08-18-2014 11:30 AM
104 12345
tools
    How is that obvious? I keep reading that here and have yet to see an answer, other than "that's why they don't develop apps for WP." At this point I don't think they care much about WP. WP sales would barely register on Android's scale. Look at Q2 2014 sales; WP sales for the entire quarter were 3 days of Android.
    I am aware of Androids current market share... I am not talking about current sales either. This is about what is going to happen. It's way early in the game.

Windows Phone primed to exploit iOS and Android shortcomings | Mobile News Online
    08-09-2014 05:00 PM
    I am aware of Androids current market share... I am not talking about current sales either. This is about what is going to happen. It's way early in the game.

Windows Phone primed to exploit iOS and Android shortcomings | Mobile News Online
    The article has some interesting ideas. We'll see how it plays out!
    08-09-2014 05:30 PM

Good find! I've always believed the enterprise sector is the most important market to target. BlackBerry's demise should have been exploited sooner but, oh well. What a better way to expose the platform to users than forcing it on them. I had never used an iPhone until my boss forced it on me. It would have been a very expensive mistake otherwise.
    08-09-2014 06:31 PM
    Units sold does NOT represent how many those units are still in use. How many Android phones have either been returned because the OS dont work or freeze? How many have been thrown in the garbage or on auction sites because they are changing phone OS? Ya the figures show sales but ask all those people do they still own or use them phones still and I guarantee you they will say NO. Windows Phone are more reliable the reason they are is because Microsoft takes the time in developing, testing and running updates before they reach our mobiles, you don't have to "jailbreak" windows phones in order to get upgraded from WP8 to WP8.1 you just get it. Also if you want to get the updates early (the OS now not the firmware) you can register as a developer and get a preview of the latest mouth watering offering from Windows phone, you cant get that on iPhone nor Android. Ya you can get custom ROMs for Android but they are as buggy as f**k and can damage your phone. Do it wrong and your phone gets "bricked". Windows Phone is and will be the best phone OS in the world!!!!!

Sent from my Lumia 520 via the Windows Phone Central app
    JamesPTao and raycpl like this.
    08-09-2014 10:20 PM
    Units sold does NOT represent how many those units are still in use. How many Android phones have either been returned because the OS dont work or freeze? How many have been thrown in the garbage or on auction sites because they are changing phone OS? Ya the figures show sales but ask all those people do they still own or use them phones still and I guarantee you they will say NO. Windows Phone are more reliable the reason they are is because Microsoft takes the time in developing, testing and running updates before they reach our mobiles, you don't have to "jailbreak" windows phones in order to get upgraded from WP8 to WP8.1 you just get it. Also if you want to get the updates early (the OS now not the firmware) you can register as a developer and get a preview of the latest mouth watering offering from Windows phone, you cant get that on iPhone nor Android. Ya you can get custom ROMs for Android but they are as buggy as f**k and can damage your phone. Do it wrong and your phone gets "bricked". Windows Phone is and will be the best phone OS in the world!!!!!
    I've had Android devices since Cupcake, and haven't owned one yet that wasn't reliable. And not all ROM's are buggy. I stick to the ones that are popular like Cyanogen or Paranoid Android. Really what you're doing here is stating things as being factual, when it's really just your personal opinion. That's fine, and I respect that, but I don't agree with you.
    08-09-2014 11:33 PM
    Thanks guys
    08-09-2014 11:41 PM
    I've had Android devices since Cupcake, and haven't owned one yet that wasn't reliable. And not all ROM's are buggy. I stick to the ones that are popular like Cyanogen or Paranoid Android. Really what you're doing here is stating things as being factual, when it's really just your personal opinion. That's fine, and I respect that, but I don't agree with you.
    Truth be told, there have been some clunkers (Pantech Pocket). I have owned Androids with very low specs that were simply stupendous. Case in point, the Moto Devour (Donut for God's sake) remains one of my favorites. As for custom ROMs, the only stable-ish ones I've come across were the Liquid ROMs. CM and Paranoid were awful on Moto devices especially when it came to cameras and wifi. JB is the first Android I would consider to be "ready for prime time". KitKat has become a little cartoonish for my tastes (that's why I asked you about that theme) but it seems rock-solid. I'm using it now and my G Pro has yet to freeze, reset or any of the usual Android maladies.

