Why do so many people say WP is good for first smartphones?

EBUK

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
The reason people say it is that it's an interface with big, bright icons.
My icons are smaller on WP than on Android thanks to the ability to resize them. Combined with being able to reposition the tiles, this makes WP much more customisable than Android.

iOS and Android and Windows Phone are pretty easy to set up after setting up when your apps from the Play Store they show up on your home screen, on both iOS and Android making it easier for people to reach their favourite apps.
Having app icons appear automatically on the homescreen can be very annoying, but fortunately Android allows you to turn this function off. I prefer WP's way NOT placing tiles on the screen.

But of course, different people like different things... It's been said before, but it's worth repeating: use whatever works best for you.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Unless you could logically disprove of what I've said you can't call BS. Also I have used Windows Phone devices, I haven't used Samsung devices a whole lot though but Samsung devices do have an "Easy Mode" which essentially makes it easier to use than any other OS out there.

My point was that Windows Phone, may be easy to use, but not as easy to use as you guys make it out to be.

What makes iOS easier than Android and Windows Phone is the fact that it is basically just a sea of icons, of which some are live and the icons arrange automatically by the time you downloaded them. Thing could get more complicated if you got into iOS widgets, but that's another story.

Nonetheless Android works much the same way and when you set up the phone and download applications from the Play Store end up on your homescreen, so that you don't constantly have to go into the app tray. This setup is almost exactly like iOS! Thus easier to use, again if you got into widgets then it would become more complicated but Android doesn't force you to use widgets!

Also you can disable automatic app pinning on home screen from the Play Store, but this is a very helpful feature for less tech savvy individuals.

Windows Phone just an year ago was a terribly clustered OS, and people even then believed it was easier to use and I don't see how.

Windows Phone basically forced you to pin live tiles to your home screen, because if you didn't good luck to receiving notification (as there was no notification centre), also you had to set up notifications for the lock screen(something you don't have to do on android or iOS) and lastly that settings app was a hell of a mess. Not to mention the Windows Phone Store which is a mess compared to the Play Store or iOS store(you can't easy Email a dev, can't easily find other apps the dev has made and the UI just ain't as intuitive).

Since then some progress has been made, a notification centre has been added but still there is no automatic way for app pinning, you still have to set up lock screen notifications and the store still ain't as good.

In fact the UI is so "alien" to people using Android or iOS, or even BlackBerry, that I lended my phone to a friend to text and he couldn't even figure out how to send it on his Windows Phone!(because the "send" button was located at an odd place)

I'll let your convoluted missive speak for itself ... ' ... because the "send" button was located at an odd place ... '

& YES, I do disapprove of what you've said.

Bottom Line - an entry level Windows Phone is much more functional than an entry level (cheaper) Android phone, which could / would / should probably be the weapon of choice for a noob. There's NO such thing as an entry level iPhone (iPhone 5C ?), they're all relatively expensive.

You've lost sight of the original premise - First Smartphone. SMH :eck: :shocked: :cool:

Last edited:

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Bottom Line - an entry level Windows Phone is much more functional than an entry level (cheaper) Android phone, which could / would / should probably be the weapon of choice for a noob.

An entry level Windows Phone is much more functional than an entry level Android phone? Lol, you really need to get off the Microsoft Kool Aid.

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
An entry level Windows Phone is much more functional than an entry level Android phone? Lol, you really need to get off the Microsoft Kool Aid.

I'll support that statement, and if you look at my track record, I am not on the Microsoft Kool Aid (aside from WP, I dislike the company, use a Macbook, and haven't used a Windows PC in years).

If you really want to compare the HTC 8S, Nokia Lumia 520, 525, 530, 535, 620 to any Alcatel, Pantech, LG, or Sony entry level device piece of garbage be my guest. But it would be an exercise in futility, because no entry Android smart phone aside from MAYBE the Moto G even comes close to the entry level Windows Phone devices. My boyfriend has the basic Sony Xperia as did a co-worker, and they're slower than molasses.

travis_valkyrie

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
i chose because metro ui... but microsoft is killing it

I dont know what will be my next smartphone

Same. After staying with the platform for 4 years I never thought I'd switch to another platform... well not yet anyway nor planning to, but I recently bought a blackberry z3 for the experience, and I must say this is what android should've been. Sure it's not for the first time smartphone users, but blackberry of today definitely brings out that inner techie in terms of installing leaks and sideloading apps (WP is quite straight forward, but this is a step up challenge). Still not recommended for a daily driver if you're into apps, as running android apps won't take full advantage of native functions, so you're def gonna miss out on a lot of notifications.

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
I'll support that statement, and if you look at my track record, I am not on the Microsoft Kool Aid (aside from WP, I dislike the company, use a Macbook, and haven't used a Windows PC in years).

If you really want to compare the HTC 8S, Nokia Lumia 520, 525, 530, 535, 620 to any Alcatel, Pantech, LG, or Sony entry level device piece of garbage be my guest. But it would be an exercise in futility, because no entry Android smart phone aside from MAYBE the Moto G even comes close to the entry level Windows Phone devices. My boyfriend has the basic Sony Xperia as did a co-worker, and they're slower than molasses.

That is a completely genuine point. One reason why Windows Phones can be more easily recommended is because there are a limited number of entry level devices which ensure nearly identical software experiences.

In Android the choice stretches much further and makes it harder to make a decision, you could get an extremely slow and complicated phone like the Samsung or Sony devices you people mention or a good quality and easy to use Moto E or G.

And on devices like the Moto E or G, the software is just as easy to use as Windows Phone, if not significantly easier.

But yes choice is a factor, and the limited number of low end Windows Phones definitely is a benefit for people new to smart phones.

However as Microsoft works with more OEMs on Windows Phone, the standard will likely fall and the choice will be nearly infinite much like Android(if WP doesn't fail before that).

Again, what MDK22(or whatever his name was) said about low end Windows Phone being more functional than low end Android devices is still untrue. But your point may we'll be logical and reasoned.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon