Order <a target="_blank" href="/e?link=https%3A%2F%2Fafflnk.microsoft.com%2Fc%2F159229%2F433017%2F7593%3FsubId1%3DUUwpUdUbU27%26subId2%3Ddwp%26url%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Fwww.microsoft.com%252Fen-us%252Fp%252Fsurface-go%252F8V9DP4LNKNSZ&amp;token=Br6VPTNo">Microsoft Surface Go</a>   <a href="/e?link=http%3A%2F%2Fadfarm.mediaplex.com%2Fad%2Fck%2F127424%3FsubID%3DUUwpUdUbU27%26MPRE%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.dell.com%252Fen-us%252Fshop%252Fdell-laptops%252Fxps-13-laptop%252Fspd%252Fxps-13-9360-laptop&amp;token=zLmQ9gPA">Dell XPS 13</a>
11-30-2014 11:32 AM
52 123
tools
    Where is my lumia icon then?
    I am from India.
    Nokia Lumia 928.

The Icon was a 928 in a Verizon package by Contract between maker and carrier.

Nokia Lumia 928 Price, Specifications & Features | Nokia Mobiles on Sulekha
    11-27-2014 10:13 AM
    isn't the us one of the biggest markets and therefore very important?
    I don't think so. Nokia in her best days had more than 40% of market share globally and was No. 1 mobile manufacturer in the world but was never big in the US.
    DJCBS likes this.
    11-27-2014 10:16 AM
    Nokia Lumia 928.

The Icon was a 928 in a Verizon package by Contract between maker and carrier.

Nokia Lumia 928 Price, Specifications & Features | Nokia Mobiles on Sulekha
    No it wasn't. The 928 was a 920 variant like the 925, but exclusive to Verizon (and commissioned by them). Verizon also saved a fraction of a cent on each one by removing the connection between the FM tuner and headphone jack, rendering it inoperable.

The Icon (929) was the Verizon version of the 930, which then released internationally some time later.

The 920, 1020, 1520 have all been AT&T exclusives in the US. 1520 had storage cut and Qi charging removed as well.

I think the 925 had an exclusive window as well.

The HTC M84W had a exclusive window on Verizon at launch here in the US.

The USA's hat usually gets it even worse than we do.
    11-27-2014 10:25 AM
    here in Brazil we have all Lumia models, unlocked, and you can easily buy in any store!

we were one of the firsts to receive the 730 and short after the 830, from where I'm typing right now!

there's also lots of ads here...
    Last edited by Guytronic; 11-27-2014 at 11:10 AM.
    11-27-2014 11:00 AM
    isn't the us one of the biggest markets and therefore very important?
    Define 'biggest'

Biggest - geographically / land mass.
    Biggest - population.
    Biggest - population density (people per square kilometer.)
    Biggest - revenue.

Biggest, without qualification, is meaningless.
    11-27-2014 11:41 AM
    No it wasn't. The 928 was a 920 variant like the 925, but exclusive to Verizon (and commissioned by them). Verizon also saved a fraction of a cent on each one by removing the connection between the FM tuner and headphone jack, rendering it inoperable.

The Icon (929) was the Verizon version of the 930, which then released internationally some time later.

The 920, 1020, 1520 have all been AT&T exclusives in the US. 1520 had storage cut and Qi charging removed as well.

I think the 925 had an exclusive window as well.

The HTC M84W had a exclusive window on Verizon at launch here in the US.

The USA's hat usually gets it even worse than we do.
    I stand corrected.

I always mix up the Verizon phones, as I don't look at them much. As I keep an eye on T-Mo because their phones work on WIND (AWS Freq.).

Yes in most cases Canadians get Royally screded over when it comes to Windows Phones, but it was a nice surprise when Rogers sold the Pentaband version of the 1020 that I bought and took to WIND.
    11-27-2014 11:41 AM
    Microsoft doesn't seem to know what it wants to do.

It's heading in the right directing with the 535, though.

* Markets that subsidize, like the USA need flagship releases often. Microsoft is way behind apple and Google here.
    * Markets like India, China need low-end devices that offer acceptable performances.
    * All phones SHOULD be available, ATLEAST ONLINE, from the Microsoft Store for anyone who wants to purchase it, regardless of their location. If someone wants to buy a windows phone, Microsoft is simply pushing him to android or Google by not giving him the option of doing so. EBay prices are always inflated for new releases. The 735, which I want to buy for my girl, is still in the range of $400 on eBay, which is the only way I can have it delivered to my country. Microsoft is keeping me suspended, until I decide to give up and get an android for cheaper.
    etad putta likes this.
    11-27-2014 12:07 PM
    With so many Carriers now in the BYOD deal, Microsoft should take advantage of this for North America.

They do not have to carry in store unlocked phones, but so easily just have every model available online able to ship to any place.

Still make exclusive deals like the Icon for VZW, but the second the carrier stops selling push any units left , as unlocked.

Take a page from Google and the Nexus device, and Apple and their unlocked version.
    11-27-2014 01:15 PM
    "Microsoft is giving importance to US when they have a bad reputation there and a very small amount of people use windows phone there. They could look at the rest of the world where they are considered a great software and hardware maker. "

Microsoft products are US centric with limited capabilities outside of the USA, Apple and Android focus worldwide, app store, core software, hardware differences often sighted as the reason the Phone is doing so poorly are in fact on par, simply put the software is too limited to be popular or even useful in most cases outside of the USA
    mikey2toes likes this.
    11-27-2014 01:16 PM
    US sets the trends...
    11-27-2014 01:41 PM
    The only way they'll make real money...you wont if you sell to tiny islands,third world countries.you have to go after the biggest ones
    was this an internal Microsoft note ??
    11-27-2014 02:02 PM
    One word: Seattle
    11-27-2014 02:15 PM
    I see no reason why microsoft shouldn't, they are working with great effort to be the best at where it was originally started in the first place in the US.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk
    11-27-2014 02:23 PM
    Finland is the birthplace of nokia, need I say more?
    Finland is still the home of Nokia as Nokia is still an independent company.
    Finland is now also the home of Microsoft Mobile...well...for now anyway. Much like Sony ended up moving Sony Mobile back to Japan, I'm pretty sure sooner or later Microsoft will bring Microsoft Mobile (assuming that will last much longer) back to the US.

Microsoft has always given priority to the US market. Always. It's nothing new. It's been like this for more than 20 years.
    That's why they ended up the way they did. As the US kept shunning Microsoft away, Microsoft kept neglecting Europe (for example). Because of that, Microsoft ended up casting away European customers too.
    Luckily for them, OSX never reached Windows quality and Apple practices insanely high prices in Europe. So people kept with Windows. Otherwise they would have had an even worst time. But as soon as people got operating systems in other devices that were not Windows (iOS and Android) people went there. The association with Microsoft is still sending away many potential Windows Phone users, and Microsoft only has itself to blame.
    11-27-2014 09:32 PM
    Where is my lumia icon then?
    I am from India.
    Can't you buy the 930? if so, that is the icon. if not, buy an unlocked 930 from some other place and pop in your sim card. Done. I never buy phones from my service provider as they have none of the good windows phones. I just buy new unlocked models from other places and fire it up on my network. Easy. In these days of global markets where a phone is released, or sold is of little importance to me or than if it has my GSM frequencies on it.
    11-28-2014 04:51 AM
    One word: Seattle
    Nah, not seattle, that's where every ****** and their mother sits in starbucks with their I(whatever) and pretends to work. However they are all unemployed hipsters. ha ha
    11-28-2014 04:53 AM
    Nah, not seattle, that's where every ****** and their mother sits in starbucks with their I(whatever) and pretends to work. However they are all unemployed hipsters. ha ha
    Really? I spent a large portion of my life in Seattle and found it to be made up of good, hard working people like the vast majority of most cities in the world.
    11-28-2014 06:02 AM
    Really? I spent a large portion of my life in Seattle and found it to be made up of good, hard working people like the vast majority of most cities in the world.
    It was a joke. Relax.
    11-28-2014 07:00 AM
    It was a joke. Relax.
    Guess i missed the humor, better luck next time.
    11-28-2014 07:13 AM
    Guess i missed the humor, better luck next time.
    The big ha ha at the end was not enough? Starbucks originated from Seattle, and here yes all the lame hipsters are in Starbucks all day with their macbooks looking like they are writing the next major screen play.
    11-28-2014 09:01 AM
    I see no reason why microsoft shouldn't, they are working with great effort to be the best at where it was originally started in the first place in the US.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk
    There's nothing wrong with a US company giving precedence to the US, but that doesn't mean it has to treat so many other countries as a mere afterthought, including other first world countries. That is the real problem. WP is more successful in most European countries than in the US despite receiving less attention from Microsoft. With a similar level of attention as in the US, market share would be even bigger, which would help gain attention from OEMs and developers, indirectly helping the US market as well, not to mention the additional revenue for Microsoft. They are hurting themselves the most by forgetting their international customers.
    11-28-2014 09:33 AM
    The big ha ha at the end was not enough? Starbucks originated from Seattle, and here yes all the lame hipsters are in Starbucks all day with their macbooks looking like they are writing the next major screen play.
    Please clarify your point. Are you saying Microsoft isn't focused on the US because everyone in Seattle is in Starbucks being a hipster on their Macbooks writing movies? Makes no sense?
    11-28-2014 10:32 AM
    Hey there...
    Thanks everyone for staying civil and mostly on topic here.
    11-28-2014 11:14 AM
    Last time I checked Europe does not consist of tiny third world islands, but most countries here still get second rate treatment by MS: Cortana, most additional Bing features, physical Microsoft stores, a language policy that works in multilingual countries and many other things, all missing.
    I can only imagine how bad the situation must be in actual tiny third world island nations...
    Second rate treatment?

First, it's not shocking that they have released Cortana in the US first. The majority of Microsoft is US English speaking, after all. Second, yeah, sorry, it takes time for language translation, regionalization of services/recommendations, news, etc.

You act like they don't give a **** as opposed to 'this takes time' to do (and do it right). So they don't want to release a half-baked Cortana experience to the world due to not wanting to be judged on it.

Even Microsoft Stores, there are like a 100 across the US. Most people here do not have access to them either. Once again, they are testing markets. You know what would be worse? Opening thousands of stores only to have them close.

Microsoft is moving cautiously these days. I do not disagree with that policy. They are more interested in getting it right, then just releasing something out there. As a result, things take longer, but when you are in distant third, you cannot afford to make big mistakes.
    etad putta and Guytronic like this.
    11-28-2014 11:30 AM
    Microsoft is giving importance to US when they have a bad reputation there and a very small amount of people use windows phone there. They could look at the rest of the world where they are considered a great software and hardware maker.
    I was just saying that most of Microsoft's services like Bing rewards Xbox music Xbox video are not available outside US
    11-28-2014 11:55 AM
52 123