Why is Microsoft paying so much attention to the US?

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Nokia Lumia 928.

The Icon was a 928 in a Verizon package by Contract between maker and carrier.

Nokia Lumia 928 Price, Specifications & Features | Nokia Mobiles on Sulekha

No it wasn't. The 928 was a 920 variant like the 925, but exclusive to Verizon (and commissioned by them). Verizon also saved a fraction of a cent on each one by removing the connection between the FM tuner and headphone jack, rendering it inoperable.

The Icon (929) was the Verizon version of the 930, which then released internationally some time later.

The 920, 1020, 1520 have all been AT&T exclusives in the US. 1520 had storage cut and Qi charging removed as well.

I think the 925 had an exclusive window as well.

The HTC M84W had a exclusive window on Verizon at launch here in the US.

The USA's hat usually gets it even worse than we do.

nessinhaw

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
here in Brazil we have all Lumia models, unlocked, and you can easily buy in any store!

we were one of the firsts to receive the 730 and short after the 830, from where I'm typing right now!

there's also lots of ads here...

Last edited by a moderator:

EBUK

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
isn't the us one of the biggest markets and therefore very important?

Define 'biggest'

Biggest - geographically / land mass.
Biggest - population.
Biggest - population density (people per square kilometer.)
Biggest - revenue.

Biggest, without qualification, is meaningless.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
No it wasn't. The 928 was a 920 variant like the 925, but exclusive to Verizon (and commissioned by them). Verizon also saved a fraction of a cent on each one by removing the connection between the FM tuner and headphone jack, rendering it inoperable.

The Icon (929) was the Verizon version of the 930, which then released internationally some time later.

The 920, 1020, 1520 have all been AT&T exclusives in the US. 1520 had storage cut and Qi charging removed as well.

I think the 925 had an exclusive window as well.

The HTC M84W had a exclusive window on Verizon at launch here in the US.

The USA's hat usually gets it even worse than we do.

I stand corrected.

I always mix up the Verizon phones, as I don't look at them much. As I keep an eye on T-Mo because their phones work on WIND (AWS Freq.).

Yes in most cases Canadians get Royally screded over when it comes to Windows Phones, but it was a nice surprise when Rogers sold the Pentaband version of the 1020 that I bought and took to WIND.

Silver Wind

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft doesn't seem to know what it wants to do.

It's heading in the right directing with the 535, though.

* Markets that subsidize, like the USA need flagship releases often. Microsoft is way behind apple and Google here.
* Markets like India, China need low-end devices that offer acceptable performances.
* All phones SHOULD be available, ATLEAST ONLINE, from the Microsoft Store for anyone who wants to purchase it, regardless of their location. If someone wants to buy a windows phone, Microsoft is simply pushing him to android or Google by not giving him the option of doing so. EBay prices are always inflated for new releases. The 735, which I want to buy for my girl, is still in the range of $400 on eBay, which is the only way I can have it delivered to my country. Microsoft is keeping me suspended, until I decide to give up and get an android for cheaper.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
With so many Carriers now in the BYOD deal, Microsoft should take advantage of this for North America.

They do not have to carry in store unlocked phones, but so easily just have every model available online able to ship to any place.

Still make exclusive deals like the Icon for VZW, but the second the carrier stops selling push any units left , as unlocked.

Take a page from Google and the Nexus device, and Apple and their unlocked version.

Lumiamike

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
"Microsoft is giving importance to US when they have a bad reputation there and a very small amount of people use windows phone there. They could look at the rest of the world where they are considered a great software and hardware maker. "

Microsoft products are US centric with limited capabilities outside of the USA, Apple and Android focus worldwide, app store, core software, hardware differences often sighted as the reason the Phone is doing so poorly are in fact on par, simply put the software is too limited to be popular or even useful in most cases outside of the USA

LockOnTech

May 3, 2014
Visit site
I see no reason why microsoft shouldn't, they are working with great effort to be the best at where it was originally started in the first place in the US.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Finland is the birthplace of nokia, need I say more?

Finland is still the home of Nokia as Nokia is still an independent company.
Finland is now also the home of Microsoft Mobile...well...for now anyway. Much like Sony ended up moving Sony Mobile back to Japan, I'm pretty sure sooner or later Microsoft will bring Microsoft Mobile (assuming that will last much longer) back to the US.

Microsoft has always given priority to the US market. Always. It's nothing new. It's been like this for more than 20 years.
That's why they ended up the way they did. As the US kept shunning Microsoft away, Microsoft kept neglecting Europe (for example). Because of that, Microsoft ended up casting away European customers too.
Luckily for them, OSX never reached Windows quality and Apple practices insanely high prices in Europe. So people kept with Windows. Otherwise they would have had an even worst time. But as soon as people got operating systems in other devices that were not Windows (iOS and Android) people went there. The association with Microsoft is still sending away many potential Windows Phone users, and Microsoft only has itself to blame.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Where is my lumia icon then?
I am from India.

Can't you buy the 930? if so, that is the icon. if not, buy an unlocked 930 from some other place and pop in your sim card. Done. I never buy phones from my service provider as they have none of the good windows phones. I just buy new unlocked models from other places and fire it up on my network. Easy. In these days of global markets where a phone is released, or sold is of little importance to me or than if it has my GSM frequencies on it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte