Here's A Compelling Case For Killing Windows Phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
As far as Cortana vs Siri and Google Now goes, Cortana absolutely crushes both of them in accuracy and features, most times.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Siri crushes Cortana on local tasks(things that don't require internet) and being in most countries. Google Now crushes Cortana in having more context-created "cards" due to scanning ALL your data without any regard because people seem to prize convenience above privacy. Even if Cortana became objectively the best digital assistant tomorrow it wouldn't matter due to < 4% marketshare.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Siri crushes Cortana on local tasks(things that don't require internet) and being in most countries. Google Now crushes Cortana in having more context-created "cards" due to scanning ALL your data without any regard because people seem to prize convenience above privacy. Even if Cortana became objectively the best digital assistant tomorrow it wouldn't matter due to < 4% marketshare.
Yeah I did want to take my statement back because Cortana doesn't completely kill Google Now or Siri.

negyzagu.jpg

Plus another great feature of Google Now is the fact that you can enable it anywhere.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
The handiest things about Google Now for me are: it letting me know where my packages are in transit(or if they're on my porch), it pushing a notification to me before or after I leave work, telling me if there's a wreck on my route, and touchless voice activation, even from the lock screen. I've really come to rely on it.

kencaz

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Pushing services to other platforms is fine but push it to your own first make your users happy or else they will go away.

Yep, I think releasing Office to iOS was bad for their hardware (Surface), sales... Quite possible that many Ipad & MB-Air users would have switched to Surface for their primary work computer. Now. NOT...

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Compelling case or not, the future is mobile and windows phone is here to stay whether people like it or not.

The mobile era will be supersceded by the era where communication tech is actually embedded inside people (if the Sc-Fi trend is anything to go by) .:winktongue:

Last edited:

kencaz

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Where do you get your false information from?

2014-08-09_14-10-33.jpg

It's obvious that ios and google would want WP dead. It's been that way since iOS and MS started. People are looking for larger screens and the current 5s is sorely lacking. Maybe when the 6 comes out their sales will start going again.

Google is having privacy issues and a lot of people, (myself) included will not longer use Gmail. These people are looking for a new platform.

Cortana just went international and MS is offering it's OS free for all devices under 8" so there are many manufactures ready to start making windows phones. I think Nadella made bad business decisions regarding Nokia and also releasing Office but still think more will migrate to WP as the apps grow and the OS gets more polished. Android and iOS have had a tremendous head start. WP is growing at a way faster rate then either of them did in previous years.

I have an 929/Icon, My wife has a MotoX and My Son has a 5S. Siri is way behind you can tell just by using them daily. Cortana when she get's voice activation will surpass google. She already has better voice recognition and more accurate results.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
It's obvious that ios and google would want WP dead.

How is that obvious? I keep reading that here and have yet to see an answer, other than "that's why they don't develop apps for WP." At this point I don't think they care much about WP. WP sales would barely register on Android's scale. Look at Q2 2014 sales; WP sales for the entire quarter were 3 days of Android.

That said, I'm sure that iOS & Google do want WP dead. They also want each other dead. And Microsoft wants both of them dead.

kencaz

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
How is that obvious? I keep reading that here and have yet to see an answer, other than "that's why they don't develop apps for WP." At this point I don't think they care much about WP. WP sales would barely register on Android's scale. Look at Q2 2014 sales; WP sales for the entire quarter were 3 days of Android.

I am aware of Androids current market share... I am not talking about current sales either. This is about what is going to happen. It's way early in the game.

Windows Phone primed to exploit iOS and Android shortcomings | Mobile News Online

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I am aware of Androids current market share... I am not talking about current sales either. This is about what is going to happen. It's way early in the game.

Windows Phone primed to exploit iOS and Android shortcomings | Mobile News Online

Good find! I've always believed the enterprise sector is the most important market to target. BlackBerry's demise should have been exploited sooner but, oh well. What a better way to expose the platform to users than forcing it on them. I had never used an iPhone until my boss forced it on me. It would have been a very expensive mistake otherwise.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Units sold does NOT represent how many those units are still in use. How many Android phones have either been returned because the OS dont work or freeze? How many have been thrown in the garbage or on auction sites because they are changing phone OS? Ya the figures show sales but ask all those people do they still own or use them phones still and I guarantee you they will say NO. Windows Phone are more reliable the reason they are is because Microsoft takes the time in developing, testing and running updates before they reach our mobiles, you don't have to "jailbreak" windows phones in order to get upgraded from WP8 to WP8.1 you just get it. Also if you want to get the updates early (the OS now not the firmware) you can register as a developer and get a preview of the latest mouth watering offering from Windows phone, you cant get that on iPhone nor Android. Ya you can get custom ROMs for Android but they are as buggy as f**k and can damage your phone. Do it wrong and your phone gets "bricked". Windows Phone is and will be the best phone OS in the world!!!!!

Sent from my Lumia 520 via the Windows Phone Central app

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Units sold does NOT represent how many those units are still in use. How many Android phones have either been returned because the OS dont work or freeze? How many have been thrown in the garbage or on auction sites because they are changing phone OS? Ya the figures show sales but ask all those people do they still own or use them phones still and I guarantee you they will say NO. Windows Phone are more reliable the reason they are is because Microsoft takes the time in developing, testing and running updates before they reach our mobiles, you don't have to "jailbreak" windows phones in order to get upgraded from WP8 to WP8.1 you just get it. Also if you want to get the updates early (the OS now not the firmware) you can register as a developer and get a preview of the latest mouth watering offering from Windows phone, you cant get that on iPhone nor Android. Ya you can get custom ROMs for Android but they are as buggy as f**k and can damage your phone. Do it wrong and your phone gets "bricked". Windows Phone is and will be the best phone OS in the world!!!!!

I've had Android devices since Cupcake, and haven't owned one yet that wasn't reliable. And not all ROM's are buggy. I stick to the ones that are popular like Cyanogen or Paranoid Android. Really what you're doing here is stating things as being factual, when it's really just your personal opinion. That's fine, and I respect that, but I don't agree with you.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I've had Android devices since Cupcake, and haven't owned one yet that wasn't reliable. And not all ROM's are buggy. I stick to the ones that are popular like Cyanogen or Paranoid Android. Really what you're doing here is stating things as being factual, when it's really just your personal opinion. That's fine, and I respect that, but I don't agree with you.

Truth be told, there have been some clunkers (Pantech Pocket). I have owned Androids with very low specs that were simply stupendous. Case in point, the Moto Devour (Donut for God's sake) remains one of my favorites. As for custom ROMs, the only stable-ish ones I've come across were the Liquid ROMs. CM and Paranoid were awful on Moto devices especially when it came to cameras and wifi. JB is the first Android I would consider to be "ready for prime time". KitKat has become a little cartoonish for my tastes (that's why I asked you about that theme) but it seems rock-solid. I'm using it now and my G Pro has yet to freeze, reset or any of the usual Android maladies.

From a WP fan's point of view, it begs the question - what took so long? The same can be said of iOS if you think about the recent features like the slide up control panel, etc.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site

I have rooted and installed more ROMs on Android devices then I can remember. I dont see why you need to go "Jailbreaking" your phone just to squeeze an extra hour of life on the battery, or to completely clear your RAM for smoother operation. With the Lumia which I own and have experience in both OS I find battery life way longer I can go over 6 hours heavy duty use facebook, youtube and twitter etc. I cant do the same on an Android phone an example of such Samsung Galaxy S4 come to mind. Also my Lumia is waaaay faster in regards response time, browsing, opening and closing apps. Why does Android make you go through a maze of stuff in order for you to completely close an app, with Lumia Black update over 6 months back you got the lovely "X" icon to fully close apps. Also you go to background apps and block all the ones you don't want to run. You go back to the same settings on Android and close the app, yes the app is closed until you restart your phone and the app runs again in the background. Its like groundhog day with the Android. Restart the Lumia and the blocked apps stay blocked. I used Cyanogen Mod using ClockWork mod and if your not experienced in these things you can screw up your phone. I have used Odin many times for people coming to me with bricked phones to flash the original firmware back to their phones. Cut out the middle man, the playing with ROMs and just use Windows Phone. You don't need to flash, jailbreak or Pratt around with it. Is Microsoft in your pocket.

jdholland79

May 14, 2013
Visit site

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Windows Phone growth took a hit in 2013-2014 because of Nokia's stupidity, i.e. missing out on the mid-range wave, failing to release a proper Lumia 920 successor in a timely fashion, releasing Nokia X and diluting Lumia's hold on the low-end, etc. If the Microsoft and its mobile division get their horses in order, they'll be able to recoup and bring Windows Phone back on the growth track, especially if they make a genuine push in the middle and upper-middle end with L730 and L830, respectively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes