How Far Will Windows Phone Go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeaceNik

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site
Windows Phone, undoubtedly one of the less popular operating systems, is often bombarded by technology experts.

But I wanted to gather the thoughts and opinions of you all.

What do you think Windows Phone has going for itself? Or what is Windows Phone doing wrong? How long do you think will it survive, and will it someday beat the popularity of the top dogs(iOS and Android)?

daveey

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site
Not sure, but I just got my first Windows Phone and with the advent of Windows 10 and Lumia Denim upcoming, I'm hoping it's going to be great. Whether it lasts or not, that's another thing! :)

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I think not, as long as ms keeps his ecosystem under development it wil stay a long while. Most people forget that wp users are a different kind of users. No matter what kind of wp phone you buy it can hold at least a couple of years, as same for the updates. So maybe not interesting for the younger ones and the gamers....but mote for companies and people who care about good value and safety.

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
I think it will be hard for WP in the US to EVER become dominant. But overseas i see a chance. More openminded people in the world than the US.
US is all about what does the next person has, I want that, thats why everyone has an iPhone. Why, because most people are afraid to make the wrong decision (with so many choices) and they want to be accepted.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
It is happening slowly, but it is happening. Microsoft needs WP to complete its ecosystem. They will not let it fail, they can't afford to.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
I think MS is very serious about WP. How serious?

WP have super awesome lock screen App that everyone loves to use it and for Android MS made a crappy NEXT Lockscreen app.

We have blazing fast Music , video and game hub with best users rating. With every OS upgrade it is becoming faster and faster. Thanks to that WP user no longer look for alternative Music apps.

If MS keep improving like this then soon they will become the leader in smartphone business too.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site

WP have super awesome lock screen App that everyone loves to use it and for Android MS made a crappy NEXT Lockscreen app.

We have blazing fast Music , video and game hub with best users rating. With every OS upgrade it is becoming faster and faster. Thanks to that WP user no longer look for alternative Music apps.

If MS keep improving like this then soon they will become the leader in smartphone business too.

Lol, you're being sarcastic right?

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Windows Phone, undoubtedly one of the less popular operating systems, is often bombarded by technology experts.

But I wanted to gather the thoughts and opinions of you all.

What do you think Windows Phone has going for itself? Or what is Windows Phone doing wrong? How long do you think will it survive, and will it someday beat the popularity of the top dogs(iOS and Android)?

There's already been a million threads about this.

But for me, the difference will be in Windows 10.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

While I agree in sentiment your description of the Music app is far from my experience. Try buying 5 albums that download at the same time and the thing basically dies. It really needs some serious testing.

That aside, I do think Microsoft are committed to the platform and actively trying to grow use on all fronts. People expect miracles and things to change overnight but they are doing a lot of the right things, its just hard coming from third place.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Don't know if it will ever be number one, but I do believe it will overtake Apple in the next few years. Apple is only popular in a few countries. Its Android that is the real competition. I see Alcatel is getting ready to release WP phones. Alcatel is pretty popular. Can't hurt, only help.

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
It is happening slowly, but it is happening. Microsoft needs WP to complete its ecosystem. They will not let it fail, they can't afford to.

Actually if you look at the way they're developing their services and flagship OS, they're actually setting themselves up for a future without a presence in the smartphone market. It would be more accurate to say that their business plan is leaving an ever present availability or option for Windows Phone in the market place, but one that isn't heavily reliant upon having a mobile presence. In other words they'll probably have one staple Lumia device per year and any OEMs that choose to use the OS to make a phone can do so free of charge as they have been doing. This would effectively leave Windows Phone in a passive state so that one day if the market gets bored with the current duopoly then the option for a large third contender will be there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon