"It?s a very cool train ? but no one?s sure where it?s going" - Michael Fisher

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Sadly I think Michael Fisher hit the nail pretty much on the head here.

Life on Windows Phone: same as it ever was (again) | Pocketnow

Now I know some will disagree but I'd like to keep this thread free of ******'s freely bashing me, Fisher or any other person that doesn't hail Windows Phone as the best thing since sliced cheese. And not seeing it as such does not make this another negative thread so no one needs to go there. We're all here because we love WP but it's not perfect.

xconomicron

Sep 20, 2007
Visit site
Fisher is right...in a sense of why I like WP.

Paul Thurrott on the other hand hits a bit harder with reality in terms where I feel atm with WP (as a long time user).

http://winsupersite.com/windows/its-time-mobile-first-cloud-first-windows-best

Fisher said he wrote that article in response to Thurrott's...and all the negative media out there with WP.

Anyway, I'll just leave it as this...as a long time user, I've seen many failures with MS on their mobile platform. ...and I've also seen many great things (innovative) with it over the years. Fishers article (as with all his articles) seems to be a neutral/balance approach to Windows Phone. ...which is great as there seems to be a lot of negativity surrounding WP these days...however, I can't help to think about the direction where MS wants WP to go in the near and fragile future (referring to Thurrotts article). Having an open mind and acknowledging the good and the bad with the platform is probably the best for us users atm...like Fisher kind of points out.

I'm on mobile, my WC app keeps crashing...sorry for the edits..had to do a soft reset.

Last edited:

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Yes! Oh I'm happy to see big names like him say those things. I hope it gets Microsoft moving. In the last months, I started worrying that Microsoft would do away with WP. They're really testing users' patience.

I am sure the one thing we do not have to worry about is Microsoft giving up the Ghost on Mobile or Windows Phone. Just the opposite: I see tons of signs MS is ramping things up. From addressing apps, to easing hardware requirements, removing the fee for using Windows Phone, pushing tons of devices at their strong point (entry level), and investing in the next mobile version.

We as WP users have some concerns, but MS leaving the space isn't one of them. At least not for the near future.

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I am sure the one thing we do not have to worry about is Microsoft giving up the Ghost on Mobile or Windows Phone. Just the opposite: I see tons of signs MS is ramping things up. From addressing apps, to easing hardware requirements, removing the fee for using Windows Phone, pushing tons of devices at their strong point (entry level), and investing in the next mobile version.

We as WP users have some concerns, but MS leaving the space isn't one of them. At least not for the near future.

I hope you're right. But here's how I got worried:

1. The most obvious reason is them putting iOS and Android first in the last months.
  2. Then, the one Windows for all platforms makes it easy to dump one platform if it becomes unnecessary. Because they're not abandonning the work they did on one platform as it is the same for all of them. Right now, they have Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone. They worked hard on Windows Phone and if they were to drop Windows Phone it would be a lot of work down the drain. After a while of having only one Windows, taking all the Windows Phone perks and putting them on the PC/Tablet version, it makes it easier for them to just do away with the phone.
  3. Their silence concerning WP. All their latest announcements have been made for other platforms. As Michael Fisher says, the only annoucement we've had in the last months is through a Weibo post.
  4. Important services letting go. I'm always really happy to see services updating their apps for Windows Phone or their universal apps. Shazam, Flipboard, The Chive, etc. Not services I actually use but they are a new light shone on WP's future. But Instagram, Vine, Twitter, Pinterest, it seems they all jumped ship. I don't mind using (sometimes superior) third party or web apps. But again, I'm thinking of new users. All they'll say is "Well WP is beautiful but Instagram isn't available on it". As long as this will be true, WP is not going to have the popularity for other services such as SoundCloud or banks or newspapers to even bother creating a new app.
  5. The eternal Android apps on Windows Phone rumour. If this ever happens, then WP is doomed. No company is ever going to bother to create native apps. Why bother if they can kill two birds with one stone? Once all major services and apps only update their Android version, what is the point of people buying a different looking but Android powered device? And that wouldn't even be a loss of Microsoft as they still make money with their Android licensing fees than WP itself.

I really hope 2015 proves me wrong. I've even gone so far as to consider an Android phone in the last week (even though I absolutely despise Google). But the only platform I really love is WP. To me it is the best of the best and it would be a shame if it would fail.

three_thoughts

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
MS needs windows to be successful for it's strategy of making money off services (xbox music/video, Onedrive, Skype, outlook.com, bing etc) for one simple reason:

Default behaviour.

I started using Outlook.com because windows 8 installation forced me to set one up.
I starting using Onedrive because it was preinstalled on my new windows 8 laptop and I had already been forced to create a Microsoft account.
I started using Xbox music because it was preinstalled on my new windows phone.

Now I have an xbox music pass and an office 365 subscription. If I had bought a Macbook instead of my Windows laptop, I would not be a Microsoft Customer. I wouldn't even have a Microsoft account or have a windows phone. Windows is the way in to the Microsoft ecosystem

_Emi_

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
I think it was good article, that's the reality we live in. We know WP is cool, but with so many things in the works, in other words, Windows 10. we really don't know much about what's WP future anymore.
We don't know what changes to UI it will bring and if it will have Android apps or not as rumors say. or how much integration with Desktop and tablets it will have... etc.

But I like WP and the problems he "complains" about are not something that really affect me, I don't even care about the latest phone as long as my phone keeps going until it really stops. I stopped playing videogames on a phone, and some apps are not available like snapchat or others are not updated since 2+ years ago like Kik, but I stopped really using them. Also IE doesn't affect me, I wish it had flash for some stuff but not even iOS has it. but I never find pages that don't renged well, but I don't use browser on my phone too much anyway. and when I do, I complain on either platform because sometimes it's easier to read it on a desktop.
Also I don't care about WP being on 3rd or 4th place or 10th place. it's marketshare, and I don't care who uses my OS. yeah some developers say marketshare to why they haven't developer for WP, but there are millions of millions WP users, even if others have more marketshare, WP has many users and still developers don't care. but then I probably don't or won't use their apps anyway.

I have used Android, and I really don't like it. I like the simplicity and how smooth and nice WP feels, so for me WP is still the best choice for me. I hope finally with Windows 10 everything will be fixed, on tablets and phone, because we surely need apps on tablets too.

all I know it's WP won't be ever be bad or crappy. my phone might run Windows 10 not as smooth as Win8. but it will still be cool, I only wish it was available sooner, but sometimes it's not good to rush. but I hope Windows 10 will be amazing for me. I know Windows 10 plans have slowed down completely WP development in past months, still we are getting some new fixes and nice things, but I am sure when Win10 arrives we will be happy as users. but it's obvious Windows 10 is the main target now. not Windows 8 desktop or phone.

but then again, it's true, We are not sure where this Windows train and its ecosystem is going. but I am happy on this train, looking out the window and let the air blow my hair enjoying what I have and what I can see until we arrive to Windows 10 city. ^________^

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes