystem. It's been a slow and difficult journey, but I think their persistence is paying off.

Though I am committed to trying out this Lumia 822 for at least 30 days, I can see myself staying with WP well beyond that.
    Posted from my Nokia Lumia 822 using Tapatalk
    jlzimmerman likes this.
    06-30-2014 08:02 AM
103 123 ...