03-05-2015 07:56 PM
60 123
tools
    I just know one thing, whenever they release the flagships be it 9xx,10xx,15xx or Something surface inspired, phenomenal camera tech combined with windows 10, IT IS GOING TO BE AWESOME !!!!!!
    Talderon likes this.
    03-05-2015 04:45 AM
    Well this is interesting. Carriers not only want WPs, they want low end WPs to put more pressure on Android/Apple. It's the UK site so I don't think this applies to the U.S.

Mobile Phone Reviews: Infosonics: Carriers Want Windows Phones
    As much as we hate to think about it, the mobile landscape, whatever form you want to be in, is a business. It's a competition. You have to have a strategy to make headway into the market and build from that foundation.

Look, I ma not one to relish in excitement when mid to low end phones are announced other than knowing that it will help further the adaptation of the platform and give it some exposure.

Now, if you REALLY think about it and hear about how well the low end phones are doing and even get a chance to play with one and you are in the position to afford a flagship, then what are you going to do? Spend more money. It's a cycle, it's not perfect, but it seems to be working.

By leveraging the low end devices in emerging markets, they are getting free publicity and marketing with all of the news articles being put out. Granted, not all good, but it's something.

Word of mouth works, I have run successful businesses just by that method only. Gains are not what Microsoft may like, but a gain is a gain. Holding back on Flagship Phones until we have Windows 10 is a great idea to help them showcase the new OS and how it can actually utilize the power they hare putting behind it.

I remember with Android and coming out with Multi-Core processors and everyone was going crazy about it. Funny thing. The OS, at that point, couldn't even use more than one core for a while, so the hardware was wasted, even though on paper and ads, it looked really good and helped sell. The consumers just don't get it, but they do get more is better.

Ramble Ramble Ramble... no one knows for sure what the plan is, but with Microsoft and their deep pockets, they can weather the storm and look long term and go for the end-game.

I'll go along for the ride. Not because I am a "fan boy" or a "die-hard" Microsoft Geek (the latter being true), but Windows Phone suits my tastes, my usage needs and they look great. All things that are important to me. Microsoft has made my life. My career is based on their technology and my families well-being is ties to them in that way as well. The least I can do is stick by them on something I believe and like. :D

Edit: And I just read this... LOL!

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/mic...egy,28697.html
    HeyCori and rhapdog like this.
    03-05-2015 07:33 AM
    Thanks for the link. It was a good read. It's easy to forget how many OEMs are producing WPs worldwide.
    Talderon likes this.
    03-05-2015 09:24 AM
    Thanks for the link. It was a good read. It's easy to forget how many OEMs are producing WPs worldwide.
    People sometimes forget that the US is not the only market. :)
    HeyCori and fatclue_98 like this.
    03-05-2015 10:00 AM
    I wish I could agree with those who would have wanted a new flagship before Windows 10. The ones that were released did not set the world on fire in the sales column so why would anybody expect a different result? I think it's a sound business decision to wait until W10 comes out to then drop a sledgehammer on the market.
    HeyCori, Talderon and rhapdog like this.
    03-05-2015 10:11 AM
    Well this is interesting. Carriers not only want WPs, they want low end WPs to put more pressure on Android/Apple. It's the UK site so I don't think this applies to the U.S.

Mobile Phone Reviews: Infosonics: Carriers Want Windows Phones
    So why do they make it so hard to buy one when you go into their stores? This claim has been around for years yet the stories of people being turned away from buying a WP device continue. I bet they are just saying this to get some money from Microsoft as they never follow through and always push ios and android.
    03-05-2015 10:36 AM
    I wish I could agree with those who would have wanted a new flagship before Windows 10. The ones that were released did not set the world on fire in the sales column so why would anybody expect a different result? I think it's a sound business decision to wait until W10 comes out to then drop a sledgehammer on the market.
    If that's the case and a WP flagship is doomed to fail what good will waiting for Windows 10 do? Not sure what "sledgehammer" is going to drop with 10.
    03-05-2015 10:37 AM
    So why do they make it so hard to buy one when you go into their stores? This claim has been around for years yet the stories of people being turned away from buying a WP device continue. I bet they are just saying this to get some money from Microsoft as they never follow through and always push ios and android.
    I've never purchased a WP in the UK so I'm not sure what it's like over there.
    peachy001 likes this.
    03-05-2015 10:47 AM
    If that's the case and a WP flagship is doomed to fail what good will waiting for Windows 10 do? Not sure what "sledgehammer" is going to drop with 10.
    I never said it was doomed to fail, I just stated that the previous WP8/8.1 models didn't sell very well in comparison to other WP models. That's documented fact. As for the sledgehammer, I believe it's in Microsoft's best interest to hit the market with a game-changing device whether it be hardware or software based. More of the usual is not going to cut it.
    a5cent likes this.
    03-05-2015 10:52 AM
    The article is about carriers outside the US. Not everyone is in the US. US Carriers are a different animal altogether.

How is a WP flagship doomed to fail?

The issue is this: Why should Microsoft release a new flagship with the same old operating system, when they can wait, do it with Windows 10 preinstalled which will support more types of hardware and better hardware? Then they can put out a model that can really take advantage of Windows 10 fully to show the world what can be done. If they put out one before Windows 10, it would be a crippled version compared to the Windows 10 model coming out shortly after. Not worth it.
    03-05-2015 11:11 AM
    I've never purchased a WP in the UK so I'm not sure what it's like over there.
    When I was searching for a 920, seems like 100 years ago now, some of the staff looked at me like I was trying to buy secondhand food. One guy asked what I wanted, and when I mentioned the 920, he had no idea why. When I mentioned the camera, he told me that all phones "have 8mp now, so they are all the same". He didn't get my business.

I have no doubt that they have improved, but a flagship is the thing that would cause a major shift in there thinking, with a big launch. Create a buzz!
    03-05-2015 11:42 AM
    The issue is this: Why should Microsoft release a new flagship with the same old operating system, when they can wait, do it with Windows 10 preinstalled which will support more types of hardware and better hardware? Then they can put out a model that can really take advantage of Windows 10 fully to show the world what can be done. If they put out one before Windows 10, it would be a crippled version compared to the Windows 10 model coming out shortly after. Not worth it.
    Somebody that gets it. Thank you.
    03-05-2015 11:57 AM
    The article is about carriers outside the US. Not everyone is in the US. US Carriers are a different animal altogether.
    The same bias against buying WP devices has been reported on this forum by buyers all over the world, not just the US.

How is a WP flagship doomed to fail? .
    This was in reference to the earlier claim that WP devices don't sell in essence saying they are not successful and effectively doomed to fail.

Under normal circumstances with a platform that was doing even reasonably well not releasing a flagship wouldn't be an issue but the a rapidly decreasing market share and only theoretical reasons so far to attract new users to Windows 10 going another 6 months being practically non existent in smartphone buyers minds is not a good strategy. And what is it about Windows 10 that is going to be so amazing that warrants waiting for it, apart from it being the latest version? What if Windows 10 doesn't change anything, will they stop releasing flagships till the next version of the OS?

Maybe we should ask, if low end devices are such a good idea why did WP market share shrink instead of grow compared to the other two leading platforms? Isn't that an indicator that this strategy as well isn't working as everyone would have people believe?
    Spectrum90 likes this.
    03-05-2015 12:11 PM
    No. Not at all. There are enough flagship devices out there that STILL rate on the High-End even when compared to NEW flagship devices on other platforms to still stay relevant. The new OS will breathe new life into those devices and pave the way to even better ones in the future.
    I totally agree with you. I waved my 1520 (respectfully) in Tuula's face this week and challenged her about how she can make a flagship that's better than this.

I was more than happy with what she had to say on the subject. Whatever comes next will be truly innovative, aspirational and have a high longevity.
    Talderon and a5cent like this.
    03-05-2015 12:24 PM
    I just hope my patience will be worth it
    Talderon and DatManWolf like this.
    03-05-2015 01:32 PM
    I just hope my patience will be worth it
    Dear Lord me too!
    03-05-2015 02:07 PM
    I don't remember...When is, the 640, supposed to come out?......I'll try one. If we can have it in Canada.
    03-05-2015 02:38 PM
    Mid April? On pre-order on Amazon in Europe. I think they will have a good battery life too, I think they have 20% more battery than my 920. I also imagine that the Snapdragon 400 is possibly much improved on my 920 processor.

