06-25-2015 12:38 PM
67 123
tools
    I gave my 3 Votes, now we need the community
    02-27-2015 10:38 AM
    yes, it sucks that we had a chance to "taste" tap + pay in the US, only for Google to take it away
    Softcard went under, it wasn't successful, and Google bought their technology. Regardless of what Daniel's article told you, Google didn't take anything away from you, Softcard did.
    02-27-2015 12:32 PM
    the article told me nothing that i didn't read everywhere else.... after the google acquisition of IP and tech, what was softcard left? Google now owns the tech, and if you want to go 1 further, it's AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile's fault for wanting to control contactless payments on mobile.
    02-27-2015 12:46 PM
    Softcard went under, it wasn't successful, and Google bought their technology.
    Not only that, but I believe Softcard (ISIS) was started as a reaction to Google Wallet. The carriers wanted in on it, but ultimately failed.

Regardless of what Daniel's article told you, Google didn't take anything away from you, Softcard did.
    That's how I understand it as well. Google technically did not buy Softcard, but rather Softcard's technology. Softcard as a company is folding. Of course we don't know the fine print of the sale, but it's possible that Google had no say in whether or not Softcard remains on WP (not that their answer would have been any different ).
    02-27-2015 01:33 PM
    Softcard went under, it wasn't successful, and Google bought their technology. Regardless of what Daniel's article told you, Google didn't take anything away from you, Softcard did.
    The only thing I can say is that I wish Google would have made an app for Windows Phone. Then again, they never will.
    02-27-2015 04:51 PM
    Put in my votes.
    02-27-2015 07:52 PM
    Well in the UK we still have this to look forward to:

Zapp - The best way to pay is coming.
    TechFreak1 likes this.
    02-28-2015 05:33 PM
    There is no tap and pay solution for windows phone, and I doubt there ever will be. look at the stats. THE PREDOMINANT WINDOWS PHONES(5 series, 6 series) HAVE NO NFC READER. These phones have the markets share of windows phone. furthermore, msft doesn't seem concerned about pushing phones that have this capability.
    This, I think, is Microsoft's biggest dilemma, they're in an impossible situation. People lament that they didn't push Windows Phone Wallet enough when it was released alongside WP8.0 but I honestly can't remember if there was any real demand at the time. And since NFC was de-coupled from Wallet, that didn't help matters and relied on third parties to fill the gap.

We have to remember that Microsoft has been trying to play catch-up in the mobile space since late 2010. It wasn't until Nokia started flooding the market with a plethora of low to mid-range devices that they started to gain any global traction and it's the entry-level devices that are driving sales, marketshare and in turn, mindshare. Problem is, there's no NFC on the 435, 520, 530, 532 or 535. Not a good place to be while you're trying to entice financial or retail partners to back a mobile NFC payment system. Back to square one unfortunately.
    Byrese likes this.
    03-02-2015 09:46 AM
    Thing is, in the countries where these low end phones dominate you aren't likely to get phone pay points any way (heck you can't even get xbox payment cards yet). In the markets where this matters the low end I not so much of a focus. It's like dual sim, you only need it in countries where it matters.
    Byrese likes this.
    03-02-2015 12:26 PM
    Since I back with Windows Mobile new name; I too would like a solution since Android Pay is ramping up and the king of tap and pay - Apple Pay is going to other countries. Microsoft has it in EU but in the U.S.; the carriers don't want to cooperate! It looks like Microsoft..... again is going be the one left out of the smartphone payment system in the U.S. marketplace!
    06-03-2015 08:11 PM
    Posted about this after Build, but it appears there's good news and bad news here. Good news: it appears Microsoft has a solution, but the bad news is that it'll require Host Card Emulation, which means only newer devices will support it:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-10-mobile/354612-host-card-emulation-nfc-payments-newer-devices-only.html
    ​​
    06-03-2015 08:52 PM
    I hope Microsoft don't create its own paying system, cause using NFC to pay items are very dangerous.

Hackers can put their phone nearby your phone and stole all your data, use your SoftCard etc with the help of NFC
    06-04-2015 04:29 AM
    I hope Microsoft don't create its own paying system, cause using NFC to pay items are very dangerous.

Hackers can put their phone nearby your phone and stole all your data, use your SoftCard etc with the help of NFC
    No, they can't. Even if they could, how is that worse than current credit cards with tap to pay built in or only magnetic strips which are easily copied.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-05-2015 04:05 PM
    06-11-2015 04:08 PM
    There is no need for speculation on this topic. MS made an official announcement about their intentions months ago...

"During WinHEC 2015 Microsoft revealed that Windows 10 for phones will support Host Card Emulation (HCE). HCE will allow any smartphone with Windows 10 and NFC hardware to transmit payments from the device to an NFC terminal designed to receive that money but without needing a special secure app like Softcard. It also won't require any secure SIMs from wireless carriers. The slide shows that VISA, MasterCard and American Express are supporting this feature"

Windows 10 for phone to support NFC payments similar to Apple Pay | Windows Central

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Host_card_emulation
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-13-2015 11:44 AM
    Has any build of Win10 yet shown tap-to-pay support?
    06-24-2015 02:07 PM
    I expect the current proprietary implementations to die out in favor of standards based implementations in the future. The current situation with all of these banks and retailers having to implement these new payment layers multiple times to support competing phone specific standards is ridiculous and it's slowing the rate of adoption by causing market fragmentation.

You should read up on Host Card Emulation. It might change your point of view. It basically works at any pay terminal that already supports NFC and Visa, MasterCard, or AmEx. Unlike all the other current standards that try to add one or more back end layers/processors, HCE simply replaces a card with a phone and beyond the retail payment terminal everything is the same as using a physical card. Same payment processors, protocols, and transmission channels from the retailer's pay terminal to the customer's bank. It's also worth noting that Android is supporting HCE as well.
    06-25-2015 12:38 PM
67 123