The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
03-30-2015 05:22 PM
40 12
tools
    Do you think physical keyboards could help Windows Phone become a major player in enterprise?
    negative1ne and Geodude074 like this.
    01-07-2015 11:29 PM
    No. It is old-fashioned.
    steve_w_7 and ilabene like this.
    01-07-2015 11:35 PM
    Don't think they are popular enough to make a difference.
    jmshub and ilabene like this.
    01-07-2015 11:47 PM
    For the enterprise world, yes.

For the consumer world, no.

In short, if Microsoft offered phones with QWERTYs they would cannibalize sales from Blackberry, but not gain ground on iOS or Android.
    Last edited by Geodude074; 01-08-2015 at 02:32 AM.
    negative1ne, Guytronic and ilabene like this.
    01-08-2015 02:20 AM
    Yes and no. Yes, I think pkb devices will always have a market in the efficiency and productivity first space, as long as it is a solid and sensible offering, which happens to cover most of enterprise. No, because Windows Phone OS 8.1 is not optimized/may not offer enough for the efficiency and productivity first user's demands. I think once the OS reaches that caliber, any pkb device that is sound in its design can only help.
    ilabene likes this.
    01-08-2015 08:52 AM
    Because Windows Phone has such a small market share, I don't think it would be worth pursuing, besides modern virtual keyboards are at least as efficient, if not better than the best physical keyboards.
    ilabene and jmshub like this.
    01-08-2015 09:09 AM
    Physical Keyboards fit into a niche market currently occupied by Blackberries, and yes that niche happens to be in the enterprise world.

There are times I would love to have a physical keyboard attached to my 8.1 phone, however there are also times when I don't want the extra bulk of it.

I think an option to utilize Bluetooth keyboards would allow a niche market to have "covers" for the back of the Windows Phones that have a "slide-out" or "slide-out and tilt" physical keyboard that can be operated via Bluetooth. This would be the ideal situation, as it would make the nonkeyboard phone of choice available for average consumers, and allow any of the models to have an "attached" keyboard for that niche market. I am hoping that W10 for phone will take us in that direction. Perhaps not a huge increase in market share, but between the security of Windows Phone, the integration with Windows Laptops and Desktops running Windows 10, and adding in an attachable Bluetooth keyboard, it could spell doom for the Blackberry market altogether.
    k72 and ilabene like this.
    01-08-2015 09:54 AM
    The market is small but bigger than the current user base of WP. It's an interesting niche, and It'd be a good complement to the Surface, the tablet with a keyboard.
    ilabene likes this.
    01-08-2015 10:06 AM
    Physical Keyboards fit into a niche market currently occupied by Blackberries, and yes that niche happens to be in the enterprise world.
    BlackBerry is still championed as the king of Enterprise, but I wonder if we've yet hit the threshold where there are more enterprise connected iOS and Android devices than BlackBerry at this point...
    ilabene and Laura Knotek like this.
    01-08-2015 03:47 PM
    I'd love to see one with a keyboard.

The market has gotten to bland in recent years, I want some slider action again!
    k72, Laura Knotek, ilabene and 1 others like this.
    01-08-2015 05:34 PM
    I'd love to see one with a keyboard.

The market has gotten to bland in recent years, I want some slider action again!
    Amen, brother. I would so love a Lumia with a physical keyboard.
    negative1ne and ilabene like this.
    01-08-2015 05:39 PM
    Yes. I think that a physical keyboard would help WP become a major player in enterprise. If Microsoft ever releases one, I would buy it immediately.
    negative1ne and ilabene like this.
    01-08-2015 05:42 PM
    BlackBerry is still championed as the king of Enterprise, but I wonder if we've yet hit the threshold where there are more enterprise connected iOS and Android devices than BlackBerry at this point...
    BlackBerry still enjoys a 60% market share in the Enterprise arena. The fact they've opened up BES to iOS and Android shows that they're quite comfortable in this segment and are now monetizing their services.

As for the OP, it all comes down to how badly do you want to give up screen real estate. With the accuracy of WP's vkb and the robustness of its predictive text, I would not entertain a pkb on WP. BlackBerry has the qwerty keyboard down pat. Except for the old Palm Treo, nothing else has ever come close so I don't see anybody even attempting to come up with one. Two WP7 devices had physical keyboards but I found them impractical. The LG Quantum had nice chicklety keys but the layout was horrible. The Dell Venue Pro had a nice slider but the phone itself was so large that it made it very top-heavy and uncomfortable after just a few minutes. It was on this device that I finally weened myself off keyboards because the virtual one was so good.

Don't get me wrong, a pkb is great when you are trying to type when walking a jobsite and can't focus entirely on a screen or moving from one meeting to another, etc. Then again, these scenarios are the type that BlackBerry users are known for.
    jmshub, Laura Knotek and ilabene like this.
    01-08-2015 06:48 PM
    Of course, I want a physical Keyboard, I'm still using a windows phone with one.

However, if they could add Bluetooth keyboard support. I would consider upgrading.

later
    xandros9 and ilabene like this.
    01-08-2015 07:01 PM
    Physical keyboards would be great if
    1. They don't sacrifice thickness and weight.
    2. It actually helped typing. Something like a combination of the BlackBerry passport and that keyboard that goes into the screen.
    ilabene and Laura Knotek like this.
    01-08-2015 07:04 PM
    In my opinion, on screen keyboards are quicker and easier. Autocorrect and swipe make it super simple. I will never go back to a physical keyboard.
    01-08-2015 08:44 PM
    BlackBerry is dying, they're selling less than 2 million devices per quarter and falling.
    Microsoft should take that niche with a Surface Phone Qwerty Edition for the enterprise market.
    ilabene likes this.
    01-08-2015 08:55 PM
    I think a keyboard would be awkward for the Lumia line itself, but if a Surface Phone appeared with a professional focus (maybe like a more angled 930 and without loud colors we're known for) something like a cover on the tablet (i saw a concept on this once) I think they could have something new on their hands.
    ilabene likes this.
    01-08-2015 09:15 PM
    BlackBerry is dying, they're selling less than 2 million devices per quarter and falling.
    Microsoft should take that niche with a Surface Phone Qwerty Edition for the enterprise market.
    Geez, another misinformed BlackBerry Prophet of Doom. Under Chen's watch BB has gone from $1B in the red to $46MM in the black in less than 2 years. Every company should suffer a horrible death like that.
    01-08-2015 09:18 PM
    I think a keyboard would be awkward for the Lumia line itself, but if a Surface Phone appeared with a professional focus (maybe like a more angled 930 and without loud colors we're known for) something like a cover on the tablet (i saw a concept on this once) I think they could have something new on their hands.
    I think you're on to something. Let's brainstorm. How about a landscape Type-ish cover with the magnetic latch and all. With the kb closed you have a screen protector like the old Palm Tungstens. Since it's removable, you're not adding any weight or girth to the existing device.
    01-08-2015 09:23 PM
    I think you're on to something. Let's brainstorm. How about a landscape Type-ish cover with the magnetic latch and all. With the kb closed you have a screen protector like the old Palm Tungstens. Since it's removable, you're not adding any weight or girth to the existing device.
    Remember old pocket calculators? Some had flip cases on them. Something like that would be some sort of mini-Yoga.
    Wait... I'm gonna email Lenovo...😃
    MikeX74, ilabene and Kevin Rush like this.
    01-08-2015 10:08 PM
    Remember old pocket calculators? Some had flip cases on them. Something like that would be some sort of mini-Yoga.
    Wait... I'm gonna email Lenovo...
    I'll just collect the royalties, thank you.
    ilabene likes this.
    01-08-2015 10:18 PM
    BlackBerry still enjoys a 60% market share in the Enterprise arena. The fact they've opened up BES to iOS and Android shows that they're quite comfortable in this segment and are now monetizing their services.
    That's BES, not BlackBerry handsets. BES 12 also supports Windows Phone.
    jmshub and ilabene like this.
    01-08-2015 10:45 PM
    Thanks for the responses! Me, personally, I don't care for weight or bulkiness. I would love a Windows Phone with a pkb. I might mind the reduced screen size, though, but I think a slide-out, landscape pkb would suffice. But then that goes into a deeper conversation about the OS itself. As for enterprise, I just think MS is missing out dearly on this opportunity what with their various Office suites.
    01-09-2015 12:09 AM
    Geez, another misinformed BlackBerry Prophet of Doom. Under Chen's watch BB has gone from $1B in the red to $46MM in the black in less than 2 years. Every company should suffer a horrible death like that.
    When I say BlackBerry is dying I refer the hardware unit, that's what we're talking about here. BlackBerry still has a chance to survive selling enterprise software, or maybe the could find a role in the IoT market, but at least two quarters are needed to start to find out.

The profits doesn't say anything about the future and aren't a merit of Chen. BlackBerry had profits in FYQ3 because SAF is an amazing business with margins of 70%-80%, but this business is dying falling at a rate of 13%-15% per quarter as people switch to Android and iOS. They have to give up most of that profit because of the loses that generates the hardware unit.

All that was needed to come back to profitability was to downsize the hardware business, and It was Heins who did that. Heins made the deal with Foxconn to remove the inventory risk, Heins took the big losses to cancel the purchase commitments. The fruits of the Chen's work will only come in FY16 Q2, with the ramp up of BES12 in the enterprise market.
    01-09-2015 07:31 AM
40 12