How would you feel if Microsoft went Nokia only for Windows Phone?

EssThree

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
The recent news of Huawei pulling out of WP, and HTC's recent announcement of the One M8 for Windows got me thinking about it. Frankly, my most used apps on Windows Phone are Nokia's, and camera is the most important factor for me when considering a phone anyway, so it wouldn't bother me at all. It would also give MS complete control from OS to hardware in the same way Apple has.

I can't really think of any cons, though I'm sure there are some. Thoughts?

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft are slow. They won't add any innovative features. They'll just talk about the office they haven't updated since wp7 and the camera that the phone has. They will never talk about the features that may interest people that are unique to the platform like rooms, lens, xbox live, tiles(how you can use them as shortcuts and customise them in various ways). It's always the plain old, look theres a nice camera, a few apps that the others have had for years and office. Then it ends with the honestly song. I think htc knew that this would happen so they decided to make their m8 on windows.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I think this would seriously reduce the market share.it is those oems who made android a os which is today.had they not released devices everybody would have gone symbian way.android would be yet another player.in India android became famous because of micromax karbonn lava xolo nd off course Samsung.they only propelled android to indomitable position where it is.Wp cannot compete with high end apple devices because here in India apple is like owning Porsche car nobody cant aspire to buy especially by paying money upfront.Apple is actually viewed some great status symbol.They are also in a way that's why premiuum.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
They haven't released anything of fruition since the acquisition. It's seems they took out their biggest ally and fired a lot of people.

I would like to see what Microsoft mobile will release. What kind of high end devices?

EssThree

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
They haven't released anything of fruition since the acquisition. It's seems they took out their biggest ally and fired a lot of people.
This is a very good point. Nokia's future has seemed to be a lot less exciting if it's true they have cancelled McLaren completely. We've heard no leaks or rumours about what they're up to regarding their next flagship. The Lumia 930 is a very nice phone, but aside from the camera I don't really know what meaningful difference it has over the 920 in day to day usage.

HTC might light a fire under their butts. But then, maybe MS will look at the HTC One M8 and think "Guess we don't need to try for a while"?

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
HTC might light a fire under their butts. But then, maybe MS will look at the HTC One M8 and think "Guess we don't need to try for a while"?

Exactly true but Microsoft isn't trying to compete with their OEMs or become another Apple. Microsoft is introducing new categories and new features on products and want their OEMs to follow and use Microsoft's software and services.
I would expect to even see products co-developed with OEMs in the future, similar to the Google Nexus series.

EssThree

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Oooo, I actually like the idea of that. The HTC 8x seemed like a very nice phone. It was purely the camera that tipped me toward getting the Lumia 920 instead. If MS and HTC (or any other OEM, really) could do something along the lines of the 8x I'd be very interested.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I seriously doubt that's the route they're taking since they lifted the OS fee to encourage other OEMs. The fact Huawei has abandoned WP is meaningless since most people weren't even aware they had an entry. Microsoft could field a Microsoft-branded phone in addition to its partners offerings. They've done so with the Surface brand in RT and Pro so it's not a stretch to think they would do the same on handsets.

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Honestly I'm not sure I would mind it but it would be a huge problem for Windows Phone market share in this respect:Android pumps out phones left and right. Apple kind of pushes out nee iterations of the iPhone once a year. If Windows Phone were to go Nokia only, would Microsoft be willing to push out enough phones to compete with Android? WP can't afford to take their time like Apple can especially without the huge app ecosystem. And also, the best Nokia hardware would need to be made available to all three major US carriers and other countries as well. This has been a major hindrance to consumers easily getting the coveted 1020, 1520, 930 type models in their hands. And lastly, Microsoft would need to give consumers what Samsung gives their consumers:eek:ptions and more options. The Galaxy line is great because their phones feature great battery life/removable battery, memory expansion, top of the line screens, and latest processors under the hood. The closest Nokia phone to meet those requirements is the 1520 which is an exclusive and is no doubt a deal killer for some because of its huge size. I think if we had parity in terms of sales, exposure, and features Windows Phone could survive and thrive as Nokia only hardware. But in the end most people like choices as opposed to being stuck with the same phone the next guy has. But as we see with the iPhone and the Samsung Galaxy line, sometimes that method pays off.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babukapyar