From a WP fan's point of view, it begs the question - what took so long? The same can be said of iOS if you think about the recent features like the slide up control panel, etc.
    08-10-2014 11:21 AM
    I have rooted and installed more ROMs on Android devices then I can remember. I dont see why you need to go "Jailbreaking" your phone just to squeeze an extra hour of life on the battery, or to completely clear your RAM for smoother operation. With the Lumia which I own and have experience in both OS I find battery life way longer I can go over 6 hours heavy duty use facebook, youtube and twitter etc. I cant do the same on an Android phone an example of such Samsung Galaxy S4 come to mind. Also my Lumia is waaaay faster in regards response time, browsing, opening and closing apps. Why does Android make you go through a maze of stuff in order for you to completely close an app, with Lumia Black update over 6 months back you got the lovely "X" icon to fully close apps. Also you go to background apps and block all the ones you don't want to run. You go back to the same settings on Android and close the app, yes the app is closed until you restart your phone and the app runs again in the background. Its like groundhog day with the Android. Restart the Lumia and the blocked apps stay blocked. I used Cyanogen Mod using ClockWork mod and if your not experienced in these things you can screw up your phone. I have used Odin many times for people coming to me with bricked phones to flash the original firmware back to their phones. Cut out the middle man, the playing with ROMs and just use Windows Phone. You don't need to flash, jailbreak or Pratt around with it. Is Microsoft in your pocket.
    08-11-2014 09:24 PM
    08-11-2014 09:50 PM
    Windows Phone growth took a hit in 2013-2014 because of Nokia's stupidity, i.e. missing out on the mid-range wave, failing to release a proper Lumia 920 successor in a timely fashion, releasing Nokia X and diluting Lumia's hold on the low-end, etc. If the Microsoft and its mobile division get their horses in order, they'll be able to recoup and bring Windows Phone back on the growth track, especially if they make a genuine push in the middle and upper-middle end with L730 and L830, respectively.
    08-11-2014 09:54 PM
    Them are custom roms he's talking about the stock rom you get when you buy the phone plus android is to fragmented go buy 7 or 8 android phone from different. OEMs and the will have different versions of android on the most of the cheap android have no chance in hell of a upgrade and when you get it and you try to install the apps you want you find out it wont work for your version and dont say just get a high end model cuz not everyone one can afford one and not everybody want to sign a two year contract almost every WP will get upgraded only 20% of android phones will
    08-11-2014 09:57 PM
    almost every WP will get upgraded only 20% of android phones will
    My Titan II was under a year old and I didn't get WP 8 when it came out. And yes I'm bitter about it.
    08-11-2014 11:19 PM
    My Titan II was under a year old and I didn't get WP 8 when it came out. And yes I'm bitter about it.
    But it did get Tango and then 7.8. A lot of Androids don't even see 1 update much less 2 or 3. Yes, I know it sucked because the development came to a crashing halt and users were left twisting in the breeze. There should've been massive credits for existing users to upgrade.

Sent from my LG G-Pro via the WPCentral Android app
    Visa Declined likes this.
    08-12-2014 09:09 AM
    Them are custom roms he's talking about the stock rom you get when you buy the phone plus android is to fragmented go buy 7 or 8 android phone from different. OEMs and the will have different versions of android on the most of the cheap android have no chance in hell of a upgrade and when you get it and you try to install the apps you want you find out it wont work for your version and dont say just get a high end model cuz not everyone one can afford one and not everybody want to sign a two year contract almost every WP will get upgraded only 20% of android phones will
    While there is some truth to this statement, Android OEMs are trying to somewhat resolve this issue. A good example would be the Moto G or Moto E which cost less than $150 and get the latest updates.

Android has it's shares of faults and flaws but Windows Phone isn't perfect either, remember the Windows Phone 7 disaster? Sure you do.

Plus even if an Android device stops getting updates there are ways to get some of the latest goodies, such as through the Play Store or maybe through Custom ROMs.

But when a Windows Phone reaches EOL status, you can't do much about it.

HTC 8S just recently reached EOL and so did Lumia 810(somewhat).

As far as app compatibility with different versions of Android goes, Android does a better job at it than Windows Phone.

Skype doesn't work anymore for Windows Phone 7 however continues to work with Android 2.3 and I could point out more examples.

But it did get Tango and then 7.8. A lot of Androids don't even see 1 update much less 2 or 3. Yes, I know it sucked because the development came to a crashing halt and users were left twisting in the breeze. There should've been massive credits for existing users to upgrade.

Sent from my LG G-Pro via the WPCentral Android app
    This is an interesting phenomenon on the WPCentral forums, whenever someone criticizes Windows Phone you guys immediately start bashing Android.

Just a heads up, most older versions of Android have more functionality than the latest Windows Phone 8.1, plus Google works on backporting applications for older versions such as the Google Now Launcher or Hangouts.

And as far as my statement about older versions of Android having more functionality than the latest version of Windows Phone goes, you can't disagree with that.
    08-15-2014 10:11 AM
    "And as far as my statement about older versions of Android having more functionality than the latest version of Windows Phone goes, you can't disagree with that."

Really? It wasn't until FroYo that you got hotspot. I'll just leave it there since I've lready made my case.

Sent from my iPhone using WPCentral Forums
    08-15-2014 10:22 AM
    "And as far as my statement about older versions of Android having more functionality than the latest version of Windows Phone goes, you can't disagree with that."

Really? It wasn't until FroYo that you got hotspot. I'll just leave it there since I've lready made my case.

First of all I wasn't talking about ancient versions, I apologize for not making myself clear but when I said older versions I meant versions that ran on the majority of devices, in this case being Jellybean or Ice Cream Sandwich(possibly Gingerbread as well).

But your case is quite weak, we got WiFi Hotspot in Froyo? Froyo was launched before Windows Phone even existed. So I don't understand what you are trying to say here.

I could point out that Windows Phone didn't get a notification center until the 8.1 release, nearly 4 years after the inception.

But nonetheless let's not talk about features that have been added. Even if you own a low-end Android 4.0 or 4.1 device you have both more functionality and apps available than the latest Windows Phone 8.1, if you want some extended features of Android 4.2 or above you have them in the form of launchers and apps.

I like Windows Phone but hate when you guys start hating on Android. A lot of the issues on Android are exaggerated and often they have fixes or workarounds.

I rest my case. Stop hating.
    08-15-2014 01:50 PM
    First of all I wasn't talking about ancient versions, I apologize for not making myself clear but when I said older versions I meant versions that ran on the majority of devices, in this case being Jellybean or Ice Cream Sandwich(possibly Gingerbread as well).

But your case is quite weak, we got WiFi Hotspot in Froyo? Froyo was launched before Windows Phone even existed. So I don't understand what you are trying to say here.

I could point out that Windows Phone didn't get a notification center until the 8.1 release, nearly 4 years after the inception.

But nonetheless let's not talk about features that have been added. Even if you own a low-end Android 4.0 or 4.1 device you have both more functionality and apps available than the latest Windows Phone 8.1, if you want some extended features of Android 4.2 or above you have them in the form of launchers and apps.

I like Windows Phone but hate when you guys start hating on Android. A lot of the issues on Android are exaggerated and often they have fixes or workarounds.

You really need to check your history. WP was released in 2010, same as FroYo. I don't hate Android, look at my sig. I am proudly OS-agnostic.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-15-2014 02:40 PM

08-15-2014 02:45 PM
    Why have work arounds. Never had to do that with either ios or WP. I have alot of android phones, and there were always issues etc with them. The windows phone os is way more polished and functional than any of my android powered phones.
    fatclue_98 and Laura Knotek like this.
    08-15-2014 02:47 PM
    I love how even a thread about the weather in Siberia turns into WP vs. Android.

tgp and manwe like this.
    08-15-2014 02:53 PM
    I love how even a thread about the weather in Siberia turns into WP vs. Android.
    You know that Google, along with carrier reps, cause the harsh winter weather in Siberia, don't you? It's one of the tactics they're using to try to kill WP.
    fatclue_98 and Laura Knotek like this.
    08-15-2014 03:16 PM
    Going back on topic now, I hadn't fully read the article in the first place but just completed it and have realized that what this person says somewhat makes sense.

Microsoft has always been one of my favorite companies and a lot of their services really appealed to me but today they face a negative reputation for almost everything, from Windows 8 to Internet Explorer and to Xbox One(for not being powerful enough to support 1080p)

And now...despite the fact that Microsoft's existing services aren't thriving they continue to support an OS that people are straight up not even wiling to try! They constantly keep repeating the "mobile first" slogan when they should be improving the services that matter more to people.

Killing Windows Phone would be somewhat of a shame as I do like the OS but in it's current state it really offers barely any advantages over Android and iOS.

Plus Microsoft hasn't been able to convince the majority of customers and developers to actively support Windows Phone and any attempts made by Microsoft to improve the app condition (such as by allowing Android apps) is met with harsh abuse from the Windows community.

Killing Windows Phone might be sad for those that purchased it but will probably help Microsoft improve it's other services.

What do you guys think?
    08-15-2014 03:26 PM
    Going back on topic now, I hadn't fully read the article in the first place but just completed it and have realized that what this person says somewhat makes sense.

Microsoft has always been one of my favorite companies and a lot of their services really appealed to me but today they face a negative reputation for almost everything, from Windows 8 to Internet Explorer and to Xbox One(for not being powerful enough to support 1080p)

And now...despite the fact that Microsoft's existing services aren't thriving they continue to support an OS that people are straight up not even wiling to try! They constantly keep repeating the "mobile first" slogan when they should be improving the services that matter more to people.

Killing Windows Phone would be somewhat of a shame as I do like the OS but in it's current state it really offers barely any advantages over Android and iOS.

Plus Microsoft hasn't been able to convince the majority of customers and developers to actively support Windows Phone and any attempts made by Microsoft to improve the app condition (such as by allowing Android apps) is met with harsh abuse from the Windows community.

Killing Windows Phone might be sad for those that purchased it but will probably help Microsoft improve it's other services.

What do you guys think?
    Killing Windows Phone would mean throwing some 40-50 *million* users under the bus...assuming that in the following year another 15-20 million users don't sign on, which they likely will given how many OEMs are entering the market now with WP.

So cancelling it would be a horrible idea and might even impact the number of subscribers on their services. Remember, unlike iOS or Android, it's on Windows Phone where Microsoft services get front and center treatment. From the first moment you'll have to sign onto (or use) a Microsoft Account, and from there, your life orbits around Microsoft's service offerings.

Which leads to my second point, unlike Android, Windows Phone only had one serious OEM backing it in 2013-2014, i.e. Nokia. However much mass Nokia can drive on its own, it's still Nokia vs. Samsung, HTC, Sony, LG, Acer and a plethora of other OEMs, e.g. Micromax, Karbonn, Hi Sense, Xiaomi, etc. I don't know how many Windows Phones consumers could possibly pick up in the market if about 97% of the supply is pushed by Android, and that too at very low price points (it's only now that Microsoft's offering the WP OS for free).

Which leads to me my third point, would WP have done equally as bad if many OEMs decided to push it and if carriers, world wide, gave it as much of a serious shot as Android? You're in Pakistan so you're not entirely familiar with how much weight carriers have in places such as North America, they're often the make-or-break venues for platforms. What chance would WP even have if a carrier store can't even be bothered to have a working demo unit for users to play around with?

I think this is becoming a discussion about "let's kill Windows Phone for the sake of it" than the intrinsic qualities of the OS, and that's quite sickening to be honest. And no it's not sickening because Windows Phone might die, that'd just be disappointing, but it's sick because it illustrates just how plain stupid many people are getting. Why kill the 3rd (or 4th or 5th)? Why not push it even harder and drive more diversity and choice in the market?
    08-15-2014 04:02 PM
    Remember, unlike iOS or Android, it's on Windows Phone where Microsoft services get front and center treatment. From the first moment you'll have to sign onto (or use) a Microsoft Account, and from there, your life orbits around Microsoft's service offerings.
    That's the key right there. On iOS and Android, Microsoft's services are optional, and not default. On WP, you have little other options.

OTOH, how valuable are those WP users to Microsoft? Most of their revenue comes from business customers, very few of whom use WP (1%). So is the cash that Microsoft is hemorrhaging on WP worth it? If a lot of their revenue comes from businesses, almost none of whom use WP, what's the point of WP?
    08-15-2014 04:22 PM
    That's the key right there. On iOS and Android, Microsoft's services are optional, and not default. On WP, you have little other options.

OTOH, how valuable are those WP users to Microsoft? Most of their revenue comes from business customers, very few of whom use WP (1%). So is the cash that Microsoft is hemorrhaging on WP worth it? If a lot of their revenue comes from businesses, almost none of whom use WP, what's the point of WP?
    The point should be to make WP the go-to enterprise device like BlackBerry was in the mid to late 2000s. With Office, OneDrive and Lync integration and VPN capability, why the bleep not?
    Laura Knotek and tgp like this.
    08-15-2014 04:32 PM
104 12345