Looking forward to them giving us an idea of when W10 will release. And I am hoping for some decent features, as well as decent phones. I'm positive about W10, and the potential it could bring.
    03-05-2015 02:48 PM
    Maybe we should ask, if low end devices are such a good idea why...
    Perhaps we should, for now, agree to disagree, since you obviously don't have the ability to see what is planned for the long term, being so blinded by thinking same past mistakes are being made that you cannot see the future vision of Microsoft.
    03-05-2015 03:12 PM
    I don't buy/keep a phone based on what others say. It's what works for me that is the ultimate factor. That being said, I am VERY intrigued by the Phoneblocks/Project Ara devices. Potentially, you upgrade out just what you want/need. No need for a whole new handset. You want better camera, upgrade just that. Want more memory, just add it. Etc.

It all sounds too good to be true, and I'm betting that they will price the components to be more expensive in the long run anyway.
    03-05-2015 03:12 PM

How is a WP flagship doomed to fail?

No one is asking for a crippled version of Windows 10 on a flagship phone to be released. Why not release a fully functional Windows 8.2 that many people don't have?
    They could have easily done this in preparation for Windows 10. This is the time of the year for new phones to be released not Os's.... To delay releasing a new flagship phone or even leaking about it shows that Microsoft doesn't understand the importance of this to the public.

It's all well and good to release low end devices and even mid tier phones to the rest of the world but if they ever want the USA to embrace the platform this isn't the best way to go about it.

Cry me a river if you want but then build me bridge to get over it... Posted from my HTC M8
    DatManWolf likes this.
    03-05-2015 03:30 PM
    No one is asking for a crippled version of Windows 10 on a flagship phone to be released. Why not release a fully functional Windows 8.2 that many people don't have?
    They could have easily done this in preparation for Windows 10. This is the time of the year for new phones to be released not Os's.... To delay releasing a new flagship phone or even leaking about it shows that Microsoft doesn't understand the importance of this to the public.

It's all well and good to release low end devices and even mid tier phones to the rest of the world but if they ever want the USA to embrace the platform this isn't the best way to go about it.

Cry me a river if you want but then build me bridge to get over it... Posted from my HTC M8
    I disagree. How many companies release tech previews to gauge customer feedback and then cull the results to release as close to a finished product as possible? Rushing a product to market can be disastrous and it is my opinion that Microsoft is doing it right.

Sent from my iPad Mini 3 using Tapatalk because it amuses me. Gotta problem with that?
    Talderon and rhapdog like this.
    03-05-2015 03:51 PM
    I disagree. How many companies release tech previews to gauge customer feedback and then cull the results to release as close to a finished product as possible? Rushing a product to market can be disastrous and it is my opinion that Microsoft is doing it right.

Sent from my iPad Mini 3 using Tapatalk because it amuses me. Gotta problem with that?
    There is a hellofadifference between releasing a flagship phone with the latest stable version of the current os as opposed to a alpha build which is what you would get with Windows 10. This would cause nothing but trouble they don't need. Releasing a Windows 10 version now would be a disaster for the general public.

Microsoft needs to release the latest version of Windows 8.2 with full Cortana support for the devices that can run it and have in place a Flagship phone that can utilize Windows 10 to the fullest now...

It's ludicrous to have to take a back seat to every other platform just because of the market share.

If they don't have the balls to compete head to head with them they should get the hell out of the race.

Cry me a river then build a bridge and get over it
    03-05-2015 04:42 PM
    Windows Phone is losing their most valuable customers because Microsoft didn't want to invest in a flagship phone.
    03-05-2015 04:50 PM
    Seriously... They should...

They have the means to do this.. and could easily take on the carriers head to head in sales here in their own Microsoft stores.

They are opening more stores each month.. Time to take the carriers out of the equation for sales. No carrier bloat... bypass them entirely for waiting on a update. They could offer subsidies just as easily and no one would ever have to wait on the carriers to put out a update again.

They could take on Google and Apple head to head and deal directly to the public.

Cry me a river then build a bridge and get over it
    03-05-2015 04:51 PM
60 123