Ubuntu on WP devices

Lucas Pedersoli

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
I mean.... of course, it'd be great! Having a glimpse of the OS experience the N9 had (it was better that Ubuntu) on a newer hardware.
But aside that, it would be like "Hey, Android users, we are cool too". I believe it would help to get some market share. They should arrange something up with Canonical. I also believe Microsoft should try to rewind Meego and bring a partialy unlucked bootloader (no one wants to see android booting on a Lumia). I think that possibility would bring many android users to WP (even if not WP actually, they would be still buying a Microsoft product filled up with Microsoft services ;) )

I mean, Android users like customization, why don't giving out some? a nice dualboot experiencie could make a customer give WP a try, and they could end up using it. And if not they'd be using a Windows Mobile device with Ubuntu or Meego (I really want meego to make a come back) with their services, and they could just make a third party store of apps for that platform. They could just make all WP stuff slightly better and those two OS would end up being a "bait" or a "transition OS" from android to WP (a bait more than anything).

Look what Wikipedia says about Meego licensing:

"The MeeGo framework consists of a wide variety of original and upstream components, all of which are licensed under licenses certified by the Free Initiative (such as the GNU General Public License). In order to allow hardware vendors to personalize their device's user experiences, the project's license policy requires that MeeGo's reference User Experience subsystems be licensed under a Permissive free software license ? except for libraries that extend MeeGo API's (which were licensed under the GNU Lesser General Public License to help discourage fragmentation), or applications (which can be licensed separately)"

Shortly that means any company can use it :)
And they can make profit of it as it says "except for libraries that extend MeeGo API's (which were licensed under the GNU Lesser General Public License to help discourage fragmentation), or applications (which can be licensed separately)". They can make apps and they can make API's. And they'd be selling Windows devices.

As we all know M bought Nokia. Users would end up trying Windows just for the Lumia Camera app, that's the only thing needed. And if not, as I said, they'd still be on a pretty much Mcrsft Ecosystem (and a little bit of other things)

So, this is all about Meego, such a masterpiece of OS.... XD

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I doubt if it would get much interest from users. All versions of desktop Linux combined have less than 2% market share. If so few PC users bother with Linux, I doubt if mobile users would be interested in it. The majority of Android users probably have no idea that Android is a fork of Linux, nor would they bother with Linux instead of Android.

anon8855939

May 15, 2014
Visit site
I doubt if it would get much interest from users. All versions of desktop Linux combined have less than 2% market share. If so few PC users bother with Linux, I doubt if mobile users would be interested in it. The majority of Android users probably have no idea that Android is a fork of Linux, nor would they bother with Linux instead of Android.
Yes you also can say majority of Android user don't even know what Linux is

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon