Microsoft Outsmarts Apple Watch

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I believe Hololens might be that cool Microsoft product.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

While HoloLens is conceptually cool, the lack of availability information makes me wonder how it'll get beyond the level of being a niche product, as Google Glass struggled with. I expect the price to turn a lot of people off to what is essentially a neat toy, and we don't know what kind of external software support it will get.

Microsoft's got something really good with the Band. The Apple Watch does so very little, and even while bumming its GPS (and some other) functionality off of the iPhone, it still comes with a battery life half that of the Band, in the best of cases. The sapphire display and the general size of the display seem to have been a real negative to battery life with the Apple Watch, and throw in their attempts to make it play games and do so many useless things, and they threw away the appeal to the masses of today (those looking for fitness trackers) for some lesser novelties whose uses aren't really apparent.

That the Band does so much more than the Watch isn't enough on its own. However, Microsoft did two things right to make the Band a viable product for the future: they got it to market quickly, and they put it at a price that really leads the main competitors, when you compare features. Getting a Band-level experience with FitBit comes at a $50 premium, while the Apple Watch STARTS at a $150 premium for questionable usability. The best thing is that they beat Apple to market, and in doing so, left a lot of people without the "cool factor" of Apple to sway their opinions in the stores. Now, people know what the Band can do, and we're seeing how much of that the Apple Watch CAN'T do. Timing's often been a huge issue with Microsoft (too late with Windows Phone, too early with the Xbox One's DRM policies), so it's nice that they finally got it right.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I am glad that Microsoft made the band and not a watch. With the current geek culture, it seems much more likely to see someone wearing a fitbit or similar fitness tracker on their wrist than a watch, smart or not.

I do think the apple watch will sell well, because its apple. But I don't know what it does to smart watches as a product category, because it doesn't seem like the android watches are selling any better. I dont see any smart watches becoming too widespread until someone can figure out how to charge these things quicker or hold a charge longer.

Grimlock

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
A few observations as to why MS has lost again, although I should wait until the Apple Watch is actually released:

- Tremendous press coverage compared to MS Band (featured covers in fashion and fitness magazines, Good Morning America, etc.)
- 3rd Party companies already making accessories (band adapters, straps, expanded battery, etc)
- Developers already committed to apps before launch (i.e. American Airlines, Delta, United)

There is without question a lot of buzz surrounding the device. I know many people will say "Apple fans are stupid and they will buy anything" but that sort of mentality is total nonsense and very childish. If MS put the full weight of the company behind the MS Band like Apple has with their watch- I wouldn't be having to post this.

Marketing is so incredibly important and MS has very serious problems with it. While they have had some campaigns with the Xbox that were good, this really should be something at the top of MS's priorities. The MS execs should be directly involved in fact. Steve Jobs himself was so involved in Ads, something I'm sure very few CEOs really care about.

I will once again point out that I personally am not impressed with the device, my purpose here is draw attention to the fact that Microsoft needs to pay close attention and start taking notes. Do they model their approach after Apple? Of course not- that wouldn't work but some introspection will help pinpoint their shortcomings.

I have been very critical of fanboyism at Windows Central as of late because I feel like it is extremely counterproductive and actually a disservice to Microsoft. If the community here was more honest with themselves and voiced their discontent with the way MS has been handling WP, Band, etc. they very well could take our complaints seriously. I really do feel as if the die hard MS fanbase actually stands up that we could influence Microsoft before its too late.

todd7900

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Except for being pretty and Apple Pay what does the Apple Watch do that the Band doesn't? The band has notifications, Cortana, time, as well as better fitness sensors.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Except for being pretty and Apple Pay what does the Apple Watch do that the Band doesn't? The band has notifications, Cortana, time, as well as better fitness sensors.

Maps + GPS + walking turn by turn, Taptic feed back, Watch Faces, Full interaction with the phone, any number of Apps in development. The ability to control a smart home ( Lights, Locks, Camera's). You should see the breakdown of it in the launch event for a better idea of what it can or can not do, just the drawing in messaging alone is a weird trick that could catch on.

Where I work I have had 2 people who I would say are less then Tech Geeks ask me what I know about the "iWatch" they saw talked about, and they wanted to know if it would work with their Samsung phones.

I agree The Band is by far the better at Fitness/Health uses...but it is not a Watch, even if it has some limited time keeping ability.

In truth the two should not be set against each other as they are different devices.

Grimlock

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I really think the apps will set the Apple Watch apart from everyone else. The developer community has a lot of potential to get creative with the watch- not saying it's guaranteed but there is at least excitement and buzz around it (more than MS has generated with universal apps).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon