What is the advantage anymore of WP over iPhone?

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Price, speed, battery life, and continued support.

Upgrade from iOS 6 to iOS 7, and you're in for a world of hurt. And if you break that precious $500 phone, you have no option to downgrade to a lesser model. If you break a 1520 and have to go jump to a 620 in the heat of the moment, your experience won't be that different aside from screen size.

osallent

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
There are no advantages to not switching. According to a recent "study" that was widely circulated in news sites, if you have an Iphone you are rich, and if you have anything else, you are poor. I wonder if switching to Iphone will magically wipe out the remainder of my student loan debt and make me that much wealthier? Could make for a good infomercial: "Tired of saving and investing your money to gain wealth? Ditch fiscal responsibility and spend your way to wealth by acquiring this shinny new Iphone."

Narse77

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
There are no advantages to not switching. According to a recent "study" that was widely circulated in news sites, if you have an Iphone you are rich, and if you have anything else, you are poor. I wonder if switching to Iphone will magically wipe out the remainder of my student loan debt and make me that much wealthier? Could make for a good infomercial: "Tired of saving and investing your money to gain wealth? Ditch fiscal responsibility and spend your way to wealth by acquiring this shinny new Iphone."

I don't get this at all. My 920 and 1020 cost me as much as the iPhone's my wife purchased. The note 4 isn't cheap. If I break a iPhone I can use a 620 just as well as I could if I broke my 1020.

mddeckie

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
I just bought my first windows phone last week. I have been a long time iPhone user starting with the 3g. Like previously stated I got tired of the same old IOS. From the 3g to the iPhone 6 nothing changed other then the looks off the icons and adding the notification center. I got bored with the design and os and Windows phone interested me the most. Plus don't forget wireless charging

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

I moved over to WP strictly because they purchased Nokia. I love Nokia hardware, and have enjoyed them since 2000. I have never had one break, or fail me (yes, run out of battery power a few times). I have traveled with them and they had until the demise of Symbian - all the stuff I needed. And design - my favourite phone is still the Nokia N95/8GB. Loved the feeling of it.

Android was the most logical choice - because it is so highly integrated with Google - search, email, calendar and constant innovations. They own the bulk of the worlds market share with no sign of slowing down. Android does not have to run on Google 'hardware' unlike Apple.

I was really hoping for the same with WP. I thought heavy Sharepoint/Xbox integration would be their saving grace - but I am waiting.

Ultimately, all platforms seem to suit my needs - phone, social media, camera, music, gps.

I'd stick around with WP - see where it takes you. You can always switch...

Mr. V

steve_w_7

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
You can switch to iPhone and pay out your *** for the the rest of your days

I don't understand this comment. I'm currently paying $20/month for my WP. If I upgrade to an iPhone, my payment will go up only $3/month. Not exactly paying out my *** -- unless you are referring to all the apps that I will be able to buy when I switch.

hambubger

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
I just made the switch to iPhone today after 4+ years with winphone. I held on so long because of the user interface I think and for some reason I had a lot of false hope that Microsoft would eventually be able to create a competitive platform that would attract developers to support it. There is honestly no reason for me to stay with winphone any more. The app gap isn't going away, the OS is moving away from what made it attractive to begin with, the hardware doesn't compare to what else is available, and Microsoft seems to care more their services on other platforms anyway. Im done waiting for Microsoft to play catch up with the other platforms while I watch all of my friends using the latest and most popular apps. It is pretty sad that Microsoft, being one of if not the biggest software companies in the world, cant even get applications like Instagram, snapchat, dropbox on their platform. That's pretty basic stuff right there. Yeah ill miss my live tiles, but im not going to miss using third party apps to use these services while dealing with potential security risks, missing features, and potential account removal.

steve_w_7

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
please wait for half years (if you have patience), then buy Microsoft Lumia 1030 (or Nokia Lumia 1030, idk which one) or 1530, 1830 (the goldfinger)

Due to exclusivity deals, there is no guarantee that any of those devices -- imaginary or otherwise -- will be available on my carrier. I am more likely than not to be disappointed after such a long wait.

GSOgymrat

May 15, 2012
Visit site
I just made the switch to iPhone today after 4+ years with winphone. I held on so long because of the user interface I think and for some reason I had a lot of false hope that Microsoft would eventually be able to create a competitive platform that would attract developers to support it. There is honestly no reason for me to stay with winphone any more. The app gap isn't going away, the OS is moving away from what made it attractive to begin with, the hardware doesn't compare to what else is available, and Microsoft seems to care more their services on other platforms anyway. Im done waiting for Microsoft to play catch up with the other platforms while I watch all of my friends using the latest and most popular apps. It is pretty sad that Microsoft, being one of if not the biggest software companies in the world, cant even get applications like Instagram, snapchat, dropbox on their platform. That's pretty basic stuff right there. Yeah ill miss my live tiles, but im not going to miss using third party apps to use these services while dealing with potential security risks, missing features, and potential account removal.

I hope you enjoy your iPhone more than I did. I tried it for a month and got rid of it.

Mike Majeski

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Does anyone really have an advantage anymore? Android has pretty much been just as functional as an iPhone for years now. It's really just a matter of personal preference.

I have the 6+ and the Lumia 635 (got it for $39 on black friday and use on Wifi only). Sure the 6+ has a nice big screen and the apps look and work great - but I'm also paying $30 a month for the EIP on T-Mobile when I could get the Lumia for $5 a month. Is the iPhone experience great - yes, but is it $25 more per month great? No.

As far as personal assistants go, Siri understands you better now, but still lacks the functionality of Cortana and Google Now. When I had the Nexus 5, I could wake up for work and I already would have a traffic alert letting me know there was an accident on the highway. Good luck getting that with Siri or Apple Maps. Cortana isn't that great yet, but she does give you alerts.

lankylars

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
[Long post ahead]

My reasons for sticking with Windows Phone (at least at the present time - I want to see how Windows 10 plays out) stem both from pluses in the ecosystem and some opposition to the primary two alternatives.

First, what I find better about Windows Phone includes:
- Live tiles: this has saved me lots of time over the past four plus years on WP. Android has upped their widget game to provide live info, but I find them less attractive and quite dissonant with regards to style and appearance. WP has everything together, smooth and sleek, and my calendar, weather report, emails and a host of other things are there as soon as I enter my phone PIN. My girlfriend, a longtime Apple user (on the 5S right now) often asks me to check things like the weather because I can get it done much faster on WP 8.1.

- Balance between high walls and free-for-all playground: for me, WP strikes the right balance between being too restrictive in terms of customization and openness (iOS) and being way too open, (Android). I recently picked up an LG G Pad tablet as a small travel tablet for reading and movies, so I've been getting to know Android recently. One thing that kills me is how inefficient the operating system is. Apps aren't auto-killed - the run indefinitely in the background even if you use the app switcher window and swipe them away. Other apps launch on their own and run in the background (why is Spotify running tasks on my tablet if I haven't launched the app since power-on?). All this contributes to an OS that needs a lot more care when using, including restarting the device periodically to free memory and kill useless background tasks.

- Togetherness of the experience: iOS accomplishes this too, but I feel that iOS 8.x is still just new wallpaper on top of the same mechanics that debuted on the first iPhone. It's too static and dead, and it's UX still feels a few years outdated, despite the much better looking color palette and the death of Jobsian skeumorphism. Android, on the other hand, is way too disjointed for my taste. There is a great disparity in the interface and operation of many apps. Some have a gear sign for settings. Others just require you to click a dropdown bar. Some apps have a back button up top, others require you to use the Android back button, and still others have both but will dump you from the app entirely if you use the Android one depending on what section of the app you're in. Widgets do not have a common appearance, so some are flat styled and others more three dimensional.

Now for my more "moral" arguments.

I am not a fan of Google for two principle reasons:
1. They show contempt for Windows Phone users (and sometimes Microsoft product users more broadly). Dropping support for apps on Windows Phone after Google buys them or becomes a backer (Waze being the biggest example), changing calendar sync technology to exclude Windows users and then dragging their feet for ages as to whether they'll let Microsoft add support, etc etc. I do not like this behavior. There is a way to compete without being a jerk about it.
2. Google exists solely to make money off of your data. Despite their claims to the contrary and all of the "good" they're working to do for humanity with their "moon shot" projects and Google X, Google makes money by selling you. Every time I add an app or take action on my Android tablet, I can practically feel my data being parceled up and sent away to some bidder. Do Apple and Microsoft take your data? Yes they do, but it is almost always for their internal uses.

I am not a fan of Apple for two principle reasons:
1. Though it's toned down a bit since Android leapt ahead of iOS in market share and since Samsung's "Next Big Thing" campaign has blunted a little of Apple's technological superiority claims, I still find Apple fans to in general be an annoying and ill-informed bunch. Product loyalty is fine, so I don't begrudge them that, but unlike Android, WP, BB or other tech users, Apple fans are a herd of devoted, crusade-like people who engage in fingers-in-ears shouting match "discussions" when one talks about technology and fails to properly revere Apple or offers any critique. This is a generalization about the most polarizing of users, of course; the vast majority of users of any OS are normal people. I just find Apple's most fervent fans to be the least informed, least well-reasoned, and most annoying.
2. Tied to that, I still find Apple to be an incredibly self-absorbed company. Disclaimer: my first smartphone was an iPhone 3G, which I enjoyed for two years before switching to a Samsung running WP7. At the start, I didn't mind being associated with Apple and the coolest tech. But as that time wore on, I grew increasingly tired of the posture that Apple, and Jobs in particular, took as being a wonderful gift to mankind from the gods, beyond blemish, fault, or reproach. The treat user complaints as though the user is always at fault and is of lesser intelligence. That attitude permeates the company and continues to this day, despite more recent appeals from Cook that they make decisions based on what's best for humanity. As if. Tell that to your $100b+ cash pile.

Really long post, but I wanted to take a break from work and decided to go ahead and chip in with my 22 cents.

jonnaver

Banned
Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
I am not a fan of Google for two principle reasons:
1. They show contempt for Windows Phone users (and sometimes Microsoft product users more broadly). Dropping support for apps on Windows Phone after Google buys them or becomes a backer (Waze being the biggest example), changing calendar sync technology to exclude Windows users and then dragging their feet for ages as to whether they'll let Microsoft add support, etc etc. I do not like this behavior. There is a way to compete without being a jerk about it.

Just to comment on this part,
If you were a company, would you spend the resources to support a platform with a low user base? Following your logic, Google wouldn't support iOS either with Google apps, but they do. The customer support from two different banks both told me they won't make a WP app because of the low number of users. Why is what Google deciding any different than what a ton of other companies are deciding?

Microsoft themselves support MS apps on android and iOS more than their own mobile operating system. If that's not a clear indication of my point I don't know what is.

Google puts resources into developing services for successful operating systems like iOS. MS is doing the same on android and iOS. This is business.

hidayat225

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Business is business. However from a business standpoint, at this rate, WP would never succeed. If Cortana is shared throughout every OS.......

There would be absolutely no reason to not switch to an opposing OS.

I mean really, even Apple and Android has arguably released colourful schemes for their OS which reminds me a lot of our fav. OS. No exclusive for this platform, no more uniqueness. How am I suppose to convince anyone to buy a WP for now? "Oh we have kid's room!"

jonnaver

Banned
Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
Hard to say. We've lived through not just a few years like on mobile, but several decades of an OS duopoly on desktops, so maybe we're looking at a duopoly being the case on mobile.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon